PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 11.5 Release date

phicol
12-14-2012, 10:41 PM
any idea when they are going to release 11.5?

Thanks

nickdigital
12-15-2012, 10:15 PM
It'll get released when NewTek deems its ready. No sense in putting out an update that's not production ready.

Markc
12-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Considering the advert in 3D World magazine indicates 11.5 as the current release has been running for the past 5 issues, it should be sooner rather than later.
But I totally agree with Nickdigital.

gclayton
12-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Five months since NewTek introduced LW 11.5, I would think it should be ready for production.

It was also stated that it would be available 4th quarter 2012. Why do they need to wait until the very last second to make it available.

If there are hot fixes to be made, NewTek has shown that this can be done. They did that with the previous releases.

So, come on NewTek, how about letting the rest of us get a taste of LW 11.5?

Marcia
12-16-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm impatient, too... 11.5 has some nice features that would be useful NOW (or several years ago). However, Newtek has to consider its reputation due to all the hype about this upgrade. You can bet it will be reviewed and scrutinized brutally by the CG media/community, so best to wait until they believe the time is right.

I'm excited about LW's future since they reorganized and moved to Burbank. Didn't go to Siggraph, but have heard Rob Powers is enthusiastic and driven. Shades of Steve Jobs, one hopes.

jeric_synergy
12-16-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm excited about LW's future since they reorganized and moved to Burbank. Didn't go to Siggraph, but have heard Rob Powers is enthusiastic and driven. .
I'm especially excited because of the HINTS of changes that we've seen from various sources that address long-standing concerns.

Enthusiasm and drive are cheap commodities: what Rob has is:

the knowledge of what working animators really need;
the experience in how to get a talented group of people to actually deliver.

That's what makes me hopeful. :)

lwanmtr
12-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Yeah, its a very exciting update. Lots of things I could really use.

But I hope NewTek will release when its done and stable...better than releasing something quickly thats riddled with bugs. So, I'm not complaining about the wait (this time).

m.d.
12-16-2012, 02:19 PM
I think it is a good sign...Newtek not saying anything...

If there was going to be a delay past 4th quarter...I am sure we would have been warned....the fact that it is so silent leads me to think they are close..

while I am super impatient and want this now...I have some hope based in a timely release

jeric_synergy
12-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Impatience is an attribute ANY animator can do without. As I like to say, "It ain't jazz."

ShadowMystic
12-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Impatience is an attribute ANY animator can do without. As I like to say, "It ain't jazz."

I have plenty of patiences as an animator. Its the AE link that I'm impatient to try out.

jwiede
12-16-2012, 09:43 PM
If there was going to be a delay past 4th quarter...I am sure we would have been warned....
You've drawn that certainty from _Lightwave's_ history? Hmm. :devil:

Marcia
12-17-2012, 01:03 AM
Enthusiasm and drive are cheap commodities: what Rob has is:

the knowledge of what working animators really need;
the experience in how to get a talented group of people to actually deliver.

That's what makes me hopeful. :)

It's also nice to see commitment to modelers' concerns (cough), like making export formats more robust so you can actually get a model into the pipeline without having to take a detour through Polytrans, Deep Exploration, or the outer circles of hell. Some of the less publicized upgrades really do demonstrate expertise in real world production issues, and are every bit as important as the splashy, glitzy new features. It feels like LightWave is entering a renaissance period.

Definitely hopeful here, too. :)

BeeVee
12-17-2012, 01:53 AM
Why do they need to wait until the very last second to make it available.

Trust me, we're not sitting on a finished 11.5 saying "shall we release today? Naaaahhh, let 'em wait". :) If it's not out yet there's a more valid reason.

B

alexos
12-17-2012, 02:12 AM
Trust me, we're not sitting on a finished 11.5 saying "shall we release today? Naaaahhh, let 'em wait". :) If it's not out yet there's a more valid reason.

"Shall we release today?" "Naah, it still crashes whenever you press T."
"Shall we release today?" "Naah, we haven't finished adding parametric modeling yet."

Um... yeah, I think I know which one I'd prefer :P

ADP.

Hail
12-17-2012, 05:41 AM

B

And what would it break to give us an open beta at this point? like u did with 11?
It could help calm some impatient nerves you know ;) :D

50one
12-17-2012, 05:49 AM

B

I bet it's Matt fault! He still need to finish that new Christmassy splash screen...c'mon Matt, you can do it!

lardbros
12-17-2012, 05:56 AM
I think they are working on my idea for a full texture baking system that will batch bake, and apply the new baked material all in one easy-to-use interface!

OR... maybe not!

50one
12-17-2012, 05:58 AM
...or adding the eagle in a barrel instance generator plugin...

gclayton
12-17-2012, 10:00 AM

B

So you had a working version back in August and now you don't?

And like Hail's comment, Why not let the general community beta test it prior to the release? There's usually always some problem found by the general user community that was not found by the expert beta testers.

lardbros
12-17-2012, 10:06 AM

And like Hail's comment, Why not let the general community beta test it prior to the release? There's usually always some problem found by the general user community that was not found by the expert beta testers.

Simple reason for that... a small group or even one person ruined it for the rest of us by leaking information to other sources!! I'd LOVE to be part of the internal beta testers... and have asked many times, but guess they want to keep the group they've got, and not expand into the area of work I'm in. Shame! :(

If Newtek keep their secrets secret by having internal testing, then that's better for us too!

jeric_synergy
12-17-2012, 10:20 AM
...or adding the eagle in a barrel instance generator plugin...
Pretty much a deal-breaker here.

++

I REALLY wish people wouldn't whinge about release dates: there's other stuff 'WAYYYyyyy more worthy of throwing a temper tantrum like a little mewling baby.

heh heh: "mewling". Thanks, Shakespeare!
+++

And like Hail's comment, Why not let the general community beta test it prior to the release?
Seriously? How about: "We don't want to put up with the b+tchfest before we have to" ?

Phil
12-17-2012, 10:34 AM

It's unlikely to be that black-or-white, and I am encouraged that NT are taking the time to do this right so that the eventual release is as robust as possible. I've no interest in an early software release that is unusable due to bugs.

Signal:noise - it's far too easy to get overwhelmed by a large testing base, as would be evident to anyone involved in the 9.x era of Open Beta. It was a bold experiment, but obviously NT decided that the effort to try and manage the feedback was too great to enable an efficient process to operate.

m.d.
12-17-2012, 10:36 AM
You've drawn that certainty from _Lightwave's_ history? Hmm. :devil:

Ya, Fair enough....
I just wouldn't see the logic in not warning people that it may not be for another month or so...

BigHache
12-17-2012, 11:33 AM
I would like to know if I should or should not expect it this month. I'm fine either way but I would like to know what to expect.

Being extremely realistic they may not even know until the end of the month draws closer.

How about if we don't get it this month we at least get an easter egg when we do get it??? Alt splash screens are always entertaining :D

TheDynamo
12-17-2012, 11:41 AM
I always seem to find threads like this slightly amusing as usually the people clamoring for the immediate release of software also tend to be the first ones kvetching about the bugs in said software. It's kind of like bugging a parent baking a pie, which is a lesson I learned at an earlier age due to my love of pies.

-Hey Mom! Is my Pie Done Yet?
-No, it still has several minutes left to cool
-I don't care, give it to me now. *throws tantrum*
-As you wish.
-Hey! I burned my mouth on the Pie!

-Rob

Hail
12-17-2012, 12:00 PM
it's far too easy to get overwhelmed by a large testing base, as would be evident to anyone involved in the 9.x era of Open Beta. It was a bold experiment, but obviously NT decided that the effort to try and manage the feedback was too great to enable an efficient process to operate.

how about 11x?
did'nt go well also?
Come on..
everyone knows that was a success story and they should continue to build that

cagey5
12-17-2012, 12:03 PM
I suspect if we don't see it in the next couple of days then the holiday season will be upon us and it'll be the new year before we see anything. All speculation of course but nature hates a vacuum as they say.

Phil
12-17-2012, 12:22 PM
how about 11x?
did'nt go well also?
Come on..
everyone knows that was a success story and they should continue to build that

11.0 didn't see an Open Beta. That cements the point in my mind :D

fahr
12-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Does the "4th quarter" end in march? Fiscal quarters do not equal standard monthly quarters.

gclayton
12-17-2012, 01:21 PM
It's unlikely to be that black-or-white, and I am encouraged that NT are taking the time to do this right so that the eventual release is as robust as possible. I've no interest in an early software release that is unusable due to bugs.

If you state a product will be available at a certain time then you have to stop adding features and create a branch that can be tested/improved to a point where it is an acceptable release to get out by the date promised.

Signal:noise - it's far too easy to get overwhelmed by a large testing base, as would be evident to anyone involved in the 9.x era of Open Beta. It was a bold experiment, but obviously NT decided that the effort to try and manage the feedback was too great to enable an efficient process to operate.

I would like to think that NewTek would like to have the extra feedback before making the release final unless they just don't care what the general user community has to say. This is quite a bit different than the open beta where comments/complaints were made constantly.

I really don't understand all the resistance to asking for the availability of LW 11.5 by some in this thread. If you don't like to use a pre-release version then don't use it.

jeric_synergy
12-17-2012, 02:37 PM
I really don't understand all the resistance to asking for the availability of LW 11.5 ....
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"

TheDynamo
12-17-2012, 03:15 PM
I really don't understand all the resistance to asking for the availability of LW 11.5 by some in this thread. If you don't like to use a pre-release version then don't use it.

I wouldn't say it's resistance, it's more a matter of redundancy. This is at least one of 3 threads asking the very same question. It would be fairly safe to assume that Newtek is aware that people are interested in the next version of their product and is working hard to release it as soon as it's ready. I can only guess as to why they can't be specific as to when however I do agree that a little communication would be nice :).

-Rob

ncr100
12-17-2012, 03:17 PM

B

Is this more valid reason really that the team is being held hostage by a murder of crows?

;)

gclayton
12-17-2012, 03:39 PM
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"

Talk about being childish...

Sekhar
12-17-2012, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't say it's resistance, it's more a matter of redundancy. This is at least one of 3 threads asking the very same question. It would be fairly safe to assume that Newtek is aware that people are interested in the next version of their product and is working hard to release it as soon as it's ready. I can only guess as to why they can't be specific as to when however I do agree that a little communication would be nice :).
-Rob
Yes, but this is the first thread that has anything useful IMO, with a material response from NT...unless it morphs into banter and stuff too.

Bill Carey
12-17-2012, 04:35 PM

B

Oooo, maybe new toys! Yet another speculation thread? :)

jwiede
12-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Simple reason for that... a small group or even one person ruined it for the rest of us by leaking information to other sources!!
Please cite the basis for that assertion?

Marcia
12-17-2012, 09:14 PM
"are we there yet?"
"are we there yet?"
"are we there yet?"
"are we there yet?"
"are we there yet?"
"are we there yet?"
"are we there yet?"
"are we there yet?"
"are we there yet?"
"are we there yet?"
"are we there yet?"
"are we there yet?"

talk about being childish...

Don't make me turn this car around! :twak:

lardbros
12-18-2012, 12:58 AM
Talking to the Newtek guys at Siggraph.... Not sure why I have to prove myself in here.... Weird!

vipvip242
12-18-2012, 03:39 AM
just newtek should inform us for a date (even with approximation ), because Q4 2012 is soon ending...
As some other users, this release would be helpfull for actual projects i have.
I hope it is not to make grow a kind of suspence which make remember the sad period of CORE announcement ( some people here can see what i mean ) and this suspence is surely good for their website referencing...
I'm happy to come back to lightwave because the 11 version is good, the 11.5 seems to be excellent but i'm just hopping that Newtek have change with their communication politics ( about Poser extension, ending soon 30th november, 14th december, no more ? ;) )
newtek, if you read me...
Regards

Skonk
12-18-2012, 06:03 AM
Pretty much a deal-breaker here.

++

I REALLY wish people wouldn't whinge about release dates: there's other stuff 'WAYYYyyyy more worthy of throwing a temper tantrum like a little mewling baby.

heh heh: "mewling". Thanks, Shakespeare!
+++

Seriously? How about: "We don't want to put up with the b+tchfest before we have to" ?

I've read most of the posts in this thread and oddly enough, the only posts that are remotely like you describe here and your own.

Hail
12-18-2012, 06:55 AM
I might not be a doctor but I can certainly tell when I'm loosing my patients. :D

Hail
12-18-2012, 07:10 AM
Don't make me turn this car around! :twak:

Oh boy! are we 12 yr olds again?
hmm... just wondering ;)

Jim M
12-18-2012, 07:11 AM
The projected release dates are always projections. People shouldn't get worried or ranty if it gets postponed, or they will be even more ranty if the tools fail in production.
I am just excited about the forethcoming versions of lightwave.
Yes!!

50one
12-18-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm quiet excited about the next release and the future, but...the only thing that i don't like marketing wise is the adverts running in numerous magazines and websites with 11.5 on it, like it's already released....

HenrikSkoglund
12-18-2012, 07:59 AM
It's starting to feel like they will miss Q4 now... But it seems like a release worth waiting for. Though when the announcement about it came out it kinda felt like it was just around the corner. That might have been a strategy though...

Jim M
12-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Well some people do have it already :)

Darth Mole
12-18-2012, 08:06 AM
I might not be a doctor but I can certainly tell when I'm loosing my patients. :D

You may or not be a doctor but you sure as hell can't spell properly.

Hail
12-18-2012, 08:46 AM
You may or not be a doctor but you sure as hell can't spell properly.

English is not my first language and hell.. who cares? I'm not concerned... I have 8 various native languages nailed down my belt and I'm content with that.
I doubt if you can say same.

AmigaNewTek
12-18-2012, 11:00 AM
They can't release the 11.5 version cause the virtual set "Core Style" is not ready, and there are not countdown setup :p

:D

/me hides behind a null point

TheDynamo
12-18-2012, 04:27 PM
I would laugh my rear off if they added a preset to their autorigger titled "Gangnam Core Style".

-Rob

They can't release the 11.5 version cause the virtual set "Core Style" is not ready, and there are not countdown setup :p

/me hides behind a null point

lardbros
12-19-2012, 05:51 AM
English is not my first language and hell.. who cares? I'm not concerned... I have 8 various native languages nailed down my belt and I'm content with that.
I doubt if you can say same.

It was only the loosing/losing error... it happens A LOT, in the UK, and in here too.

Another classic is lightning instead of lighting.

...and quiet/quite

allabulle
12-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Edit: I got it wrong. Nothing to see here, move along. :)

AmigaNewTek
12-19-2012, 09:27 AM
they added a preset to their autorigger titled "Gangnam Core Style".

-Rob

Lol

We really miss such feature

m.d.
12-19-2012, 01:20 PM
I think it is a good sign...Newtek not saying anything...

If there was going to be a delay past 4th quarter...I am sure we would have been warned....the fact that it is so silent leads me to think they are close..

while I am super impatient and want this now...I have some hope based in a timely release

I may have to retract this bit of assumption...as I would have expected the release in the December newsletter, and there is no mention...

devin
12-19-2012, 01:35 PM
I may have to retract this bit of assumption...as I would have expected the release in the December newsletter, and there is no mention...

Yes, I got my hopes up when I saw the email in my inbox. Bummed.

OlaHaldor
12-19-2012, 11:39 PM
As far as I could see in an earlier newsletter/press release, they hoped to release Q4. I can't remember if I ever saw they promised to release Q4.

jeric_synergy
12-19-2012, 11:41 PM
Oh boy! are we 12 yr olds again?
That's how it sounds.

jwiede
12-20-2012, 08:54 AM
If they're in day-for-day slip trying to fix a showstopper bug, then there's little point in estimates, but giving us some brief status where they are in the process of fixing it (is root cause understood? is fix being implemented? how much post-fix testing is planned?) would be a nice courtesy.

Hail
12-20-2012, 09:18 AM
If they're in day-for-day slip trying to fix a showstopper bug, then there's little point in estimates, but giving us some brief status where they are in the process of fixing it (is root cause understood? is fix being implemented? how much post-fix testing is planned?) would be a nice courtesy.

Agreed!
Some sort of info about how far they have gone with it and what is stopping Santa from delivering it as an Xmas present would be very nice :)

Andy Webb
12-21-2012, 09:11 AM
Well they missed 20-12-2012 so now it must be 11-11-1111, sadly I won't be around for that :-)

Andrewstopheles
12-21-2012, 09:13 AM
maybe they were banking on the apocolype and stopped development months ago.... ;)

Andy Webb
12-21-2012, 09:32 AM
maybe they were banking on the apocolype and stopped development months ago.... ;)

You might be onto something there!

vipvip242
12-21-2012, 09:53 AM
"Well they missed 20-12-2012 so now it must be 11-11-1111, sadly I won't be around for that" -> the 13-13-2013 is another possible way... :D
i think the favorite Rob's music should be " enjoy the silence " , which, indeed, has many advantages ;)

Marcia
12-21-2012, 09:57 AM
According to interpretations of the (end of the) Mayan calender, the world was supposed to end today, which would have rendered the release moot, anyway.

Congratulations to those of you who have already made it to December 22. Good luck to the rest of you [US political rant redacted].

On the plus side, Pixologic just released Zbrush 4R5. Guess they were waiting to see if the world would end, too. :)

Digital Hermit
12-21-2012, 10:28 AM
...On the plus side, Pixologic just released Zbrush 4R5. Guess they were waiting to see if the world would end, too. :)

Exactly, so Newtek, now that the end-of-the-world is not happening can we please have our LW update!

Also, could someone send a helicopter to get me off this dang mountain! =D

erikals
12-21-2012, 10:53 AM
02-02-2020 is the next stop i guess... :°

jwiede
12-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Pixologic's agility and productivity of late has been pretty amazing. It plays a big part in how they're staying so far ahead of Mudbox.

In the mean time, we're all still here, so hopefully 11.5 will be joining us soon, though I suspect not before the holidays at this point.

jwiede
12-22-2012, 06:37 AM
Has anyone seen anything in forums or the Newtek or LW websites describing what the support hours will be during the holidays? Unless they're planning to have the phones and email manned as normal all week, they really should have posted something, but I can't find the modified hrs described anywhere. Anyone else see such info?

gclayton
12-22-2012, 10:46 AM
If they did that they would be exposing themselves to unwanted speculation/expectations and therefore will not reveal their intentions until after the holidays.

Hail
12-22-2012, 11:33 AM
With all hopes for a Q4 release now dashed, one can only wonder how many more years we'll have to wait.:devil:
Hope they know we don't have forever to wait for this.:rolleyes:

erikals
12-22-2012, 12:14 PM
hey... 10 more days... :]

gclayton
12-22-2012, 12:21 PM
hey... 10 more days... :]

Yeah, but the LW 3D Group is probably out partying with the big studios and too busy/distracted to worry about getting info or a release out to the general LW user community in the next week.

erikals
12-22-2012, 12:42 PM
this said though, December / January was mentioned as a release date at Siggraph...
not everyone caught that note...

realgray
12-23-2012, 07:49 PM
this said though, December / January was mentioned as a release date at Siggraph...

Ugh... this is making me sad.

erikals
12-23-2012, 10:36 PM
well :hey: now you get to study LW11 even closer...

one good thing about it there is... :yoda:

Hail
12-24-2012, 05:09 AM

8/ :(

jwiede
12-25-2012, 12:34 AM

Did you ever previously bring up this discrepancy in the release date estimates being provided?

Philbert
12-25-2012, 01:25 AM
I thought I just heard Q4.

toeknee
12-25-2012, 03:11 AM
You know not meaning to come of as rude or anything, I am sure that Rob and the rest of the LW development as well as management team can clearly see this thread. Its not hard to see that we are many just sitting on the edge of our seats. In my case waking up early everyday and checking to see first thing if its here or not. I think the responsible thing and the nice thing to do is to be honest with us and give us a clear idea or where we stand.
Sales was a large part of my job for ten years and every time I was having an issue that was going to make something take longer than I wanted or the customer expected, silence was the worst solution on my part. If I was very up front with the client and explained what was happening they were happier about the whole situation.
The fact that I don't see Rob in this thread makes me worry. Personally I have been soothing that with more studying of ZBrush and 3D Coat but that just my way. I really do think considering how close we are to missing the Q4 dead line that they should stop the silent treatment and let us know what is going on.

- - - Updated - - -

You know not meaning to come of as rude or anything, I am sure that Rob and the rest of the LW development as well as management team can clearly see this thread. Its not hard to see that we are many just sitting on the edge of our seats. In my case waking up early everyday and checking to see first thing if its here or not. I think the responsible thing and the nice thing to do is to be honest with us and give us a clear idea or where we stand.
Sales was a large part of my job for ten years and every time I was having an issue that was going to make something take longer than I wanted or the customer expected, silence was the worst solution on my part. If I was very up front with the client and explained what was happening they were happier about the whole situation.
The fact that I don't see Rob in this thread makes me worry. Personally I have been soothing that with more studying of ZBrush and 3D Coat but that just my way. I really do think considering how close we are to missing the Q4 dead line that they should stop the silent treatment and let us know what is going on.
This is an intentional repeat.

erikals
12-25-2012, 12:24 PM
i can see how most people got the Q4 impression only, and not the January launch note...
i guess that could have been more clear.

but hey, now you know... :]
and, in time you will learn, just like me, not to trust release dates ;]

this said, i'm sure they will stick to the Dec / Jan launch date this time around.
(how can i be so sure?... i can't,... i just have that feeling...)

Matt
12-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Yeah, but the LW 3D Group is probably out partying with the big studios and too busy/distracted to worry about getting info or a release out to the general LW user community in the next week.

If only! :)

fablefox
12-25-2012, 08:15 PM
If only! :)

But the thing is, it have been advertised as 11.5 in 3D World for a while. I couldn't help but sense that large studios probably already received 11.5 since siggraph! (and help with bug testing ala clarisse ifx, where large studios get early compared to everyone else).

Amurrell
12-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Our time will come. The beta testers and people in the field have been using it in some form for a while, and with the adverts in the mags, I'm sure the release is right around the corner. I have come to realize that very little is immediate in a world filled with a sense of immediacy, and that patience pays off.

jeric_synergy
12-25-2012, 11:23 PM
I'm not pushing the START button on my "Whingematic 2000" until Jan 1. And probably not even then: I think my incessant complaining already is enough.

If Lino said "Dec/Jan", that's good enough for me, and it's not like I've exhausted all the animation possibilities of instancing, flocking, and nodal motion yet.

Hail
12-26-2012, 10:31 AM
I really need genoma for an upcoming project right now.. :(
and I'm definitely losing my patience:devil:
Come on.. NT!!! Its still not too late you know!:cursin:

allabulle
12-26-2012, 10:38 AM
We all want it. We all need it. Yet not everyone has problems managing our own feelings and emotions. Come on. Have a warm bath? :-)

ivanze
12-26-2012, 11:14 AM
I donīt think it is right to plan some work with a software that is not available now.

blondimage
12-26-2012, 11:20 AM
I thought it was April 2013. I got it on a memo somewhere. I guess you guys didn't ...

snsmoore
12-26-2012, 11:37 AM
If it's any consolation, instead of fantically waiting and checking for the release (which I was doing during the 1st part of this month), I decided to buckle down and go through the modeller tools looking for stuff I could improve my workflow and found some gems. (This is really, really basic stuff that I overlooked and kind of feel silly for missing them...)

1) Add Edges tool (interactive) - super useful for splitting up geometry
2) Dissolve tool - take a couple polygons and join them into a single polygon
3) Extrude edges, followed by translate (e followed by t) for quick extensions of geometry.

I key mapped add edges and dissolve because they aren't keymapped by default, which speeds up my modelling.

Even if you are a LW Pro, there are probably many advanced features to explore - some of which you might find helpful in your workflows, like I did. ;)

erikals
12-26-2012, 03:00 PM
or take a marathon, and play my LW related videos...
http://www.youtube.com/user/erikalst?feature=mhee

Cageman
12-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Did you ever previously bring up this discrepancy in the release date estimates being provided?

Not sure if that matters or not...? If Lino said Dec/January, then that is what one can expect, I suppose?

Erikals: Do you remember if this is in any of the Siggraph videos, and if so, which one?

phicol
12-26-2012, 04:26 PM
everyone at newtek is partying and enjoying holidays and we are checking this forum for 11.5 release 1700 times a day!
Atlease they should put one small note.. this is very strange for company like newtek that they are not even bothering to answer..
Newtek just say Jan 2014 or Jan 2015 for release and everyone will be quite and wont bother you again but not answering and keep your customers waiting is not something a good company will ever do..

silviotoledo
12-26-2012, 04:46 PM
I discovered Newtek have been waiting the secret element that Alien people give in December 21. Now it's a question of days ( from one to 1 billion ) for 11.5 launch! Fingers Crossed!

B

allabulle
12-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Not a bad idea, by the way. Lots of stuff to look at in your youtube channel, erikals. :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Not a bad idea, by the way. Lots of stuff to look at in your youtube channel, erikals. :-)

Andrewstopheles
12-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Probably working feverishly to get the finishing touches on the final release build of 11.5.
It does irk me that some secret beta testers get this stuff before I do - I am a paying customer. What are they paying for that I am not? This is getting more frustrating over time - I keep upgrading but I might stop. (Already paid for 11.5 months ago by the way). Not feeling the love. This 11.5 cycle really emphasises that feeling of exclusion for me. I like where Lightwave is going, but I feel left out.
Similar to how Apple iPhone users and iMac owners get a sense of having a premium product, the membership and early access made me feel I was getting real value for my money. As a paying customer, sometimes pro or freelance and sometimes hobbyist, the value isn't there so much anymore when other hobbysists are downloading pirated versions by the time I get my hands on the software.
I hope NT considers this going forward. I am sure they value the hobbyists that keep buying upgrades but they are obviously serving the studios first. That seems wrong to me. Combines with the new Lightwave Group, it makes me suspect they are positioning Lightwave for sale. If that trend continues, people might jump ship, possibly myself included.
Please don't take this the wrong way - I won't be quitting my paid Lightwave and downloading a pirated copy. I will be paying for whatever at the time I fell puts me ahead in the game, that is all.

eagleeyed
12-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Combines with the new Lightwave Group, it makes me suspect they are positioning Lightwave for sale. If that trend continues, people might jump ship, possibly myself included.

I hadn't seen it that way until I read that, hopefully you are wrong, but I can see logic to this theory. I like Newtek.

Also, The Waiting Game seems to be very detailed, Level 11.5 goes for ages. :P
Hopefully all is well with development, really want to get my hands on a couple of the new features.

snsmoore
12-26-2012, 07:16 PM
or take a marathon, and play my LW related videos...
http://www.youtube.com/user/erikalst?feature=mhee

Wow! There's a lot of good material on your channel! Thanks!

Cageman
12-26-2012, 07:20 PM
It does irk me that some secret beta testers get this stuff before I do - I am a paying customer.

How many lics do you upgrade? In what form are you able to contribute to NewTek regarding marketing material, such as projects, the scope of each project such as articles, marketing material etc... above all... how good does the output you create look compared to others? Have you done anything extraordinary recently in LW that would give NT a hint of someone "thinking outside the box"? This part is extremely valuable since it often involves showcasing completely new workflows that could be optimized if implemented natively.

A couple of examples of that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYJRVUDuZvo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNiuRnisK98

I am guessing that there are many factors that surrounds the selection of users to access closed beta that is important for the development team in order to invest in you as a user, since it, most likely, includes a further discount to the price.

In other words; what can YOU give NewTek as input that they do not get allready from the various feature request forums etc. ?

jeric_synergy
12-26-2012, 09:21 PM
It does irk me that some secret beta testers get this stuff before I do - I am a paying customer. What are they paying for that I am not?
Closed beta testers are chosen for their ability to stress the software and turn in useful, repeatable, and well-characterized bug reports.

Start making stellar bug reports to fogbugz and perhaps you will be elevated to their lofty status.

--And get to bash your head against software that is still being written. Repeatedly. Knowingly.

Andrewstopheles
12-26-2012, 09:40 PM
lol I enjoyed the frequent crashes when toying with new features.

I appreciate your points of view, Cageman and jeric_synergy - perhaps I should be trying to earn an invite. My point of view up until now has been that I paid for this access back in HardCORE and they took it away and gave it to others.
I do not take issue with them exercising their right to do so. I am unhappy about it though. Maybe I'd feel better if I earned it instead of paying for it. I would still be ticked off that I had to go earn what I already paid for with my hard earned money.
Please note: this is a lingering argument that should not go any further on this thread and I apologize for that and shall drop it.

I am excited about 11.5, I am thrilled about the direction Lightwave has taken and thankfully looking forward to the improvements in the free upgrade to 11.5. The future of Lightwave has never looked better.

AmigaNewTek
12-27-2012, 05:18 AM
Maybe they're adding hardware accelerated calculations, dynamics, GPU computing and so on...

djwaterman
12-27-2012, 05:59 AM
Cageman used two examples of Chris Jones latest experiments. Done on a 32 bit machine and using the free sculpt program Sculptris, it's some of the best stuff we've seen and uses none of the new features. We have a great product right now with 11 that can deliver for most of our needs. I would not hold off on anything waiting for the upgrade. Probably the day you stop feverishly checking for 11.5 will be the day it get released.

wesleycorgi
12-27-2012, 08:22 AM
I can't wait to get my hands on 11.5, but I'm also happy to wait for a battle-tested ("production proven") release. I'm sure LW 11 benefitted greatly from Iron Sky. That said, where's my 11.5?!! :)

50one
12-27-2012, 08:56 AM
...i just waned to wish you all happy new year guys! Haven't got a chance to do this earlier on.

jeric_synergy
12-27-2012, 09:52 AM
I can't wait to get my hands on 11.5, but I'm also happy to wait for a battle-tested ("production proven") release.
I'm not sure even the Closed Beta testers routinely use a beta release in tight production. Maybe the stuff they've vetted personally.

silviotoledo
12-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Hey Erik!

Love your videos.

My C & C

Once there's lot of videos we need a grouping to make easier to find.

I really enjoy the plugin review videos, my preffered.

What about an interaction with http://www.lwplugindb.com/

Grouping in sections makes easier to find wich plugin we want!

What happened to lightwiki?

erikals
12-27-2012, 01:21 PM
In other words; what can YOU give NewTek as input that they do not get already from the various feature request forums etc...?
:agree:
one of the reasons i don't care all that much. if i can't contribute in a good way, there is no reason for me to be on the beta team. i would just stand in their way, slowing them down.

and yep, Chris might be a good person to have on the beta team, but maybe even more importantly as a feature request guy.

the thing is, the more bad suggestions we give, the more features NT will have to consider to include.
more professional beta testers equals more professional products.

1000 beta testers doesn't necessarily mean a better end product.
more happy customers, maybe, but not a better product.

erikals
12-27-2012, 01:35 PM
thanks for video comments :hey:
:lwicon:

Cageman, um, can't remember, but it's in the beginning of a video i think.
one of the previews Lino did.

Silvio, thank you :]
Lightwiki is being worked on atm...
have been adding tags lately to the newest videos, so searching my videos should be easier these days.

by interaction with http://www.lwplugindb.com
do you mean embedded videos? if so, yeah, could be an idea i guess...

phicol
12-27-2012, 02:03 PM
nice videos "erikals".. really helpfull..

jwiede
12-27-2012, 10:14 PM
the thing is, the more bad suggestions we give, the more features NT will have to consider to include.
more professional beta testers equals more professional products.
You seem to be implying they only consider features proposed by beta testers, which, if the case, is a seriously flawed approach. Beta testers should be chosen for testing ability, and breadth of configurations, but neither makes their suggestions any better than anyone elses. Nor, for that matter, does their being of professional status -- in fact to some extent it's quite the opposite, as their workflows are more confined / specialized than most.

jeric_synergy
12-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Unless we came up with something BRILLIANT, and easy to implement, I kinda doubt anything would've been added to the To Do list for the last six months.

--Although, LWM Background Image Transparency should really be considered. ;)

I suspect that list was frozen long ago.

jwiede
12-28-2012, 03:17 AM
Unless we came up with something BRILLIANT, and easy to implement, I kinda doubt anything would've been added to the To Do list for the last six months..
Definitely agree, but I read Erikals comment as being more general about pulling future product suggestions, not just limited to the 11.5 update. Relying solely or even primarily on closed beta testers as the source for feature development suggestions in general would be... well, I'm just calling it a bad plan, and leaving it at that.

Hail
12-28-2012, 03:24 AM
Seriously... I'm still lost as to why we don't have a pre-release or atleast an open beta at this point because
I'm quite sure 11.5 is matured enough for that.
These were some of the little things that got many folks excited about lw11(the fact that they were able to lay hands on it early to try it out).
It is very difficult to maintain sanity while waiting for new toys.:devil:
So it is reasonable to give everyone early access of some sort if an expected deadline is likely to be missed.

Philbert
12-28-2012, 03:38 AM
They said they weren't doing open beta anymore.

meatycheesyboy
12-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Seriously... I'm still lost as to why we don't have a pre-release or atleast an open beta at this point because
These were some of the little things that got many folks excited about lw11(the fact that they were able to lay hands on it early to try it out).
So it is reasonable to give everyone early access of some sort if an expected deadline is likely to be missed.

They said they weren't doing open beta anymore.

Please keep in mind that everything I say is conjecture, I have no intimate knowledge about the inner workings of Newtek but to elaborate on Philbert's post I think it is important to keep in mind that while there are definite exceptions, the majority of software companies do not let their customers try pre-release software. Thus, Newtek's attempt to do so can be seen as an experiment of sorts. I would assume that after doing for a few years, they evaluated the gains they were getting by allowing their customers to use pre-release software and decided that from a business point of view it was not worth continuing. Because while on the surface, having an open beta is a low cost venture (you just need to put out an as-is build every few days/weeks/months), it has a a lot of "hidden" costs such as increased pressure from the user base to fix things immediately when that particular bug may have been known by the development team and deemed of lesser immediate importance and increased expectation of constant communication from the user base.

dwburman
12-28-2012, 10:08 AM

Did we have access to LW11 builds before it was released? I don't remember that clearly anymore, but I don't think I did.

erikals
12-28-2012, 10:14 AM
You seem to be implying they only consider features proposed by beta testers, which, if the case, is a seriously flawed approach.
no, but it was partly a reply to a post that wrote about features, so i see how my post could come across that way.
just a bit poor explained / written by me...

Relying solely or even primarily on closed beta testers as the source for feature development suggestions in general would be... well, I'm just calling it a bad plan, and leaving it at that.
yes, didn't mean for it to come across that way.

but having a too big beta team with "newbies" posting all over the place might be quite inefficient.
(no offense to the newbies, including myself)

as for new features, i've posted several suggestions through the years, some have been added, some have been or are being considered, some have been questioned.
but i've usually done that outside the beta, as they haven't actually been related to new beta tools.
remember, there is a difference between new features, and beta tool fixes / requests.

new features that are not directly or indirectly related to a beta tool should be posted outside the beta imo. (and they usually are)

but this also needs to be adjusted according to the size of the beta team.
how big is the beta team currently?
30 people?... 100 people?... 300?...

i have no idea...

cagey5
12-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Only a few more weeks!

3DGFXStudios
12-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Post from rob powers http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?132512-Lightwave-11-5-Release-Update

Kaptive
12-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Awesome!

We can't reply to Robs post, but I'll just say in here...

Rob, many thanks for the update on where we are to. Most kind. Very much looking forward to trying out all the new listed and un-listed! features!

I can't wait, and feel settled knowing that it isn't too far away. Please pass on my best wishes to the hard working team (that includes yourself also :).

BigHache
12-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Time to pick a new date! I'm going with January 17rd.

Marcia
12-28-2012, 11:14 AM
:i_agree:

I wonder if they added the "do my job" button?

kfinla
12-28-2012, 11:26 AM
I'll guess Jan 23rd.

Andrewstopheles
12-28-2012, 11:33 AM
The update from Rob answers my questions and alleviates my current concerns so I for one am happy, if only for a moment. ;)

lwanmtr
12-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Ill say Jan-21...hehe

Too bad they dont have the open beta....That did wonders for the 9.6 cycle...caught and smashed alot of bugs during that because it was a very large base of users finding, checking and reporting.
Plus it had people from all aspects of users...Professionals to hobbyists. Maybe they will bring it back after 11.5?

jeric_synergy
12-28-2012, 05:55 PM
To tell you the truth, SUGGESTIONS I think are a lot more useful on point upgrades than on full version increments.

That is, tweeks and optimizations are more likely to result from working with a new feature, versus some random user coming up with entire new paradigms and workflows. Saying "gimme everthing XSI, Maya, and Messiah have (or I'll hold my breath)" doesn't count.

My suggestions are almost always tweeks of existing features. YMMV.

jeric_synergy
12-30-2012, 12:22 PM
:i_agree:

I wonder if they added the "do my job" button?
"Make Better" is the one I'm waiting for.

Trooper
01-01-2013, 11:13 AM
That would be great,Jan 17th is my Birthday!