PDA

View Full Version : Nuke FREE dynamics plugin

m.d.
12-13-2012, 01:36 PM
http://www.nukepedia.com/dynamics/

Rigid and soft with constraints....free

silviotoledo
12-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Powerfull compositing software with 3D and dynamics support! Cool!

Anyway Nuke is too much for me. Hope After Effects will have something similar soon.

m.d.
12-13-2012, 06:56 PM
lets just hope lightwave has constraints soon :devil:

jwiede
12-13-2012, 08:18 PM
lets just hope lightwave has constraints soon :devil:
It's feeling pretty ridiculous (and frustrating) that Nuke's Bullet HBD integration offers deeper constraint support than LW.

jasonwestmas
12-13-2012, 08:21 PM
I would agree that a full blown constraints system would make lightwave animation actually feel somewhat modern.

Netvudu
12-14-2012, 01:51 AM
It's feeling pretty ridiculous (and frustrating) that Nuke's Bullet HBD integration offers deeper constraint support than LW.

Maybe, but some people also need a reality check and test how bullet is implemented in other packages before shouting "sinner!". The truth is that after using for quite some time bullet in Maya, Houdini and Lightwave, Newtek´s implementation of bullet is by far the simplest,easiest and artist friendly of the three.
I agree that feature-wise bullet in LW needs some stuff the sooner the better, but useability should score higher in every card, and in that regard we are at the top, bar none.

Surrealist.
12-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Its nice to have Bullet in LightWave. And I agree it is simple.

In my opinion, any dynamics system to even be considered useable in production has to have at the very least all these things:

1) Interaction with all other Dynamics systems. Preferably the same system. (Nucleus, ICE) Cloth, Softbody, hardbody, particles etc.
2) Has to be robust and work out of the box. (No endless testing to try and get objects to stop bouncing around for example, they should just stop - eventually!).
3) Has to have parameters that actually do what they say. i.e. friction actually makes something stick.
4) Has to interact with the animation system. (Keyframed objects and bones). And itself be keyframable as to when it starts and stops and thus convert an animated object into a dynamic object mid animation so it can inherit inertia etc.
5) Has to have a good cache system that can be saved to file and played back, speed and start times adjustable.
6) Has to have a good series of constraints, (hinges and so on) keyframable and fully configurable.

It is very easy these days to find solutions that have all of this and so much more. Currently LightWave is lacking too many of the above list in Bullet for me . I just suppose it depends what you want to use it for.

Will be interesting to see what future releases bring.

jasonwestmas
12-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Simply put, the main issue with lightwave for deeper projects is that it has few paths to connect the animation and dynamics tools together. On their own they are quite stable and dependable. Put them together and things start falling apart.

jwiede
12-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Maybe, but some people also need a reality check and test how bullet is implemented in other packages before shouting "sinner!".
I've worked with Bullet in Maya (via Dynamica), Modo (Recoil), C4D, Houdini, LW, and a couple of others, and have a pretty good understanding of its usage and workflow in other systems as well as LW. Frankly, they're _all_ pretty much "assign-and-play" in setup and operation for "simple" sims -- and LW can't DO truly complex Bullet sims, thanks to lack of constraints. Can you give a specific example of the "simplicity" LW offers which isn't present in other pkgs? A specific case where those other pkgs force undue complex configuration on the user (that wouldn't be encountered by LW during usage to prepare an equivalent multi-object Bullet sim)?

m.d.
12-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Lightwave is pretty user friendly....I'll give it that...

But in dynamics...i really cant think of 1 app that it can compete with....blender included...not just bullet...but dynamics in general

I am confident Newtek will turn this into a strength in the future...and soft will be a good start....but we will need a lot more to do some more complex sims