PDA

View Full Version : New Unit between the 40 and 455

Yankee143
12-21-2012, 05:01 AM
Wish there was a modified unit between the 40 and 455. around $10,000

joedemax
12-24-2012, 05:18 AM
What would you like to see in such a system?

vanderwielen
12-30-2012, 02:58 PM
What would you like to see in such a system?

IMHO, Newtek should create a model 45, with HDMI. This would allow nice integration possibilities with BMD Atem's...but then again, perhaps that's why the 40 did not have them in the beginning...

csandy
01-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Doubt you'll ever see a TriCaster with HDMI inputs. God awful HDMI. Better would be an interim model with SDI - Camcorders with SDI are coming down in price, and imagine how much you'll save over component (x3 BNC) cable runs! Even converting HDMI cameras, you'd be out ahead.

kricher
02-05-2013, 05:33 AM
The only reasons I have nor purchased a TC40 is the lack of SDI and the lack of tally light interface. Only having one DDR is also a limitation when you want to run Timewarp and play clips during a sporting event. Maybe something is in the works for NAB?

kanep
02-05-2013, 07:43 AM
Sounds like you are describing a TriCaster 455.

csandy
02-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Kane, I'm guessing kricher is looking for something towards the lower end of the price scale and perhaps as light and portable as the 40. Essentially an HD TriCaster BROADCAST.

Marty01
02-05-2013, 11:21 AM
One improvement about the 40 model I would like to see is XLR audio. And as mentioned above, SDI inputs. These 2 features would be great on a model between the 40 and 455.

csandy
02-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Hey Marty, so essentially what you'd like is an HD TriCaster BROADCAST at some price between the 40 and the 455, right?

SBowie
02-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Suggestions and comments are always interesting, and few things are impossible. It's a pretty easy thing, though, to build feature requirements up incrementally until we're basically talking about a mildly modified 455 at a substantially reduced price. :)

(It's interesting to grapple with threshold variable details related to the question '455-minus' or '40-plus'?)

csandy
02-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Don't sell yourselves short! I'm sure it would take a good deal of engineering to fit the additional features into the Sugo form factor. But you're the expert, if it would take a mild modification, then hopefully that would be reflected in possibility and price!

SBowie
02-05-2013, 12:16 PM
But you're the expert, if it would take a mild modification, then hopefully that would be reflected in possibility and price!So you'd be cool with a mildly modified 455 price then? Say $19,994? ;)

csandy
02-05-2013, 12:18 PM
LOL. No.

Having owned every form factor of the TriCaster, there is something to be said about the Sugo units. Happy to see it back with the 40.

kricher
02-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Colin,
You would be correct. My Tricaster Studio has more than paid for itself over the last three years but my price point just can't go any higher. Here's a few things about the 455 I DON'T need that might help save some $$$. Keep in mind I mainly use my Tricaster for live sports productions (webcast and local cable channels) and the occasional parade/concert that goes to post production before airing. For those type of productions I don't need Livesets, Iso-corder and Timecode. I do need basic slo-motion, Livetext integration, tally lights, and connectivity that is friendly to cable runs of several hundred feet without using adapters. The abililty to use a basic stinger would be nice as well.

On a side note, I know that the Liveset technology is powerful and very desirable to a certain crowd, however, I wonder how many TC owners actually use it as a regular part of what they do.

SBowie
02-05-2013, 02:59 PM
You make some interesting points. Re: your LiveSet question, I suspect there are distinct types of users who go either way on that. It might be worth mentioning that there's a lot more to LiveSet effects than just 'virtual sets', and perhaps more would find it useful if they considered it for more than 'staging' purposes.

kricher
02-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Yes I agree. I use Liveset right now on my TC Studio for a timeclock cutout, however, on the new models with an upstream keyer, it looks like it can do PIP which is all I need. I know I'm just one user here but perhaps there are more that look at the TC line as basic switching devices instead of all-in-one solutions.

SBowie
02-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Almost all of our users are 'just one user' ... don't be shy. :)

kricher
02-06-2013, 05:58 AM
Point taken....

ZachSchuster
02-11-2013, 01:40 PM
I use the Virtual Inputs extensively on the 855 not for virtual sets, but mix-effects like PIP, side by side of coaches, etc... We did do an NFL-style zoom out of a virtual monitor for rollouts to commercials. I'd agree that the virtual sets may not be for everyone (for staging purposes), but the virtual inputs themselves can be utilized for much more than artificial sets.

That being said, I'd also agree that all of the features that come with virtual sets may not be necessary in every TC model (zooming, reflections, etc...). I imagine that the cost to take out such features is probably not worth it, but maybe a basic mix-effects only system? Might be worth exploring anyway.

3xScreen
02-12-2013, 03:24 AM
There is zero need for anyone to wait for Newtek to come up with a compelling low-end SDI model - there are many great options in the market today.

Before the 40 came out, we added BMD ATEM TV Studios to our Tricaster switchers for small events. An initial limitation they had was that you had to separately manage AES/EBU audio - but Blackmagic being the lovely people that they are, added an audio mixer with embedded SDI audio support in a software release with no fanfare and no cost to users.

Along with a ATEM TV Studio, add a BMD Smart Videohub, a BMD Audio to SDI Miniconverter, a dbx Compressor Gate, an Atomos Samurai and a Samson Powerbrite all in a lightweight case and you have a useful small and cost-effective switching solution.

For a single box low-end solution, despite being a fully paid-up member of the Tricaster community, we would go with one of these over a 40: http://store.livestream.com/products/livestream-studio-hd500 - 4 x SDI in, 1 x SDI out.

For a bit more money the Webcast 3U also looks interesting: http://www.streamstar.com/pricelist11_2012/