PDA

View Full Version : Critical Error CRASH on "Show Changes" Layout Save dialog??

sami
12-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Anyone else getting their 11.03 Layout crashing with a critical error (LOSING THE SCENE I might add :cursin: ) when they click the checkbox for "Show Changes" when trying to save a scene with changes?
Is this a known bug or am I special and Lightwave hates me after all these years and wanted me to lose an hour worth of work?

jwiede
12-13-2012, 04:00 AM
Not seeing it here, but not quite sure what steps you're taking either. Can you give precise steps that led to crash?

sami
12-13-2012, 06:26 AM
Had a not very complex scene - 1 rigged character several other objects and parented nulls and IK, worked on changes, parenting, scaling keyframes. Went to save it and it brought up the Save Dialog, thought I would scan through the list just to make sure it was saving everything - so I clicked the "Show Changes" checkbox and immediate Critical error dialog followed by the windows dialog "Close this program/Find a Solution". Nothing was saved. Original scene unharmed I think.

Running Layout 32bit on Win 7 64bit 8gb ram, latest geforce driver from November. This is the first time I clicked the Show Changes box having not really noticed it before, and now it's the last. Funny how trust is important in usability and interaction with applications.

Has no one experienced this before?

3DGFXStudios
12-13-2012, 07:04 AM
incremental save is your friend.

nickdigital
12-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Try rescanning your plugins. Maybe the one you're using is corrupted in the ext file.

sami
12-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Try rescanning your plugins. Maybe the one you're using is corrupted in the ext file.

I was getting a weird situation a week ago where one of my plugins wasnt able to write its own config file to the Program Files (x86)\NewTek\Lightwave 11.0\MyPlugins folder so I removed it from there but then added it again from a folder on my desktop, but every now and then it thinks it is back in the Lightwave\Plugins folder (as if it forgot that I deleted and re-added it) so I have to re add it yet again. This happens about once every 2 days with lots of Layout restarts as I work.

I assume LW 64 and 32bit use different plugin folder ext files ? I usually make sure to entirely quit say the 32bit (including the hub) before launching the 64bit. Could this be the source of the problem? How does all that work?

But just to confirm all you guys can use the "Show Changes" checkbox and it works with no crash?

sami
12-13-2012, 09:56 AM
incremental save is your friend.

true, but does incremental save only save the scene or changes to objects' surfaces too? Because it's unlikely I'd want to save the surface changes until I'm read to commit them - or does it just save incremental copies of the LWOs as well as the Scene?

jwiede
12-13-2012, 10:25 AM
But just to confirm all you guys can use the "Show Changes" checkbox and it works with no crash?
Yep, no crash under similar conditions either upon selecting the checkbox or the save button here, I'm on MacUB 32/64 (neither crashes).

3DGFXStudios
12-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Incremental save (shift+s) in layout saves the scene only. It doesn't touch the objects. You can also incremental save the object but you have to click something else

nickdigital
12-13-2012, 11:43 AM
I was getting a weird situation a week ago where one of my plugins wasnt able to write its own config file to the Program Files (x86)\NewTek\Lightwave 11.0\MyPlugins folder so I removed it from there but then added it again from a folder on my desktop, but every now and then it thinks it is back in the Lightwave\Plugins folder (as if it forgot that I deleted and re-added it) so I have to re add it yet again. This happens about once every 2 days with lots of Layout restarts as I work.

I assume LW 64 and 32bit use different plugin folder ext files ? I usually make sure to entirely quit say the 32bit (including the hub) before launching the 64bit. Could this be the source of the problem? How does all that work?

Try redirecting your configs manually via the -c flag. And yes, there are two ext files for the 32 and 64 bit versions.

sami
12-13-2012, 08:20 PM
thanks I'll have a look at it. But even if it was a rogue plugin with goofy settings, Layout should not crash when clicking a checkbox. It should at the very least let you save and restart or something elegant. But either way, it makes me dubious about trusting Layout's most important feature - the save. An app should never make you feel trepidation about whether you can trust it or not. I might just stay away from that button until 11.5 ;)