PDA

View Full Version : lightwave on a laptop???

mantis
11-03-2003, 09:13 AM
I've looked around and can't find any information (or anyone) who's running lightwave on a laptop. I'm considering putting lightwave on a new laptop(looking at Dell M60?) and am wondering what "laptop" graphics cards does lightwave support. Any? I'm not doing any intense 3d characters or anything, mostly just 3d elements for compositing in after effects. Any help?

fig
11-03-2003, 09:51 AM
any decent openGL-supported card (which any decent laptop should have these days) should be enough support for some playing in lightwave. you'll want more video memory on the card and a faster card depending on how much you want to do (and how quick you want to do it). looking at the dell laptops a lot of them seem to come with the mobility radeon 7500, its a bit older card but should be ok for your needs.

chris

CMP 2003
11-03-2003, 11:30 AM
most laptops with decent processors will handle lightwave well but when rendering the scene i have had problems with the laptop overheating, shutting off and killing my scene. Just something to consider.

stuart_tetley
11-04-2003, 12:10 AM
It's working fine for me on a somewhat older Dell machine (Dell Latitude C810 P3 1.13.) The M60 should do very well (I'd love one of those.)

As CMP 2003 observed, it works the system pretty hard, which on mine means the VERY noisy auxiliary fans are running flat out most of the time, but it's always been stable for me.

And I can boil water with the air coming out the back :)

gjjackson
11-04-2003, 05:44 AM
I use an IBM A31p laptop and all works great.

mrunion
11-04-2003, 07:43 AM
FWIW I use a Dell Inspiron 8100 sometimes. It has an nVidia GeForce 2 Go card. It performs exceptionally well, but does tend to run the fan constantly when rendering.

I used to use this as my primary machine until July 2003. I got a "graphics only" machine then and though I still do a little LW'ing on the laptop, it is primarily for programming/work stuff now.

CoryC
11-04-2003, 11:39 AM
I have an Alienware laptop and Lightwave runs great on it. I haven't had any problems with overheating and the benchmark numbers were equal my desktop of the same speed. The only thing I had to do was remap the numeric '0' key to home so I can swap views in modeler.

Neil_Campbell
11-04-2003, 03:23 PM
I use a Dell Precision M50 with a Quadro4 500 GoGL with 1GB RAM - rock solid with LW and Rhino.

sculptactive
11-05-2003, 12:56 AM
I also use a dell M50 with Quadro4 500 GoGL with 1GB RAM with LW and Rhino. It works great so the M60 should be even better.
If you get the Config with 2GB ram and the NVIDIA card you should be in heaven.

CoryC which card did you choose for your alienware laptop ATI or NVIDIA?

iluvatar
11-05-2003, 02:06 AM
LOL :P last day i can say this: I use lightwave on my PII 333 Laptop with 64 Megs RAM :D simple ATI Rage Pro 2x AGP 4 Mb video card... it's not even hardware openGL!! Lightwave works fine with the simple scenes... modeler starts slowing down with 50.000 polys :P my fujitsu laptop is never overheated, sometimes I let it render 40 hours straight, and it works perfect :D

grundgedanke
11-05-2003, 02:22 AM
i donīt have any desktop machine :-) i just use a notebook with p4 desktop proc and 2.4 ghz with an ati 9000 mobility radeon and a sceond screen connected. everything works more than fine. in the office i have an 2ghz desktop machine with a gforce mx 440...well, as you might think it is slower...and there is another big plus...you can take you lightwave everywhere you go :D

CoryC
11-05-2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by sculptactive
CoryC which card did you choose for your alienware laptop ATI or NVIDIA?

I got the Nvidia video card. No problems with LW or games like Medal of Honor and Max Payne 2 set to maximum quality.

jpbrooks
11-13-2003, 12:41 PM
I am using a Apple TI G4 Powerbook. I maxed out the memory to 1.2 G. It works really well. The only drawback I have found thus far is the screen can seem kind of small sometimes.
But, although I am an architect and spend a lot of time using various cad programs; I am pretty new to 3d work. So when I get into full production mode and am rendering a lot of animations---I think I will find it necessary to set up a rendering farm.