PDA

View Full Version : About LW Keyboard shortcuts...

Taro Yoshimoto
12-21-2012, 05:21 PM
I would like to start using shortcuts a bit more. I use the basic stuff but a lot of shortcuts doesn't seam to work for me.

For exemple, Invert is ". But when I do " on my keyboard, all the polys disappear. Not working. I use e constantly when modeling but what about +E for extrude? what does that mean? What are the + and ^??

My japanese keyboard is not helping of course.

thanks

Dot3
12-21-2012, 05:50 PM
The + is the Shift key and the ^ is the Ctrl Key hope that helps

speismonqui
12-21-2012, 11:30 PM
I have to switch my keyboard between spanish and english sometimes.

Maybe this can help
http://gate2home.com/Japanese-Keyboard

arsad
12-22-2012, 03:54 AM
The best solution is to use an american keyboard.
But I know that it will be quite difficult to use this keyboard in any software other than lightwave on an japanese computer.
Luckily for me the Us keyboard is quite close to the German one so I had not much of a problem to switch.

good luck finding a solution (apart remapping all the shortcuts that are impossible or hard to use on a non US keyboard)
as shortcuts really speed up the workflow!

erikals
12-22-2012, 04:17 AM
Stickers! :]

arsad
12-22-2012, 05:01 AM
simply putting stickers won't work as the keyboard layout isn't the same! You would have to change the keyboard layout in windows to US as well.

gerry_g
12-22-2012, 05:47 AM
remap your keys in the key editor config panel(ALT F9 or if you prefer EDIT<EDIT KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS from the side menu) and remap them to ones that do work for your, then save out a config file and name and date it so that when you next upgrade you can re import it, though recent updates have altered standard shortcuts so this may not work for every update.

jwiede
12-22-2012, 06:46 AM
I don't think editing the key shortcuts by themselves will necessarily work if they use a Japanese IME & layout. I thought the Japanese version of LW came with specially-designed keyboard assignments, etc. ready to go to solve the issue, though. Is the OP trying to use an English version of LW on a computer set up with a Japanese localization? I seem to recall that will cause all sorts of issues, which is basically why the separate Japanese-localized pkg of LW exists.

dwburman
12-22-2012, 05:29 PM
The + is the Shift key and the ^ is the Ctrl Key hope that helps

and * is the Alt key (Option key on the Mac)

Ryan Roye
12-22-2012, 09:15 PM
I don't know about compatibility with your specific keyboard, but you could try using AutoHotkey (http://www.autohotkey.com/) to create a script that alters your keyboard based on which program is open. If you have basic scripting knowledge, you can use it to do a whole bunch of other cool stuff too (like using mouse wheel up/dn to switch between modes in modeler).

Example script:

#IfWinActive ahk_class WMgrBasic (Makes script only work if Lightwave window is open)
WheelUp:: (when mousewheelUp is activated... do the action below)
Send {space}{/} (Commands modeler to change mode and clear selection)
return (idle state)

erikals
12-22-2012, 10:01 PM
AutoHotkey, i need to get into that one! :]

Ryan Roye
12-23-2012, 04:52 AM
AutoHotkey, i need to get into that one! :]

Autohotkey is every program's best friend. No joke! :)

Another usage is to hotkey a function that allows you to press a single button to navigate to a specific folder when you do things such as "Open scene", "load object", and other stuff that brings up the windows file picker dialogue. I always got sick of the fact that no matter which program I use (Lightwave included), I always had to navigate through file trees. I don't waste my time doing that anymore. When I hit "add object", it not only presses the key, but takes me straight to my "props" folder (the most likely place I'd navigate to). Any program that uses a normal windows interface can be manipulated at function handler level, so we're not just talking screen/keyboard macro functions here. Not all autohotkey scripts involve actually pressing keys, you can also create programs that just do things when a script is launched.

Taro Yoshimoto
12-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all the advices! I use windows in english mode, not japanese. However the keyboard is japanese, thus what's on the keys dont correspond to what it's doing!

"The + is the Shift key and the ^ is the Ctrl Key hope that helps"

This will help for sure. What about *?

Autohotkey look amazing. I'll look into it!

big thanks for all the help! very appreciated.

Autokey