PDA

View Full Version : LiveText and DataLink - Network XML data not showing up in LiveText

doc debolt
12-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Ok,

I am trying to figure out what is causing the issue with the dynamic data not showing up in livetext from the datalink network xml that i am pulling - i am able to pull other network XML, but some just do not show up, what causes and remedies this?

any help would be appreciated.....

Thanx!

Doc

- - - Updated - - -

and by data not showing up and some showing up, i mean different xml datasources, not parts of the same xml data.....

some xml URLs work and some don't

sergimari
01-15-2013, 08:56 AM
I think Datalink (or directly Livetext) doesn't interpret any kind of XML but just specifically formatted ones.
It does interpret correctly RSS for instance, but not any kind of XML as far as I know.

Anyone from NewTek could confirm the permitted xml structure? We keep doing trial and error otherwise.

SBowie
01-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Actually, I'm not aware of anywhere that it is stated that LiveText offers any xml support. (?)

Lee-AVP
01-15-2013, 10:41 AM
I wonder if they're looking at the SQL definition files? That's the only piece I can think of where XML and Livetext go together.

SBowie
01-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Maybe. Not quite the same thing though. BTW, I'm not saying support would be a bad thing, just that I'm not sure it's ever been mentioned as a supported input method.

doc debolt
01-30-2013, 01:30 PM
@Steve, it states in the manual that RSS feeds are supported..... RSS is an xml formatted document..... i am having the same issue with RSS feeds.....

Is there a document/writeup, tech bulletin, sdk or something that explains the way that datalink ingests/doesn't ingest network sources? If i know what the exact format is that it is looking for, i can re-format the network source to conform to those, but without having that, it is basically throwing things at a wall......

i have successfully pulled RSS/XML data into datalink/livetext and have tried to deduce for myself what makes one work and one not work, and have yet to figure it out, any help would be greatly appreciated...

Kris

SBowie
01-30-2013, 01:36 PM
Pretty much everything I know about it is in the manual, but I can pass the query along.

doc debolt
01-30-2013, 02:41 PM
Much Appreciated, pass along a howdy and hello to jerm and dr. cross if you pass by them =)

VideoEng QA
01-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Doc,

Currently, LiveText (DataLink) supports XML files in the Text Input folder as in the example file included with the install:

<Info>
<Type>Planet</Type>
<Name>Earth</Name>
<Location>Milky Way</Location>
<Dominant_LifeForm>Insects</Dominant_LifeForm>
</Info>

DataLink currently only supports a fairly simple and flat structure for XML files (or text files containing XML) as in above. DataLink does support RSS data feeds and should be able to read pretty much any feed as long as it follows the standards.

Could you give us an example RSS feed that does not work? I want to take a look at it and figure out why.

Thanks,
Jeremy Brosius

doc debolt
01-30-2013, 08:11 PM
want me to send via forums or other comm?