PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning LW 7's and 5.6's features

cucaracha
11-03-2003, 01:11 PM
Hi,

I have a little question, I hope somebody can help me.

Which feature does Lightwave 7 has, that Lightwave 5.6 hasn't?

I mean, really technical, is the render device faster/better, does 5.6 support equal GI w/ HDRI and so on...

I would be glad if you can help me, thanks in advance :)
(And I hope you understood everything since english isn't my native language)

cu

Phil
11-03-2003, 01:40 PM
LW7 has a host of features that 5.6 doesn't. Some of these you can add to 5.6 using plugins, assuming the vendors are still around, but others are only available in 7.x.

The workflow in 7.x is greatly simplified by the presence of a (flawed, but useful) spreadsheet editor; resizeable graph editor (including key types - TCB, bezier, etc.); preset shelf for most areas. Multiple viewports in Layout took a while to get used to, but now I wouldn't be able to work as quickly without them.

Rendering wise, you have volumetric lights and fog in 5.6 using Steamer, but it's flaky and you have to mark surfaces with a shader plugin before these effects can be reflected; there is no internal support for GI in 5.6; there is no support for HDRI usage in 5.6

You can only use 4 instances of the various plugin types under 5.6 and you cannot reorder them without text editing the scene file. 7.x is AFAIK limitless in this respect.

There is no inbuilt expression system in 5.6 although you can buy Relativity from Prem and since 2.0 is still not finished, you should still be able to get the 5.6 compatible Relativity 1.0 version. Personally, I still prefer Relativity 2.0 to the LW expression system, but there you go :)

Surfacing in 7.x is greatly improved compared to the 5.6 system. Lighting is also much more powerful, mainly because it appears to have inherited the power added to the surface editor.

Basically, download the latest update and install it - it should run as the discovery edition of LW and you can find out for yourself :)

Phil.

cucaracha
11-03-2003, 01:52 PM
Thanks a lot!
That was all I wanted :)

cu