PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and 3dsMax

Samoht VII
12-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Hi All,
I recently finished my university degree and I am reading up on 3d modelling jobs and noticed that many employers say they are looking for people proficient in 3dsMax. Is there any reason why a company would prefer one (LW, 3dsMax) over the other or do they not really know enough about it so they just say 3dsMax. Can Lightwave export to 3dsMax well enough that I should be able to use LW then export if I were to get a job? I didn't make the wrong decision when choosing a 3d package to use did I?

Thanks

RebelHill
12-23-2012, 05:14 PM
You'll hear lots about this app does this, this app does that... generally, the MAIN reason a given company goes with a given app is the size of the labour pool who know that app. In the main, thats max/maya. And sure, u can export meshes back n forth between apps easily enough... with most (but not all) of the mesh "details" intact... But for the most part, irrespective of "interoperability", u'll need to use the app the company wants, or they'll find someone else who does.

Lewis
12-23-2012, 05:25 PM
you can't export *.max format directly (none can beside 3DSMAX 'coz it's proprietary format) bu you can export geometry from LW to *.OBJ ro Collada or FBX formats to keep it good all quads etc. But materials aren't compatible between programs o you'll need to re-texture big chunk of it in MAX if they wish *.max format.

Surrealist.
12-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Hi All,
I recently finished my university degree and I am reading up on 3d modelling jobs and noticed that many employers say they are looking for people proficient in 3dsMax. Is there any reason why a company would prefer one (LW, 3dsMax) over the other or do they not really know enough about it so they just say 3dsMax.
Thanks

There is a world of difference from one 3D package to the next. I think by and large most places know exactly what they want to do and they have figured out what package is going to do that best for them. This is an area rife with misconception, in my opinion. But to put it straight. I believe companies use the software they think is best suited for the job. There is really no other reason. And when you consider the amount of job offers in certain packages, it should tell you what the majority of companies are choosing. These are smart people. They don't choose a software for any other reason than what is best suited for the jobs they do. Schools more or less follow suit. They offer training in the software that is mostly being used, for the reasons stated above.

LightWave has its place. And the shops that use it have good reason.

Hi All,
I didn't make the wrong decision when choosing a 3d package to use did I?
Thanks

That is going to depend on what you want to do. Where you want to work.

LightWave is a good app to know. It has many capabilities. If you are concerned about the amount of jobs available in LightWave compared to other packages, I am not really sure that is as big of a factor as it may seem.

The bottom line is to just be damn good at what you do. Be simply 10x better than everyone. I mean really, it can not be stated more simply. If your demo reel kicks A you won't have any problem finding working in LightWave. If it sucks, you won't find work. That applies to any package.

As a young person - I am to assume - there is really no reason not to master other tools. These days, most software companies offer great opportunity for educational software. Sometimes free. Any of the AD software can be used by students for free. The point here, is there is no real excuse for not preparing yourself for the work world. Money is not the issue. But you will have to spend time.

Many shops use LightWave along with other apps. So this is a good thing to have on your resume if you were to add another package to your tool set. There are lots of opportunities for pretty much every package. And yes some software seems more prevalent in the job listings.

But what I would do at this stage is to take a step back and look objectively at the situation and explore the various options for yourself, from your own perspective and decide first what seems best suited for you but also objectively what package is going to give you the best opportunities. I personally would go by what creative avenues my choice of software allows me, first and second by what job options there are. The reason I say that is I believe you have to be good with where you are. And then be in the right place at the right time and be prepared to take advantage of the opportunity when one arises.

If you are good, and you show up at the right time prepared. You will always be working. Regardless of what software you use.