PDA

View Full Version : 3D Printing revolution, Nurbs,powernurbs for lightwave to enhance.

prometheus
12-17-2012, 04:30 AM
The 3d printing revolution seems to hit many homes, hobbyist or small companies.

What is necessary in Lightwave environment to get the best out of it when printing?

Lightwave object type is polygon, and as such it is very dependent on how much the object is freezed or how high the poly resolution is.
Wouldnīt we be better of getting true nurbs,(resolution independent), or at the very least...a powernurbs converter...
http://www.npowersoftware.com/

It is now available for Maya,rhino, and not long ago for Modo.

Common Newtek..do not miss out on this, what I believe to be a very huge market, start to work on tools aimed for product construction too, yes there are tools
better suited for that, but I do not see why it should be too difficult or to big gap between appliance here, the luxology team seems to have recognized this with
itīs coorporation with dassault systems (solidworks) and now getting a poly to nurbs converter (powernurbs)

Just my thoughts hoping to getting realized before I feel an urge to spend my money on other software than Lightwave updates, I have a strong feeling and notion that
3d printing will be very very common in most hands soon, and my own interest in it is equally strong.
I rather work in the Lightwave environment which I love, but missing true nurbs for more exact surfaces, more exact curves and blend surfaces by high tolerance values etc, or conversion tools,
That is something missing today within Lightwave modeling tools.

Michael

gerry_g
12-17-2012, 07:18 AM
thats an importer not an exporter which implies you are receiving or creating cad data in or from another package that you wish to import to LW and convert solely for the purpose of texturing animating or rendering, LW uses hypernurbs (subpatches – CC or Doo-Sabin) which can be exported with an stl. exporter plugin for 3D printing purposes if you track it down and install it, the accuracy and tolerance thing is rely only for CNC milling machines and industrial fabrication purposes. If LW implements a full nurbs + hypernubs implementation as per C4D or Maya, NewTek are most likely going to charge you for the privilege.

prometheus
12-17-2012, 07:32 AM
thats an importer not an exporter which implies you are receiving or creating cad data in or from another package that you wish to import to LW and convert solely for the purpose of texturing animating or rendering, LW uses hypernurbs (subpatches – CC or Doo-Sabin) which can be exported with an stl. exporter plugin for 3D printing purposes if you track it down and install it, the accuracy and tolerance thing is rely only for CNC milling machines and industrial fabrication purposes. If LW implements a full nurbs + hypernubs implementation as per C4D or Maya, NewTek are most likely going to charge you for the privilege.

No ..are you sure? this looks like both importer and exporter to cad tools..
http://www.luxology.com/store/Power_SubD-NURBS/

What I have missunderstood though, I thought you could get a previz and even edit a converted subdiv to nurbs model in modo, but appaerently it will just import and export?
The only thing that seems to work as I would want (inside of Lightwave that is)...that would probably be T-splines for rhino.

Donīt get the picture about what you are talking about the purpose of texturing and animating? that can be done with polytrans or Deep Exploration, donīt see wy that has to do with this?

Thanks.

Michael

BigHache
12-17-2012, 01:12 PM
If I could offer some interim tool ideas...

Without spending the effort on powernurbs just yet, what about something that will simply recognize edges that only share one polygon, ask for a tolerance for merging points, go through the mesh and merge points, and check to see if the process needs to be run again until no edges share one polygon?

Netfabb and Meshlab don't seem to catch all the errors for me. Plus I'd like to reduce the tools I need to get to Gcode for the printer, and I would like my models correct in LW. The manifold errors by the way are generated by booleans, and I have to boolean my meshes for my software. With Shapeways I could intersect geometry all day long. Not at home...

It seems like what you're aiming for is something that creates non-destructive models in LW. Great idea, but I'd be happy with tools that improve my workflow as it is in the shortest time span.