PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Engine Creation beta is out

Surrealist.
12-15-2012, 02:39 AM
This is looking real interesting indeed. I believe this release has both Softimage and Maya integration.

http://fabricengine.com/get-creation/

http://www.si-community.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3142

Netvudu
12-15-2012, 06:53 AM
It is pretty interesting. Also, pricing and features clearly indicates it is obviously oriented to studios and far from individual artists. It is stupidly pricey for an independent artist. I can see studios getting some leverage from this. On the other hand most big studios already have similar plattforms already implemented so it looks pretty niche to me.

Surrealist.
12-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Creation Platform is now in its final beta phase, which is a paid beta once you deploy beyond the free licenses. These free licenses will continue to be offered once we launch – this is not a promo!

Commercial Pricing

We are currently in paid beta - All sites are eligible for 2 free licenses, all individuals are eligible for 1 free license. This includes students, hobbyists, researchers and people that want licenses for home use.

Overview
Creation Platform is a sophisticated development platform that includes multiple APIs and tools.

Paid licenses are pretty damn affordable for a development platform of this nature. This is something entirely different. Posted here in part because it came up before. But also because it is something that the LightWave community ought to take notice of, follow and advocate for LightWave integration, assuming it does continue to get developed and mature.

And even for an individual artist who wants to program his own stuff, looking real sweet. It's free for the first license. Seems clearly intended to be embraced by teams as well as individuals.

I am not a programer or anything even close. So I have no idea what the reality is for LightWave integration. But it is something to watch.

There are quite a few individual LightWave developers who could benefit from this I think.

Netvudu
12-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Ah, I didnīt notice about the individual offer. Itīs a very good policy. Iīm still not sold about it as a must-have for Lightwave. I mean, every new feature is cool, but I see this more as a product for a studio than a fixed-part of any app.

Surrealist.
12-15-2012, 04:27 PM
That is an interesting view and completely valid and I am sure that is a part of the intended market.

It seems to me they are also targeting individual developers and small teams of 3P developers as a new platform for development. If it takes off it could have a very good impact on the 3D scene. Particularly for something like LightWave that could benefit from the same tools that are being developed for Maya and Softimage.

You have to also keep in mind that every 3D software has a very dedicated group of people who develop tools. We know who a lot of these people are in the LightWave community. There are a lot of people in Japan for instance that make fantastic plugins for LightWave. And then in Maya there are a dedicated core group of scripters writing custom plugins for Maya. And in Softimage there is a very strong group of people developing in ICE. Just sharing compounds like we share .ls scripts and plugins here.

So if you imagine this taking off and all of these talented people can start developing on this platform, you will see a new paradigm emerge. Where really all of these developments have a common platform that can be shared across apps exactly. It would open up pipelines like we could have never imagined before. And this is what the potential of this has. Perhaps that seems a little Utopian. I apologize if it sounds that way. I just see it as a very smart way to develop apps.