PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Logo lighting effect

jimiclaybrooks
12-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Guys, I'm sure you've seen the lighting effect where the god-rays shoot thru a line of copy. Sorry I don't know the actual name for that effect, but i've been trying to get it in lighwave, and its not been working. I took the line of copy and did a boolean with a single polygon to make a cutout, but the volumetric light won't give me what I'm after. Below is a picture of what I've got so far. 110015 You can see where the light comes thru the template, but there's all this glare also. Clearly, I'm missing something here. Its not as easy as I thought it would be. Is there a tut that I can follow on how to do this the right way? thanks

prometheus
12-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Uhmm.donīt see anything wrong with it, godrays are more the term for sunbeams through clouds I would say, this is just a volumetric light effect.

seems you got it working as it should, just need to set the volumetric light setting as you want it in terms in scale, volumetric radius, attenuation,density etc.
What light typ are you using?

The glare? it is just the natural circumstances of the volumetric light, canīt see how to avoid that really, you are aiming for just light streaks from the text?
Maybe use after effects instead that arenīt volumetric, like trapcode shine or generate light rays.

Michael

Dexter2999
12-23-2012, 10:31 AM
A brighter source light?
So that there is greater contrast?

What is your ambient intensity set to?
How many bounces?
What is the cone height set to?

Just throwing a few things out there to consider. But there are plenty of settings that affect the final output.

jimiclaybrooks
12-23-2012, 10:40 AM
110025I had all the standard settings for a spotlight. Cone angle is 30 deg, soft edge angle id 5 deg, and ambient intensity is 0. Bounces? I didn't set it up as a radiosity render, so I'm not sure what you mean by bounces. cone height is waaaay more than I needed, like 50 meters. And yeah, what I want are nice clean lines where the letters cut the lightrays into distinguishable letters. If that's not possible, maybe I'll try my hand at After Effects. But honestly, I'd rather do it in LWave if at all possible. BTW, I've tried both, sprite mode and the other mode at all the settings. Of course, the highest quality setting takes the longest time to render.

jimiclaybrooks
12-23-2012, 10:41 AM
I had all the standard settings for a spotlight. Cone angle is 30 deg, soft edge angle id 5 deg, and ambient intensity is 0. Bounces? I didn't set it up as a radiosity render, so I'm not sure what you mean by bounces. cone height is waaaay more than I needed, like 50 meters. And yeah, what I want are nice clean lines where the letters cut the lightrays into distinguishable letters. If that's not possible, maybe I'll try my hand at After Effects. But honestly, I'd rather do it in LWave if at all possible.

Dexter2999
12-23-2012, 11:49 AM
You can certainly do it in LW. I've done it a couple of times for kicks (meaning never for a real project). But I know it takes a looooonnnnnng time on my machine. An After Effects plug in may be a much quicker route.

Attached is how I do it. You mentioned not using Radiosity, I've done it with and without for the effect of the Volumetric Radiosity. It's just a personal choice.

jimiclaybrooks
12-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Dexter, I just finished a dry run in AE, and it certainly is faster. I agree, the volumetric render is really slow. So far, I"ve not seen anything under 12 to 15 minutes a frame, and that was just a 3 pass. God help me with a 7 or 9 pass render. At this point, I'll just go with AE and see what happens. thanks musc

jeric_synergy
12-23-2012, 11:56 PM
It's almost certainly going to be far faster as a 'fake' (but perfectly convincing) 2d effect in AE than rendering in 3D in LW.

I'm not familiar enough w/AE's actual 3D capabilities to make a guess there.