PDA

View Full Version : Rendering in the negatives

jeric_synergy
12-24-2012, 04:37 PM
I just did a sorta stupid thing: tried rendering NEGATIVE frames (frames numbered less than zero).

All I think I got out of it was frames w/a lot more zeros in front of their numbers than I had set.

Is there any way to do this profitably, and get the resulting frames into AE?

Just for grins.

nickdigital
12-25-2012, 04:50 AM
If you rename your sequence you should be able to get them into AE fine.

Why not shift your animation in LW?

Cageman
12-25-2012, 06:59 AM
Negative frames are a hassle to deal with, especially if you are doing lots of compositing, since you would need to renumber the negative frames so that -100 is listed before -099, which isn't the case out of the box. So, essentially, you have to select all your negative frames and renumber them so that they come in the correct order... and... well... if you have 20 buffers to do this for, you will not want to go there ever again. :)

Many studios have adapted another workflow to deal with afterthoughts as in adding more frames in the beginning of a shot. Instead of dealing with offsetting animations, which could get quite cumbersome if you have a multi-app pipeline where each package needs to be offseted exactly the same, studios are using 101, 201, 301 etc as the startframe. Some studios are using 1001 as the startframe, which is kind of extreme, but will help fx-work with pre-roll (particle/fluid caches and so on).

probiner
12-25-2012, 03:48 PM
This is way I see animators starting at frame 100. Give you something to bread and some simulations to settle.

Cheers

Ryan Roye
12-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Download a program called rname it (http://www.brothersoft.com/rname-it-4690.html). This program is handy for all kinds of bulk-rename actions, be it numeric, alphabetic, etc. Specifically, you could re-name your positive frames in such a fashion that it will leave room for your negative frames.

In the future, try to avoid putting content inside negative frames if you are dealing with many image sequences.

jeric_synergy
12-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions.

It is certainly a bad habit to get into. I really like the "frame0=fr1000" idea, although I already find it irritating to scroll down past zero in certain places (is there a lock so the specified start frame never gets changed?) in the UI.

I'll try to have enough self-control to not put myself in this situation again.....

Silkrooster
12-25-2012, 11:00 PM
The best way to never get into a situation is to get into the situation so you can learn to never get into that situation. LOL...:)

lertola2
12-28-2012, 02:26 PM
You can use negative frames in After Effects. Put them in a separate folder from the positive frames. Import them into aftereffects where they will play backwards. Then use time remapping to flip the timing.