PDA

View Full Version : Youtube screwing up filter search, latest added?

prometheus
12-18-2012, 10:25 AM
was about to check videos of recently added stuff with Lightwave search, went to filter and now you can only choose latest day,week, or month..but even so if picking latest week, you
can not sort it by time added..this is something that could be filtered not long ago, they seem to have changed the ui a little and now the filter by upload date is gone?

Anyone who knows a trick to filter it properly?

Michael

Kaptive
12-18-2012, 11:25 AM
I can't answer your question, but I had to reply, as i'd noticed this myself and it really annoyed me! Why on Earth would they strip such a feature???

You tube seems to have been downgraded over and over again, seemingly with the intention of making the content created by users harder to find each time.
I've even begun to notice that the suggested videos to the right of the currently viewed video no longer purely relate to what is being watched. No... now we have things connected to anything I might have viewed at any time.

I think they are trying to squeeze out user created content so that they can push funded channels instead. Something rotten is going on one way or the other.

If I find a way to search for recently added vids, I'll be sure to let you know... but I don't hold much hope. (It is also really annoying because it stops you from keeping an eye on an unfolding current event and watching latest videos).

Damn you google!!!!

Kaptive
12-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Ok.. so this is all I've got after a bit of a search...

Basically, do the following...

1. Search for what it is you are looking for on youtube (the normal way, and then you get the results in "whatever" order)
2. Copy and paste the following onto the end of the current URL/address...

&search_sort=video_date_uploaded

3. press enter.

The videos should now be listed in upload time/date order.

A very annoying work around, but it is better than not having any option at all. It might be worth just bookmarking that exact search for whenever you wish to look it up.

Hope that helps!

Kris

p.s. The lightwave link (in recently added order) is as follows...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lightwave&oq=lightwave&gs_l=youtube.3..35i39l2j0l8.2704.2704.0.2975.1.1.0 .0.0.0.111.111.0j1.1.0...0.0...1ac.1.3uYI9q72cdc&search_sort=video_date_uploaded

Ryan Roye
12-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Damn you google!!!!

this x1000

prometheus
12-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks Kaptive..that helps a bit, I forwarded a feedback to youtube about this ..so maybe they fix it soon, otherwise IŽll go viral on the net about stupidity changes:devil:

Michael

stiff paper
12-18-2012, 01:15 PM
I suspect that they're trying to constrain the size of searches. Searching with a time limit only returns the number of results within the time limit. Searching for all results and then ordering them might require them filtering through a googolplex of results. If they then have a decillion people looking for cat videos all at the same time...

The solution would be to have a selectable option to make day and week be in uploaded order.

Although... I might be talking rubbish... and really they're just dummies...

Cryonic
12-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Well... they've done even worse than this... The look of my homepage is completely messed up. I can no longer browse through content and it no longer recommends videos based on what I've watched... Just channels... WTF!?!?!?

Kaptive
12-18-2012, 02:57 PM
The ironic thing, is that I bet there are a million videos complaining about the new design... but thanks to the new design, you'll never find them or see them (also part of the design thought process I'm sure!!!).

One thing worth noting if you don't know already...

Since the front page is now just a mess of comments, weird recommendations and occasionally a video you might be interested in, there is still a way to see only the uploads by your subscriptions...

1. Click on your user name (top right)
2. In the drop down, click "video manager"
3. Third tab along, click "subscriptions"

Here you will find (in historical order.. newest first) all the videos uploaded by your subscriptions, and only that. The only thing you need to be aware of, is that when you have clicked on a video here, it will vanish from the list. So if you want to save it, add it to favorites or something.

Another note, is that it is worth actually saving this link, and making it your main youtube link... and remember to subscribe to people you like to see stuff from. The front end of youtube is now pointless and should be avoided at all costs! Hope this helps a few people... it is a very hidden feature.

Ryan Roye
12-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Another note, is that it is worth actually saving this link, and making it your main youtube link... and remember to subscribe to people you like to see stuff from. The front end of youtube is now pointless and should be avoided at all costs! Hope this helps a few people... it is a very hidden feature.

This works, but you will have to re-shortcut your link because they have consistently changed the address with every single update they've done in the last year or two. I would not be surprised if YouTube removed the ability to look at your subscriptions in the near future. They've already removed channel customizations, playlist management (not like it is now), search functions, crippled their website layout... It pisses me off; I have no polite way to say it. As a producer I just can't keep up with their mindless updates.

At least I got Newgrounds for my content now, just need a decent video site for putting tutorials on and other off-topic stuff.

Cryonic
12-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Here's the really strange thing about Youtube. My laptop, which is running the same OS and Browser as my main desktop (WinXP SP3 with FF17) shows the old interface where I can actually click on browse and see lots of videos grouped by category as well as channel with recommended VIDEOS (not channels) for me to watch. WTF!?!?!?

stiff paper
12-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Here's the really strange thing...
Maybe they're deciding things based on how powerful the target computer is?

On my laptop (five year old Dell running XP32 and an old Firefox) the YouTube interface has been regularly changing to and fro on random visits for at least a couple of months, until it finally changed over and stayed that way along with (I'd assumed) everybody else's. About a month back I mentioned it to friends and none of them had seen any changes at all. I'm pretty sure I even saw strange interfaces that were different but not the same as the one they've changed over to.

Also, there was a reddit AMA thread a couple days ago with somebody that was involved with the new interface. None of the comments were nice. The AMAers didn't give many answers. I guess they thought everybody was going to say nice things and weren't very happy when it turned out everybody thought they sucked.

prometheus
01-10-2013, 06:02 PM
I think they have put a sorting filter in there now, donŽt think it was there before..but you have to filter search by upload date/ month first, then go to sort by upload date.

Michael

Kaptive
01-11-2013, 01:16 AM
You beat me to it!

But on mine... if I do a search, then click on filter, on the far right it gives me a "sort by" heading, and the 2nd option directly underneith it is "upload date". In fact, pic below for clarity...

Is yours different?