PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave interior renders by Mitja

erikals
12-19-2012, 12:47 PM
impressive >

https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/article/architectural-trieste/?utm_source=december_newsletter_2012&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

(also see > http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?127515-New-portfolio)

Mitja
12-21-2012, 02:31 AM
Didn't see this, thanks!
And thanks to you, and the entire community too, for helping so much and sharing your knowledge!
Your video tuts are amazing!
Mitja

Hail
12-21-2012, 05:15 AM
Awesome!
May I ask how much PS work went into those renders?

prometheus
12-21-2012, 05:51 AM
Stunning!
Enough said.

Michael

Waves of light
12-21-2012, 06:24 AM
Top notch archviz renders. The chair is outstanding. Well done on the newsletter slot.

medzo
12-21-2012, 07:30 AM
really great renders!!! is it kray or lightwave?

Marcia
12-21-2012, 08:38 AM
Click the first link... He says he uses the free Sunsky plugin with Gi and the standard (radiosity) LW renderer. We need more advanced lighting tuts... I've been trying to achieve that look without much success.

And yeah, amazing work!

Afalk
12-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Utterly gorgeous work! The highlights in the newsletter are well deserved!

Mitja
12-24-2012, 03:46 AM
Thanks all, really. I don't know if this power artist award means something, but it sure means to me.
That's something I could only dream about some years ago. Now I have just to hope to find the job of my dreams! :)
Now coming to your questions: yes it's "only" LW, no kray or other renderers.
That images involve quite a lot of post production, but all process takes 5 minutes. So it's quite relative I guess.
As I always say, no render can give you perfect renders just out of the box, neather vray, nor kray, nor arnold etc. PS is just part of a pipeline, as LW is.

lwanmtr
12-24-2012, 04:16 AM
Amazing....would definately love to know more about your scenes and gi settings...and lights...hehe

Hail
12-24-2012, 05:16 AM
Amazing....would definately love to know more about your scenes and gi settings...and lights...hehe

+1

Mitja
12-28-2012, 05:55 AM
Well, settings are really basic. Sunsky, area lights where needed, inverse intensity falloff and GI, that's all.
What makes the difference is surfacing, and I have to get better at this. I tend to use as simple setups as possible.

erikals
12-28-2012, 11:15 AM
hm, inverse intensity falloff... need to check that one out a bit more...

lwanmtr
12-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Yeah, Inverse falloff is something I never quite got...lol.

Mitja
12-29-2012, 04:05 AM
I wanted to say I prefer the inverse distance over the inverse distance^2, this last one is very noisy.
Even if the correct light model would be ^2... Hope it's better now ;)

djwaterman
12-29-2012, 04:56 AM
Yeah, Inverse falloff is something I never quite got...lol.

Well light is meant to have fall off the further away it is from the source, and the inverse distance^2 is meant to be the most correct one for photorealism. In the end what looks best is all that counts.

Mitja
12-29-2012, 06:36 AM
Well light is meant to have fall off the further away it is from the source, and the inverse distance^2 is meant to be the most correct one for photorealism. In the end what looks best is all that counts.

I think they were a bit sarcastic about my falloff statement... My fault, badly written.
Anyways, I'm sure that everything it's fine if it looks natural and believable. So I don't like to stick to rules and "phisically correct" stuff. CG it's all about cheating, faking and approximation. Isn't it?

stargatesg1
12-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Can you talk a bit more about your texturing and what you do? You have a great eye and seem to always capture the right texture and mood. Are you taking photos? or are they UV mapped in Photshop and altered?
CJ

lwanmtr
12-29-2012, 02:11 PM
I think they were a bit sarcastic about my falloff statement... My fault, badly written.
Anyways, I'm sure that everything it's fine if it looks natural and believable. So I don't like to stick to rules and "phisically correct" stuff. CG it's all about cheating, faking and approximation. Isn't it?

Actually, I wasnt being sarcastic....lol. I never really used the Inverse Distance falloff. Yaay... I learned something...haha. I should read more, huh?

Thanks

erikals
12-29-2012, 07:02 PM
i have a long way to go when it comes to LW interior setups...
for interiors in LW any advice i can get a hold of is a good advice... :]

toby
12-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Amazing stuff Mitja!

Lewis
12-30-2012, 05:46 AM
Excellent stuff there. Well done and well deserved newsletter spot.

BTW is carpet made wit FiberFX or Instancing ?

Mitja
12-31-2012, 03:47 AM
Can you talk a bit more about your texturing and what you do? You have a great eye and seem to always capture the right texture and mood. Are you taking photos? or are they UV mapped in Photshop and altered?
CJ
I search as much reference photos as I can find, just on google when I can't have the photos of the actual location. Usually generic reference photos are just fine.
Then I make seamless textures in photoshop. In arch viz there're only few objects that need UV's, sofas, couches and similar. Chairs, for sxample, could be divided in horizontal and vertical wood.
I find it easier since you don't have to adjust the UV map every time you change a texture map. But of course in some cases you need the UV's, so atlas is the way to go.

Carpets are instanced yes. I already forgot about FFX! Such nightmares with grass we had...
Now, the next step is microply displacement and some better instances placement, and we're ready to go!
Thanks all again!

erikals
12-31-2012, 07:49 AM
not sure i would use FiberFX for grass, it can tend to look flat.

but if you wanna go FiberFX >
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?108469-FFX-Well-Trimed-Grass&p=1015639#post1015639

i would use instancing, as it renders better >
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?101604-Grass-with-HDI-explanation-files
(HDi example, but still goes)

Mitja
01-07-2013, 12:59 AM
not sure i would use FiberFX for grass, it can tend to look flat.

but if you wanna go FiberFX >
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?108469-FFX-Well-Trimed-Grass&p=1015639#post1015639

i would use instancing, as it renders better >
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?101604-Grass-with-HDI-explanation-files
(HDi example, but still goes)
Why I can't see the first link? hmmmm....

Hail
01-07-2013, 03:06 AM
Indeed these stuff are jaw dropping.
But guys is it not about time we start having some lw arch vis tuts?
Seriously, lw badly lacks training resources in this field:(