PDA

View Full Version : Quick Questions

digitalimagery
12-20-2012, 03:20 PM
I bought a bus model and have gone back and forth between the modeler and layout making various adjustments. I labeled the glass and saved the model but in layout when I open the surface editor I'm not seeing my glass. What is keeping the label from staying on the geometry?

Secondly I noticed when opening the Current Item window I'm seeing what looks like 4 paths to the model in this window (two at the top and two at the bottom). Does this mean I have duplicate geometry? Image of dialog attached.

Thanks
DI

nickdigital
12-20-2012, 03:29 PM
If you're using the Hub are you sure they're communicating back and forth? What happens if you load your revised object into a fresh Layout? Do you see your revised surface there?

digitalimagery
12-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Not sure let me try. As luck would have it. Layout crashed and when re opening the file name came through.

Something that's frustrating is I can go down the list in the scene editor and highlight the object I want to adjust (confirmed by the geometry lighting up) but when I open the surface editor that object isn't selected. This is a purchased model so the names in the surface editor are not the same as in the Scene editor. There must be away to display the names consistently in all windows or at least a way of determining which object in the surface editor is the one I want to edit.

jeric_synergy
12-21-2012, 12:28 AM
(note: SE=surface editor, not Scene Editor)

Something that's frustrating is I can go down the list in the scene editor and highlight the object I want to adjust (confirmed by the geometry lighting up) but when I open the surface editor that object isn't selected.
Yeahhhhh, that's TMK not a feature we have. (Interesting idea though.) The SE is just off on its own. And, while that may seem like a good workflow now, I guarantee you at some point you'd be cursing if it DID work that way.

Anytime you changed objects, the SE would jump around to, I'm guessing (since this doesn't exist TMK) the first surface in a given object. I guess it could be "the last surface I addressed using this object"-- it's software, it could be anything. But someone would need to make that call.

If you want to select a given unknown Surface with the mouse, you can SHIFT+CLICK in a VPR enabled vuport. Since Surfaces are subsets of their Object (almost always), this will automatically be below the Object in the SE surface list. It will NOT (neccessarily, it might) select the Object in the Scene Editor.

This is a purchased model so the names in the surface editor are not the same as in the Scene editor. There must be away to display the names consistently in all windows or at least a way of determining which object in the surface editor is the one I want to edit.

see above. It's pretty rare for me that the Surfaces in an object match the Object's name-- usually they are a PART of the object. YMMV, but there can be many Surfaces in an Object.

It IS pretty nice in, say, Blender or C4D that all the attributes of an object, including it's 'Surface' (or whatev their nomenclature for it is) is neatly there under their respective object managers, but that's not LW. Somewhere deep in the guts of LW it may be organized like that, but it is not revealed to the user in that format. It's a much older code base, and approaches the tasks differently. However, you can request such an organizational reveal using the fogbugz request line.

digitalimagery
12-21-2012, 06:55 AM
Wow, thanks for the detailed response. Having the ability to select in a VPR window will be sufficient. There are just a lot of parts (as you can imagine) in this model. Given the objects are pretty accurately labeled in the scene editor I'd have thought clicking one would give the corresponding object (whatever it's called in the surface editor) would be selected as well. But as you say one object can have multiple surfaces I guess that couldn't work.

Thank you
Randy

jeric_synergy
12-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Well, it could work "for certain values of 'work' ". The devs COULD decide to "sync all open panels", but they'd have to decide:

if it would be a good idea,
the details of the implementation, i.e. first surface? last surface used?
if it was worth their time.

For instance, if only 1% of users would actually use a given feature, should the devs allocate their time to implementing it?

OTOH, Adobe includes all sorts of preferences for users, Photoshop being a good example, that let users decide their own workflow for bits of the application.
(OTThirdH, I have NEVER used PShop's menu/hotkey editors. But I alter LW's hotkeys and menus all the time. :yoda: )

:: shrug :: it's SOFTware, it's relatively easy to change, but there's plenty of other issues to deal with first.