PDA

View Full Version : Displacement order versus Motion Modifiers... / NodeItemMotion / control of order?

jeric_synergy
12-11-2012, 12:22 PM
in THIS (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?132202-%28repost%29-Nodal-moving-just-a-very-few-one-points-at-a-time)long running saga:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?132202-%28repost%29-Nodal-moving-just-a-very-few-one-points-at-a-time

... user ADK solved a problem for me, which solution was then thwarted by another plugin I was using, NodeItemMotion.

ADK's solution turned out to be incompatible with NodeItemMotion because although it accurately displaced the points in question (brilliant!), the nodal motion then proceeded to DISalign them, thanksatonne, nodeitmemotion. ;)

So, the nodal outputs of "World Position" were not accurate, because the Motion Modifier moved the Object AFTER the nodal outputs were evaluated. (Or so it would appear/that's my theory.)

The question: Is it possible to RE-order the evaluation sequence such that the Motion Modifier is applied FIRST, then the points' world coordinates are evaluated?

RebelHill
12-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Change the displacement order dropdown.

jeric_synergy
12-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Change the displacement order dropdown.
Didn't work last night.

adk
12-11-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm no expert in any of these, but I think perhaps there's a bug here somewhere with the point info node inside of nodal motion. That or I'm just not using / hooking it up / understanding it correctly ?
It's happened a lot, so I wouldn't put it past me :D

This simplified scene of yours jeric_synergy & grab explain it pretty well I hope.

The item nodal flow calculates distance between two mesh pivot points (one mesh is moving in xyz)
The point nodal flow calculates distance between two points (being part of the mesh = also moving in xyz)

The subtracted results of both of these are broken out & shown via Input Spy & as expected the RHS columns correspond to one another 100% - at every frame.
So essentially

result from item nodal flow = result from point nodal flow

Except ....

If I plug the subtraction result from the item nodal flow, one mesh follows the other (as expected)
If I plug the subtraction result from the point nodal flow, the mesh that's supposed to follow no longer does so ... not even after an F9 ?