PDA

View Full Version : "Sel Switch" -- did behaviour change in 11.0.3?

jeric_synergy
12-21-2012, 12:55 AM
I used to use SEL SWITCH to select Edges and then cycle thru to the points that made up the selected Edges.

That workflow doesn't seem to work now.

Am I just misremembering how this feature worked, or did it change, or am I confusing it with a different Selection feature?

Thanks.

Hail
12-21-2012, 04:14 AM
Stange sel switch doesnt work through all modes.
However, convert selection seems to do what you are asking for. :)

jeric_synergy
12-21-2012, 11:52 AM
There's no "Convert Selection" in the Menu Editor.

However, I did figure out what was going on. (I've mapped ALT+G to "Cycle Selection".)

If I select POLYS first, I can blithely CYCLE SELECTION and get valid selections in every mode.
BUT, If I chose POINTS, I can only successfully cycle IF and ONLY if the Point selection creates valid entities in each mode.

If my Points don't equate to EDGES, nothing is selected, and when I cycle thru back to Points again they have been deselected.
If my Edges don't equate to POLYS, nothing is selected in Poly mode, and when I get back to Edges they have been deselected.

Polys always equate to valid Edges and Points, so no troubles there.

So, CYCLE SELECTION will not work in every case, particularly converting Edges to Points. Instead I need a good hotkey for "Select Points" which works from both Edges and Polys.

Maybe I'll just use ALT+G: converting to points is pretty much all I use this function for.

dwburman
12-21-2012, 01:15 PM
In the Default menu layout, the convert selection tools are in

(near the top of left menu bar) Select > Convert To... > Point Selection (also Edge Selection, and Poly Selection)

jeric_synergy
12-21-2012, 01:29 PM
On my system Search on "Convert" in the Menu Editor only gets "Convert Polygons to Triangles".

Note that's Search, not 'Find'.