PDA

View Full Version : Clarisse demo available for download

Boris Goreta
12-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Pretty impressive !

http://www.isotropix.com/index.php?to=products&productid=1&view=trynow

Darth Mole
12-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Looking forward to trying the OS X version of this. Be nice to hear reports back from Win users...

zarti
12-21-2012, 06:51 PM
thanks for the info .

.cheers

Svenart
12-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Looks very interesting, how is the lwo and lws import working there?

Phil
12-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Windows and Linux only. Shame.

geo_n
12-22-2012, 02:48 AM
Clarisse iFX per user USD 2,995
Clarisse iFX Maintenance per license USD 995
Clarisse standalone(CNODE) per node USD 995
CNODE Maintenance per node USD 329

A bit steep. You can buy a full app for 5K USD. Installing the ple anyway.

Boris Goreta
12-22-2012, 03:11 AM
I wish they sell as many licences as possible and continue with the development. This is good for everybody. I just invested in GPU rendering within Lightwave so I'll see how that plays out in real work environment.

Darth Mole
12-22-2012, 04:12 AM
The price will drop; it has to. Once every studio that wants it has it, they have nowhere else to go but to the lower-budget end of the market. It won't ever be 'cheap', but I'm hoping for an affordable but useable PLE version, like Realflow does. That's a smart move I think.

OFF
12-22-2012, 04:31 AM
Very impressive! So easy and smooth with heavy object manipulation - city of 8000 000 million polys rotating/moving so easy like a simple primitive!

prometheus
12-22-2012, 06:09 AM
Very impressive...got to try this at home, this seems to have itīs place for a lot of set extensions.

Michael

tyrot
12-22-2012, 08:08 AM
off - what is your pc specs.? I found it a bit lagging... thanks

OFF
12-22-2012, 08:20 AM
It's old AMD Phenom II x6 1055 (4.1Ggz OC), 16gb ram, GeForce 570.
I have a scene I'm working on for several months, scene "weighs" about 9,5 million polygons, Lightwave can it display only in wired and loads it for about 5 minutes. Clarisse loads the objects of this scene in the seconds, though they are loaded without textures ..

dsol
12-22-2012, 11:38 AM
This sounds like an absolutely amazing tool. If Modo 101 was a replacement modeller for LW, then this is a replacement Layout. Or it would be if it wasn't so freakishly expensive!
I'm sure they'll sell plenty of licenses to big studios. But I wish they'd consider doing a lower-end version for starving artists! The PLE limitations are too severe (particularly the watermarking) to make it useful - especially with no route from the PLE version to the full version (unlike, say, Houdini)

Of course, being an OSX user, I haven't tried it yet. It might be a buggy POS for all I know ;)

fablefox
12-23-2012, 12:18 AM
This sounds like an absolutely amazing tool. If Modo 101 was a replacement modeller for LW, then this is a replacement Layout. Or it would be if it wasn't so freakishly expensive!
I'm sure they'll sell plenty of licenses to big studios. But I wish they'd consider doing a lower-end version for starving artists! The PLE limitations are too severe (particularly the watermarking) to make it useful - especially with no route from the PLE version to the full version (unlike, say, Houdini)

Of course, being an OSX user, I haven't tried it yet. It might be a buggy POS for all I know ;)

They really focus on the studios for now. Hence the free PLE. They just doing it to make easier for studios to find IFX users. It's apple an orange, kind of way. Although studios can obviously train if they think the software is worth it (which it is) but by making PLE free instead of $99 or something (case in point educational version of ZBrush, Modo, LW, etc).

Now that I mentioned it, it is interesting that such priced software have a free PLE, just like Houdini, maybe one day LW will follow suit?

Afalk
12-23-2012, 06:15 AM
Looks awesome & i will definitely give it a try.

Netvudu
12-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Many people speaking about Clarisse selling many licenses to high-end studios...well....weīll see thatīs what I say. All the workflow I see on those videos is clearly oriented to individual and /or generalists, pretty far from the way big pipelines work. Such use of instancing itīs only useful if you devote to Clarisse as you render engine, something that I doubt ANY big studio is going to even consider. For a environment or matte painting job it might be great, but I donīt see it as a true substitute of Vue as itīs not really an environment creator the way Vue or Terragen are...

...so..not too sure about Clarisse having a good market. That initial price sounds like a marketing mistake IMHO.

dsol
12-23-2012, 06:26 PM
If it had been $499 I would jump right in (after trying a demo of course). Right now, it's impossibly expensive - and the PLE version is so limited as to prevent me considering using it (beyond initial evaluation)

fablefox
12-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Many people speaking about Clarisse selling many licenses to high-end studios...well....weīll see thatīs what I say. All the workflow I see on those videos is clearly oriented to individual and /or generalists, pretty far from the way big pipelines work. Such use of instancing itīs only useful if you devote to Clarisse as you render engine, something that I doubt ANY big studio is going to even consider. For a environment or matte painting job it might be great, but I donīt see it as a true substitute of Vue as itīs not really an environment creator the way Vue or Terragen are...

...so..not too sure about Clarisse having a good market. That initial price sounds like a marketing mistake IMHO.

I'm not quite sure about that, since they do went along studio only-beta for quite a while to get input from studios. right from siggraph until now. They mentioned that to keep input down and industry focused, they will try to full fill what studios needed (while bug fixing it) before providing it to the masses. They didn't built the software inside ivory tower, that for sure. And i'm sure they also consult with the studios the best price (win win situation among them?) for the software.

geo_n
12-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Just tried it and opened some content scenes. Comparable to vpr speed except this handles billions of polygons. How much are instanced not sure but its not as fast as I thought. Probably its gpu accelerated so it could be faster with highend gpu.
Supports alembic for I/O but I don't see this replacing vray pipeline that's generally more common. Its an external renderer and like any external renderer its just time consuming to work with them hence people want native solutions like what's being done for octane renderer,etc to plug directly to the host app.
For this price no way, I could buy a more versatile app that does more then just add vray for a more integrated render pipeline. No exporting importing stuff to deal with.
For price lw, modo is still bang for the buck though.

OFF
12-23-2012, 11:17 PM
+1

tyrot
12-24-2012, 03:41 AM
netvudu +1

sukardi
12-24-2012, 07:02 AM
The render engine looks very impressive and the real time 3d compositing is a very interesting concept but the software is nowhere near ready yet.

It will need to have a very robust importer of other formats and an easily configured distributed final render to make it usable. Even the nodes based compositing is not ready yet.

I think I'll wait ...

Pavlov
12-24-2012, 07:12 PM
i get a GL visualization error and i see nothing in preview window, straight out of install.
Anyone ?

thanks,
Paolo

sukardi
12-24-2012, 10:23 PM
I don't know about GL visualization error but you need to click on the image on lower middle screen to see the render in the preview window...

Ryste3d
12-25-2012, 06:38 AM
Clarisse has a modern fully multi-threaded architecture and massively uses all the available system cores. The more cores your CPU(s) have the faster it gets. Clarisse doesn't rely on GPUs (even for the 3D View), and thus doesn't require a high-end graphics card.

skype6
12-25-2012, 07:48 AM
awesome...I waited this for long time! Thanks for the information

zarti
12-25-2012, 10:26 AM
For this price no way, ..

absolutely .

jwiede
12-27-2012, 12:07 AM
Clarisse has a modern fully multi-threaded architecture and massively uses all the available system cores. The more cores your CPU(s) have the faster it gets. Clarisse doesn't rely on GPUs (even for the 3D View), and thus doesn't require a high-end graphics card.

That someone reported an OpenGL error w.r.t. preview window appears to contradict the idea that there is no GPU involvement in 3D views, etc. It might not require high-end GPU-level OGL capabilities and extensions, but that its using OGL affirms there's at least some level of hardware-accelerated 2D/3D pathways in use.

Pavlov
12-27-2012, 08:28 AM
this is what it get:

i've a Geforce GTS250. no preview.

Paolo

dsol
12-27-2012, 08:53 AM
It might use openGL for the GUI - some apps do! Or maybe for overlays (wireframes)

BigHache
12-27-2012, 11:52 AM
The product is an unknown and the price point competes with SoftImage and nearly with Maya and Max. I know pricing is a hard game to play but the market is pretty convinced what they want already. They come out of the pen to an uphill battle. I also understand why the demo is limited but I feel like I'm punished before I even download it. I'm not even interested now.

Darth Mole
01-30-2013, 02:48 PM
Just downloaded the OS X version, which is a bit buggy to say the least. However it does come with an awful lot of nice .LWOs in the content folder...

chikega
12-24-2013, 06:17 PM
The price will drop; it has to. Once every studio that wants it has it, they have nowhere else to go but to the lower-budget end of the market. It won't ever be 'cheap', but I'm hoping for an affordable but useable PLE version, like Realflow does. That's a smart move I think.

And you are correct Darth Mole. The starting price for the solo freelancer is now $999. I've downloaded the PLE ... it's science fiction the amount of polys this app can handle. And it works so well with Lightwave - both LWO and LWS are supported. :)

hrgiger
12-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Wow, pretty great that they support not only .lwo but also .lws.

jasonwestmas
12-24-2013, 09:12 PM
oooooo, a new Layout environment. Should be neat!