PDA

View Full Version : Bogus Green Light

RayLarson
11-03-2003, 08:45 AM
Has anyone else found that the green "ok" light lies? I was doing a simple 3 layer 30 sec segment and when I played it (after the green light came on) it stuttered like crazy. About a minute later it played fine.

I am finding I can do less with T3 than with T2 as far as layers and speed are concerned. I am using a Supermicro board with 1GB RAM Dual 1.8 Zenons and 6 - 63gb IDE IBM Drives. I can upgrade to 2.4 Zenons with this board but anything more than that requires a new motherboard and is cost prohibitive at this time. T2 was working very good for me...but I am finding the upgrade to T3 is slowing me down. I have tweaked my prefs and things are getting a little better but I was just wondering.

Dan Hong
11-03-2003, 09:46 AM
I've been getting the same. I've lowered my PCI bandwidth settings to almost half of what they were (tricking my machine to think it has really slow drives). The waiting is longer, but the playback is consistently good. VT3 seems to chew up a lot more resources than VT2 did (understandable). I've been getting some crazy things happening on the Athlon systems we have. Stuttering live video, hardware lockups. Looking forward to seeing a new patch.

MediaSig
11-03-2003, 12:24 PM
One thing I have noticed when this happens is the position of where I had my time marker when I hit play. If it was right before the stuttering bit, then usually it WILL stutter on playback.

BUT....

when I move the bar back to a an area maybe 5-10 seconds before the trouble spot, it plays fine.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with VT having more time preparing the files for output or what, but it seems to be consistent every time I try it.

...and this is of course when the green light is on.

Greg

Jim_C
11-03-2003, 12:37 PM
Yes, that green light has become as reliable as our Audio Meters.

ugh..

:(

jim

Tom Wood
11-03-2003, 12:48 PM
Hmmm...I'm having the reverse problem now and then; the green light -never- comes on, even with like a five second clip the only thing in the timeline. And of course, it's working -now- so I can't determine what is causing it.

TW

bradl
11-03-2003, 11:17 PM
My green light is a very optimistic fellow as well...

I believe Paul refered to it as "not all knowing"... instead of omniscient, "inscient green light", but bogus also has a nice ring to it...

tmon
11-04-2003, 02:43 PM
Dan,

Did lowering PCI Bandwidth settings help at all? Maybe I should try that.

Two video clips and two audio clips for a :10 second segment, and our VT[3] is taking waay long to background render for smooth playback.

Approximately 200+% longer than VT[2] on the same system?

ted
11-04-2003, 03:26 PM
I sort of found the same thing, but no wonder with everything added to VT3. A couple tricks that helped me were...

1. Make sure you don't have NVIDIA "Power Desk" on.
2. Left-click on the arrow in the top-right hand corner of the timeline and turn off icons not needed and time tracking bar if not needed. Those use up resources.

Good Luck!

technorev
11-04-2003, 10:31 PM
This by the way may call for some reflection. Please remember a post I started about having trouble with Jumpbacks. There was much discussion including bringing in the JBs to Aura as there was supposed to be a difference between the 720 x 480 vs 486. In that Toaster had to covert up and as a result of all that computing process causing Toaster to make the video stutter. Well, I think that problem may in fact be a symptom of this one. Maybe the T3 is really having problems with multilayers of video. I thnk this because even after bringing in the JBs through Aura and having Aura save them out as RTV files we still had the stuttering whenever we went beyond 2 layers. And for all of you familiar with my system - Its not the IDE drives either becuase we got SCSI drives with no observable improvement. The stuttering was exactly the same with the same amount of layers. Our only solution to the stuttering problem was to render the segments on the timeline.

Technorev

sywitt
11-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Strangely enough, sometimes when we have the 'unworkable' green light, if you select all of the clips in the project and 'create sub-project', the VT3 will re-render the background stuff and most often the problem project will play. Try it!

JReble
11-20-2003, 10:01 AM
Well I'm just glad I'm not alone with this one. There's definitely a learning disability with the green light currently. Here's hoping that it learns something in the new build. Hopefully they'll knock some sense into those audio meters as well.

mgrusin
11-20-2003, 12:20 PM
I had noticed the green light problem as well (playback of complex sections starts stuttering, but the light won't come on to prerender and cache those sections).

I solved the immediate problem with Force Render, but I've also been experimenting with lowering the CPU speed a bit in Preferences (I have a single 2.4, and lowered it to 1.8), and the green light seems to be behaving better (it caches more, but that's better than stuttering). But I haven't tested this thoroughly, I may just be doing less complex stuff at the moment.

-MG