PDA

View Full Version : Do Happy Digital Plugins work with 11.5?

ErichSchreiner
12-22-2012, 01:40 AM
Hi there,

just a question please: Does anyone know if the happy digital plugins (hd instance, edge fx, caustics) do work with lightwave 11 and 11.5?

I sent them emails but did not get an answer so far. I also asked worley labs about sasquatch a few weeks ago, but no answer from them either.

Are those developed further?

thanks, merry xmas and a happy new year to you all!

Erich

DigitalSorcery8
12-22-2012, 01:51 AM
I recently tried HD Instance1 with LW11 and it worked, but there appeared to be a memory leak in that after a certain number of frames it would use all 16gb or RAM in my system and then crashed LW. Don't know if it's a LW11 problem or HDI1 problem - or both. I have yet to test any Worley plugins w/LW11.

Do a search in the Third Party section below and there are some replies regarding Worley plugins and LW11 - some work and some don't.

3DGFXStudios
12-22-2012, 02:55 AM
I don't think they'll receive any updates anymore.

jwiede
12-22-2012, 06:26 AM
Actually, HDInstance was updated fairly recently to resolve an issue on the Mac side, so if bugs or incompatibilities are found, I believe Graham will still resolve them.

Kryslin
12-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Sasquatch works just fine as of LW11.0.3 - but only with a dongle. It doesn't work with the new dongle-less license. I don't know about any other Worley plugins, though there were some issues mentioned with FPrime somewhere down in the depths of the board...

Greenlaw
12-22-2012, 09:58 AM
11.5 hasn't been released yet so I don't think plugin developers will comment on this, even if they knew if their plugins worked with it. Because beta software can potentially change every day until it's released, many plug-in developers don't even start looking for issues until after the host software is released.

G.

ErichSchreiner
12-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the info!

I thought that these plugins are kind of essential for working with lightwave. To hear that they might not be updated in the future makes me a bit nervous. To invest in something that might be going down is not what i really like to do :)

Do you think this functionality will be implemented into lightwave over time? Are there any substitutes?

3DGFXStudios
12-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the info!

I thought that these plugins are kind of essential for working with lightwave. To hear that they might not be updated in the future makes me a bit nervous. To invest in something that might be going down is not what i really like to do :)

Do you think this functionality will be implemented into lightwave over time? Are there any substitutes?

Essential? Not at all. Maybe they where 5 years ago. But LW now has native instancing and most of the other plugins are 32bit only which means they can't be essential because almost (it think) every professional works with the x64 bit version of lw. I for example haven't used a 32bit version in at least 5 years. Almost all plugins are replaced by dpont's plugins. Except the caustics but they are native in LW however the native stuff isn't that great.

Greenlaw
12-22-2012, 08:00 PM
...I don't know about any other Worley plugins...
FWIW, I used a couple of Taft and Polk plugins in 11 a few weeks ago and these seemed to work fine. I haven't tried all of them though.

G.

ErichSchreiner
12-23-2012, 02:04 AM
@3DGFXStudios

Thanks. I assumed they might be 64 - never checked that though.

Thanks for your input, saved me some money.

I thought i have read a thread here recently where all those plugins were recommended for one who would open a small 3d studio, and it wasn't that old. Will check the dpont plugins out.

I bought lwcad a few days ago, and that is really an awesome piece of software.

ErichSchreiner
12-23-2012, 02:52 AM
Is this node from dpont the substitute for the Happy Digital EdgeFX?
Shaders:Edge
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html

3DGFXStudios
12-23-2012, 04:41 AM
Yes I think it is. It look useful but I never use those edge bevel shaders. Computers nowadays can handle a lot of polys but it can save you a lot of time in some cases. LWCad is indeed awesome. One of the best additions to LW.
Also make sure you get exrTrader if you haven't got it already.

Greenlaw
12-23-2012, 10:10 AM
I use DP edge with Fracture and Bullet. If you apply it to the 'inside' surfaces, the edges remain hidden until they are revealed during breakage. It's an easy cheat that works well enough for many situations. It's main advantage is that if I had physically modeled the bevels into the object instead, you would see the edges before the breaking started.

If you scrub towards the end of this video (at around 1:07) you can see a simple test I did using this trick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT0TzT7m_ZM

In my experience, each edge bevel shader works a little differently. For example, one of them can shade an open edge that has no depth but doesn't work with subpatch objects, and another will work with subpatch but not shade open edges. (I think I'm comparing HD EdgeFX with TB's Edge Bevel here--at the moment I don't remember which has which limitation.) In other words, it's good to have all of these options available because they all have unique shading properties and uses.

FYI, there are three edge shaders that I'm aware of HD EdgeFX, DP Edge, and TB's Edge Bevel (I'm not sure this last one still works, and it's probably x32 only.) I believe a similar effect can also be done using nodal shading tools, though I haven't tried this myself.

And then there will be times where there is simply no substitution for genuine modeling. :p

G.

3DGFXStudios
12-23-2012, 10:14 AM
That's a very nice tip :) Thanks!

ErichSchreiner
12-25-2012, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the tip, Greenlaw!

Just wanted to let you guys know that Graham of Happy Digital responded and that HD Instance works with 11.5.