PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #200 - Jerry Can

XswampyX
12-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #200 - Jerry Can

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/JerryCans.jpg

Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave must be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's.

This week's topic: Jerry can, or petrol can/container. Nothing too stressfull leading up to the holidays. Old or new, metal or plastic. Even your own improved design. Have fun.

Time limit: 60 minutes

Deadline: Thursday, December, 20th, 2012, 22:00 G.M.T

Hope you don't mind the specific items. Is it a good/bad idea?

Cheers!

Wittywop
12-14-2012, 12:57 PM
So I have fallen behind on doing speed modeling. So I figure I'd get a quick jump on this challenge. I don't have much experience with sub-patch and have mainly been going off tutorials I have seen.

Not sure If you want me to post question here or not, but it had to do with this challenge and you are all wicked amazing so I figured why not :D

So I got the basic shape of my can, But when I do a test render I still see the seams. It is very frustrating. What is a good way to keep a smooth look with out the seams or pinching? Do you use control loops and then just got through and adjust the points to get back to the shape you want?

Thanks for help.

JoePoe
12-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Nice Can!

Would help to see some wires. (or post the .lwo)

But.... off the top of my head (and believe me there are better heads here) it does look like some of your control loops are pretty close to other edges in conspicuously flat-ish areas. (the closer a control loop is to 50% the less pinching.... in my experience.)

You don't have to push individual points around. Grab the bunch that don't need to be so close, and, if you are on a clean axis just move them over. If not on a clean axis use a plug like wedge slide (http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=34be0b7b) (free) to get them closer to the 50% point.

I'm sure there are other plugs.... I think the newer version of Swift Edge Loop might be able to move a bunch of selected edges, but I'm not sure.
(The version I have only moves the whole loop (what you don't want) or just one edge at a time.... basically the same as moving two points at a time).

stevmjon
12-14-2012, 01:57 PM
here's a jerrycan i had in my shed. it is partly rusted though, but i wanted to do a perty render.
i might do another render of it dirty and rusty later.

i had 3 attempts at this model, because i get carried away with detail, and wanted to get the handle right.

stevmjon

Wittywop
12-14-2012, 02:54 PM
So Here is the wireframe and a pic of the areas I am having troubles with. I feel my wire frame is good, but in all reality, what do I know this is only like my 5th sub-patched object. It seems to be the areas where 5 polys share a common point.

Thanks

JoePoe
12-14-2012, 03:19 PM
ah yes. I like that you are thinking in terms of using as few polys as possible. But in this case you're going to need a bit more geometry.

Try some MORE control loops.
Do a quick subdivide and you will see a big improvement, but that will put in cuts you really don't need. So instead of a blanket increase in geometry just do that to see what i mean.

XswampyX
12-14-2012, 05:22 PM
I would try a cut along the green edges, and then bandsaw on the red loops or bandsaw then cut.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/UntitledpngBSaw_zps8439c339.jpg

JoePoe
12-14-2012, 06:03 PM
I feel my wire frame is good...

yup, good bones. :thumbsup:

So, there really weren't any control loops.... just a couple on the handle. I took the liberty of a quick remake with some loops to tighten things up.
I put in a couple more cuts than swampy. And there was so little initial geometry I ended up needing them a lot closer than the 50% (which I really thought would do the trick).
Live and learn.
Not sure if the shape is heading where you want, but I'll leave that up to you.
(no creases though :))

JoePoe
12-16-2012, 12:30 PM
...Nothing too stressfull leading up to the holidays.

uh okay. :)

Shoot for the stars and wind up with a piece of......
6 minutes over (believe it or not).

A little scared to render the thing.

ksm357
12-16-2012, 12:40 PM
yo yo
hope you like this one :D
very simple model extruded from a cube and added 'X' as a separated object
used HDR image for lighting

and wire:

JoePoe
12-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Nice ksm :thumbsup:
_________

nothin' like some grime to hide all the .... grime.:screwy:

XswampyX
12-18-2012, 04:33 PM
These look great. Only 2 days left! :hey:

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/PetrolCans1_Small_zps89e793ed.jpg

XswampyX
12-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Time's up.

Wittywop. Pretty good for the limited poly count. A good start. Did you ever finish it?
Stevmjon. Good job, you can see the extra effort on the handle. Nice render.
JoePoe. Heh he. cool design there. Love the detailing of the fuel caps.
ksm357. Love this. Pretty much what I had in mind when I set the challenge. Smooth wires!

And the winner?..... it's stevmjon for the barrel. Good job. :thumbsup:

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Petrol_Cas_Wired_zps1f1a5ca8.jpg

Is it Kuzey for the next one?

Samoht VII
12-21-2012, 04:55 PM
How can you tell who's organizing the next challenge?

XswampyX
12-21-2012, 04:57 PM
The sixth rule about speed modelling is.... The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's.

He won last weeks. ergo.

Samoht VII
12-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Oh Ok. So we are kinda behind one round. I thought winner of this would choose next which kinda confused me. I did read the rules promise.

XswampyX
12-21-2012, 05:01 PM
It normally works out quite well. The winner gets a week to think of the challenge subject, but sometimes forgets. :D

stevmjon
12-21-2012, 09:30 PM
thanks xswampyx.

i am on holidays at the moment. i may need a reminder to start the challenge, or i may get side tracked.
i will be visiting family at different times, so i may get 'stuck' somewhere. not too sure.

i will do my best, stevmjon

VictoryX
12-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Have the challenges died? Or did I just miss the new one?

XswampyX
12-30-2012, 02:44 AM
I don't think so? It's the Christmas holidays. The people who have won are loaded up on mince pies and brandy and can't remember their log-on. Hopefully things will return to normal in the next few days. Does somebody want to start one? If not I can.....

bellmore
12-30-2012, 12:07 PM
If you could start one, XswampyX, that would be okay with me. Even if it is just to kill time until the official one gets posted. I have been practicing be creating my own speed challenges. I have tried two so far, Shoes and Speakers, but it is not the same.

Iain
12-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Go on then bellmore. Pick a category.................

bellmore
12-31-2012, 11:16 AM
Should I start a new thread or should I post into this one? I want to be sure. Thanks.

XswampyX
12-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Start a new one. :thumbsup:

JoePoe
12-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Considering that the last couple of hosts have been.... um.... tardy, (I hope everything is okay with you guys) maybe the next topic should be ALARM CLOCKS! :D

Happy New Year!