PDA

View Full Version : Saturate your cores during render

patrickkelly
12-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Greetings fellow Lightwavers, I am having an issue with Butterfly Net Render and was hoping someone might have some input.

Load a scene into Lightwave 11.0.3 (PC only at this time) press F10 and while it is rendering, launch the Windows 7 task manager, click on the Performance tab and check the "CPU Usage" indicator. I see all my cores at 100% saturation. So far so good.

Now launch Butterfly Net render ver 4.5.7 on my master PC (win 7 home premium) and render the same scene.
I have a mix of 32 and 64 bit render machines.
None of my render nodes will use more than 20 or 30% of the available core capacity, some nodes will use less than 10%.
All the nodes have more than enough RAM.
All nodes are set to high priority.
Does not matter what type of scene I load, all exhibit the same condition.
At this point, it's faster to render the scene directly from Lightwave than it is to use BNR.

I wonder if other render controller have this same issue.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Patrick

Hieron
12-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Butterfly NetRender works fine here, we do not see such behavior on any node (xp, win7, win8 all 64 bit)
My guess would be that you managed to turn of multithreading, which can be easily derived from the %'s

patrickkelly
12-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Butterfly NetRender works fine here, we do not see such behavior on any node (xp, win7, win8 all 64 bit)
My guess would be that you managed to turn of multithreading, which can be easily derived from the %'s

How would one go about turning off multithreading?

Hieron
12-19-2012, 03:18 PM
hmm not at the office now, so can't check easily. But there is a flag or switch of sorts I think..
Just like there is one in Layout..

Just a vague memory, I'll check tomorrow

From the faq:
Q: Is each Processor in a Dual system considered a Render Node?
A: Yes, but, you could configure the Client to only use 1 processor on a dual system

patrickkelly
12-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Hieron, you were correct. I looked around in my BNR group setting and my threads were set to 1. I adjusted the setting to the max and Bingo, all cores were fully saturated.

Additionally, I got an email from Paul, the author of BNR and here is what he had to say:

"Make sure you set the 'renderthreads' to '0' in the Options->Configure Platform - Lightwave
This should make each rendernode use all cores
(once you do this change - you will need to exit the Controller and start again)"

Once again this forum and the amazing people on it have provided a solution.

Thanks again,

Patrick