PDA

View Full Version : Updates

Stephen0523
12-21-2012, 05:17 AM
I hope Newtek adds a "Check For Update" right in the App!

nickdigital
12-21-2012, 05:59 AM
Do find yourself out of the loop on what version of LightWave is out?

When they do an update its announced. I don't foresee them doing a lot of minor updates frequently requiring a user to constantly keep installing something. The version number is displayed in the windows ui so it's easy to see what version you're using.

Just saying that this feature might be overkill considering how spaced out updates get released so this would probably be very low priority for the dev team.

jwiede
12-22-2012, 07:02 AM
Disagree strongly. Look at the 11.0 -> 11.0.3 progression, for example. It was quite easy to miss when 11.0.2 came out unless you check the forum daily (I did precisely because I'd not checked the forum for a couple weeks). You're basing visibility on notice given in forums, but remember many users don't read the forum regularly (if at all).

Besides, there are a bunch of other reasons to offer automatic update checking and download, perhaps most importantly because it's something offered by most modern, decently-sized software packages -- even ZBrush has it now, and their updates aren't that much more frequent than LW's (well, getting more so, but LW should be getting more frequent as well according to the goals communicated by Rob, Chuck, etc.) It's one of those software features customers "just expect" at this point, and not offering it makes LW come across as old / outdated in comparison. LW's already got enough problems in that area, anything that can easily offset it is worth doing, IMO.

nickdigital
12-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Fair enough. I actually don't disagree with your points. It's true that if you're a forum junkie its a lot easier to stay in the loop. I believe updates are notified via emails too so anyone not on the forum hopefully gets word that way.

Pavlov
12-26-2012, 05:02 AM
+ 1, would be a nice add, and more important, a "smells like pro" one :)

Paolo

wesleycorgi
12-27-2012, 06:42 AM
I think an informational update feature would be good. I do monitor the forums obsessively; however, I still miss some info. And sometimes, info is communicated by Facebook, which I don't follow that often. Thankfully, someone on these forums will eventually link.

Also, I find it odd that some very important info is only communicated via forum post and not on the website. As an example, the official end of the 9.61 beta was buried in a post for awhile. I guess I am OT, but a version history on the Web site would be helpful as well.