PDA

View Full Version : Multi-window rounded edges without errors or some direction.

ActionBob
12-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Hi Wavers. I have been away for a long time and have not modeled anything in years. I am getting back into it for a fun, low-pressure project.

I have a question about rounding select endges on an object. As I have not modeled anything in a long time, i am very rusty.

Ok, I have included a screenshot of a building base that I am building - just goofing off, but wanted to know the best way to go about giving the windows / arches a nice soft edge for better play of lighting on them.

I am using lightwave 11 and also recently bought LWCAD as this is more of an arch-vis project. I have played around with mass round with varying results. I am wondering if I am going to have to build the geometry separately for these windows and then past them back into the original wall position or is there an easier way to go about it and I am just not aware? this is actually the first time i have tried to build a structure with angled walls and not something organic - I am a bit vexed.. lol.

Here is the screenshot.

Thanks for any info.

-Adrian

Danner
12-19-2012, 02:32 AM
Select the inside polygons and try multyshift. Open the Numeric Pannel and play around with the settings it's a confusing but powerful tool.

ActionBob
12-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Not too many responses on this one, but I will just have to play around with it more and perhaps layout how to build the walls beforehand or get rid of sharp edges using other geometry on top. Adds to the complexity, but I think that weird shaped polys are an issue with lightwave when cutting into them and rounding. Dunno.

Thanks for the reply.

-Adrian

JoePoe
12-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Action,

Remember to MERGE POINTS after your Boolean. :thumbsup:
I used regular Rounder without a prob.

(Also, in Rounder, tick the "Activate OGL polygons" option or you will get a small smoothing issue on the front poly).

edit: Forgot to say Welcome Back!! :)

ActionBob
01-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks JoePoe. While the structure I am making is simple, this is the first time I have had to make something with an OBNOXIOUS amount of windows. Adding the beveled edge to catch the light has presented some issues I have not had to deal with before. In the past, I built a lot of car models and other flowing organic shapes - not simple things with clean rounded edges. I am finding that the default LW tools get the job done where LWcad (while useful and quick for some stuff) can introduce its own set of issues. Like the saying goes, "anything worthwhile takes time." I am finding that I just have to do a lot of clean up or fore-thought about how to building something. Getting along alright now. Thanks for the reply! Thanks for the "openGl checkbox" option in Rounder.

-Adrian