PDA

View Full Version : Is Classic Camera broken or just outdated?

Simon-S
12-20-2012, 08:04 AM
A couple of times recently I've experienced problems whilst using the classic camera - with it unable to render instances and also I've just found out it has problems rendering textures that use the animUVcycler (it doesnt render the cycle, just the first frame repeatedly).

I know I can use the perpsective cam but was just wondering if the classic cam is now outdated?

What does the classic cam offer that the others don't and why keep it in the build if its bug-y?

erikals
12-20-2012, 08:21 AM
What does the classic cam offer that the others don't and why keep it in the build if its bug-y?

backward-compability. at times it's the only way to get certain old shaders to render correctly.

i think they are moving away from the classic camera. guess it's in the name too... "classic"

Simon-S
12-20-2012, 09:00 AM
guess it's in the name too... "classic"

I guess I must be a little outdated too, I've just always used classic camera for most things. Time to let go I think.

erikals
12-20-2012, 09:15 AM
when rendering polys, i've found the perspective camera to be quite a lot faster.
best thing is to test both, see which is the faster one...

classic can be faster when rendering Hypervoxels...

Simon-S
12-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Ah, nice to know. Thanks.

Greenlaw
12-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Oh, yes, give up on Classic Camera already! :)

In recent years, the only time I can think of when I needed to use Classic Camera was for Sasquatch compatibility (Sas hair passes have issues with Perspective Camera,) and that was actually a very long time ago. Perspective Camera is significantly faster and much more compatible with all the goodies Lightwave has to offer.

G.

LaughingJack
12-25-2012, 11:19 PM
when rendering polys, i've found the perspective camera to be quite a lot faster.
best thing is to test both, see which is the faster one...

classic can be faster when rendering Hypervoxels...

HV's render as grey blobs on my box if i use "classic" cam. :-(

erikals
12-26-2012, 02:38 PM
hm, haven't encountered that before...

you should post a FogBugz with content if so... (see my signature...)

DonJMyers
12-27-2012, 10:42 AM
The classic camera can actually be faster for simpler scenes like flying logos. On those the perspective cam calculates more and can be slower due to needless complexity.

Ryan Roye
12-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Classic camera is still useful for me as the content I work with doesn't consist of dense polys. There have only been very few occasions where perspective camera was faster than classic camera on my end. It can strongly depend on what effects a person is using I suppose... I avoid animated radiosity, caustics,DoF, etc.

Also, the "raytracing" operation that the perspective camera performs can sometimes be slower than rendering what isn't being shown on camera (classic)

shrox
12-27-2012, 02:16 PM
There are occasional odd artifacts with perspective camera, and it handles HVs differently than classic camera in some scenes I have made.

jasonwestmas
12-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Main reason I would use classic camera is for the worley plugins which are optimized to run really fast in general at the cost of some quality in the shading. Whatever floats your boat.

I would probably be more into sasquatch if i wasn't forced to use spotlights. The hard shadows on raytraced spotlights are uuuuugly and shadow maps look horrid on character faces. There is the method of creating a shadow wig for raytracing area shadows but that's more to worry about then and adding spotlights to every area light gets messy to say the least.