PDA

View Full Version : TC40 and frame rates?

Lars Borg
12-15-2012, 10:23 AM
We have few days now where we have time to check upon our system...we do sports broadcast.

When checking the XML streaming profiles they are all set to 12 frames? (default from NewTek)

If we increase it to a higher levels ie. 24, 30 or even 60 what will happen?

Should not the frame rate set to be higher?

In all posts here.....everybody tells us not to touch anything...this is a device!

joedemax
12-15-2012, 10:31 AM
This is correct. I checked with NewTek and this is how it's supposed to be. The reasoning is that while doing everything else the TriCaster does streaming at 25 or 30fps wouldn't be possible. As usual you can try and test other settings, but remember it would be unsupported and you could drop frames (although it's extremely unlikely that the video outputs will drop frames).

Lars Borg
12-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Well to me it seams okay then to boost the system with a high end CPU..:) what are the other Tricaster models set to i.e the 450, 455, 850, 855 or the 8000?

We are of course looking for smoother videos/broadcasts!

PIZAZZ
12-15-2012, 10:52 AM
That doesn't sound correct Lars. Every other TriCaster does 25-30 fps. I can't believe the tc40 is supposed to be that low fps. Even with the lowly TCPro we did 30 fps. The 40 has much more powerful hardware.

Which profile are trying to use. ?

Lars Borg
12-15-2012, 10:57 AM
This is correct every streaming profile is by default set to 12 frames and we have not changed anything...right now we have opened up the box as well to check what kind of hardware is used.

We have been using the system for about two months now and in all other respects it is a great product...we even bought the Control Surface as well....but we are looking for smoother videos/broadcasts.

Could the default settings be set wrong?

We of course just recently upgraded the system with the latest update from NewTek...could there be something wrong with the default setting there?

joedemax
12-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Right now this is how it's suppose to be. You can ofcourse change the encoder presets with a text editor or alternatively use an external encoder. Hopefully Andrew will be able to offer some clarity on this.

Lars Borg
12-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Yes we will do some test right away..with different settings...we do use all four cameras...we use the four Virtuals as well and of course the DDR and overlays etc...etc.. i.e we are using the system to its full potential when broadcasting...and it is the "fastest game on earth" that we broadcast.

kanep
12-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Yes we will do some test right away..with different settings...we do use all four cameras...we use the four Virtuals as well and of course the DDR and overlays etc...etc.. i.e we are using the system to its full potential when broadcasting...and it is the "fastest game on earth" that we broadcast.

Are you sure you looking in the correct folder? The 24fps HD profiles are 12fps. But if I look at the NTSC 4x3 and 16x9 folder most of the profiles are 29.97. In the NTSC/HD folder the profiles are defaulting to 15fps.

Lars Borg
12-16-2012, 12:50 AM
Well being in Europe of course we use Pal and of cource havent even checked the NTSC folders.

Is NewTek fooling us?

When we bought the TC40 the price was higher than the US version (i.e the NTSC) because we where using PAL, this was something the reseller told us.

Is the hardware not geared to handle PAL as well?

Have we got the wrong version?

Lars Borg
12-16-2012, 02:38 AM
Have now checked more folders in the Flash/PAL area and found some with more frame rate..but they are of not full HD....we are now creating our own xml files and will do a lot of testing.

Of course it would have been nice to have this info available when you go for HD and nothing is mentioned about framrate...of course you go for the highest i.e 2048k if you have enough headroom when doing broadcast.

What would the best xml setting be if we go for a 720 * 406 output size and is looking for HD quality using flash and PAL.

imryh
12-16-2012, 04:58 AM
We noticed this as well when we got the TC40 (all HD profiles were set to stream at 15fps). We immediately changed the settings to 30fps, which have worked great. We've been streaming at 30fps for a few months now with no issues at all. Just note that every time you upgrade your TC40 in the future you might have to re-edit the streaming profile.

(The difference between 12fps and 15fps is due to the difference between NTSC and PAL)

Lars Borg
12-16-2012, 05:18 AM
Yes we are now testing with resolution 1280 * 720 and use 30fps it works...with the same session we use when broadcasting...and we play a previous broadcast from the DDR and we also stream at the same time.

if we try higher frame setting...we get an error message...not allowed.

imryh
12-18-2012, 12:25 PM
You cannot use random frame rates. They have to be standard and supported by Adobe Flash Media Encoder. The next standard one (without drop frame) would be 60fps.
I wouldn't recommend going beyond 30 fps. The bandwidth required for such a stream would be significant.

Lars Borg
12-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Yes we now have tested everything and is satisfied right now!

bw video
12-20-2012, 11:56 PM
I am just about to purchase the TC40... any advice anyone can give? Is there ANY way to create an interstitial? For a replay move...

joedemax
12-24-2012, 05:19 AM
I am just about to purchase the TC40... any advice anyone can give? Is there ANY way to create an interstitial? For a replay move...

If you want what I think you're asking for then you'd want to move up to one of the professional TriCasters which include animation store transitions.