PDA

View Full Version : A question about hardware

Mitja
12-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Hi,
recently I was asked:
1) what do you prefer, a PC or a mac?
I answered the pc, because mac's harware is a bit outdated. Note I'm looking for good price/performance ratio, so the i7 would be the best.
Is this true?

2) Then, the amount of ram.
What would be the typical scenario where I would need, let's say, 32GB of ram? Do I really need that much ram?
So far I wasn't able to reach the 10GB of usage, doing stills of archviz. Are 16GB just enaugh?

3) And the rendernodes, how much ram?

Thanks.

Mitja
12-11-2012, 04:30 AM
How much ram is your average scene using?
No one?

bazsa73
12-11-2012, 08:19 AM
I was wondering about same, I guess the i7 6 core is not a bad choice. You get lots of power for a friendly price.
32 gb is nice, you can do lots of compositing with that plus you dont need to worry about scene sizes. LW eats memory alive but with 32 you are on the safe side.
Of course there is always a better bigger etc computer as we all know.

Kryslin
12-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Average scene usage? Rarely over 3GB. However...

I have a decently powerful i7 (i7-960 @3.2Ghz) with 24GB of RAM, running Win7 Pro, 64 bit. There has been one occasion where I've had Lightwave 64bit give me an out of memory error, and that was with FiberFX (trying for a short, close, dense coat of fur on a cat, very close up). Yes, I ate up 22GB of free memory trying that.

Danner
12-12-2012, 06:41 AM
Some of my scenes don't load on 4gb. RAM is relatively cheap now so we are gettinng 16gb for the new machines.
Price performance I'd go with a i7 3930. it's about 12% slower than the 3970 that costs 80% more. (this 80% is speaking of the processor only, a machine as a whole would be only 22% more expensive, and that is what really matters, The complete package.)

We can spend a little more so we are getting 3970s which will last a bit longer before they go obsolete and are a pleasure to work with.

Mitja
12-12-2012, 11:52 AM
It was more about "software" rather than hardwere. I was always used to work with scene that would eat 2-5GB of ram, in some cases a bit more. But I never really had the need of a system with 32Gb.
When I heard it I was like: oh, what kind od stuff are they doing if they need that much ram? It's me that I'm just playing rather then duing serious stuff?
I dont' know if you got me...

Dexter2999
12-12-2012, 11:56 AM
I like to get more RAM if I can, but that isn't really about LW but more about my propensity to keep PS, AI, or AE open (not all at the same time) when working. Extra apps mean extra RAM particularly AE.

Like was mentioned above, I'd probably go with the 16G RAM on a node just because it is very reasonably priced and I know none of the kind of work I do would ever hit a cieling there.