PDA

View Full Version : Animate a drill

THIBAULT
12-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Hi,
I need to create an animation of a drill makes a hole in a workpiece.
And then I hold! While it seems easy to do in other 3D software (boolean animate), I have no idea how to do this easily in Lightwave.
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance

Chrusion
12-10-2012, 03:16 PM
You're talking of making a hole appear and deepen over time, not the complex simulation of material being cut away by the drill bit and spiraling out in those little corkscrew ribbons or bits of "saw dust" using particles and dynamic collisions, right? If so, the easy way is to make your object with holes booleaned into it. Then using the cutting object (drill bit), moved the top of the cutter so it is flush with the object's surface. Give it the same surface name. Copy/paste it into the same layer as the cut object. Create a new morph map, select the geometry now filling the hole and scale it down (or just move the top circle of points down into the hole). Save object. In Layout, add Morph Mixer to the object, select morph map, and key the morph as needed. Add drill bit object and move it at the same rate as the morph (or visa versa).

XswampyX
12-10-2012, 05:41 PM
You're talking of making a hole appear and deepen over time, not the complex simulation of material being cut away by the drill bit and spiraling out in those little corkscrew ribbons or bits of "saw dust" using particles and dynamic collisions, right? If so, the easy way is to make your object with holes booleaned into it. Then using the cutting object (drill bit), moved the top of the cutter so it is flush with the object's surface. Give it the same surface name. Copy/paste it into the same layer as the cut object. Create a new morph map, select the geometry now filling the hole and scale it down (or just move the top circle of points down into the hole). Save object. In Layout, add Morph Mixer to the object, select morph map, and key the morph as needed. Add drill bit object and move it at the same rate as the morph (or visa versa).

Works well! Throw in a few particles with instanced swarf and your good to go.

http://youtu.be/ur805CEd0Iw

THIBAULT
12-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Thanks very much guys !
I'm going to try your solutions.
Bye

zapper1998
12-11-2012, 10:15 AM
You're talking of making a hole appear and deepen over time, not the complex simulation of material being cut away by the drill bit and spiraling out in those little corkscrew ribbons or bits of "saw dust" using particles and dynamic collisions, right?
If so, the easy way is to make your object with holes booleaned into it.
Then using the cutting object (drill bit), moved the top of the cutter so it is flush with the object's surface.
Give it the same surface name. Copy/paste it into the same layer as the cut object.
Create a new morph map, select the geometry now filling the hole and scale it down (or just move the top circle of points down into the hole).
Save object. In Layout, add Morph Mixer to the object, select morph map, and key the morph as needed.
Add drill bit object and move it at the same rate as the morph (or visa versa).

ok I tried doing that... And I must be doing something wrong.....
is it possableto share the scene..??
Thanks
Mike..

Chrusion
12-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Sorry, it's only inside my brain. There are a few ways to make a hole appear. Even easier after booleaning holes in your object is to just fill the surface hole with a poly (select points in clockwise order, click Make Poly), cut the poly, paste into a new layer, and in Layout, move that layer down. To be super CU realistic, you could apply Spikey to the circle poly to turn it into a flatten cone, then create a morph of the center vertex moved down below the surface to make the flat circle into a cone. In Layout, morph the circle as the tip of the drill object touches until the full depth of the conical portion of the drill bit is reached, then continue with Y translation to move the cone down with the drill bit... not that you would see it by then, but you get the idea. Particles are a whole 'nother topic.

jeric_synergy
12-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Also, Denis has a ... Boolean surface? Anyway, IIRC you can move a boolean surface (which appears transparent) into another surface and it create the illusion of a hole.

Zapper, just think "endomorph".

jeric_synergy
12-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Also, Denis has a ... Boolean surface? Anyway, IIRC you can move a boolean surface (which appears transparent) into another surface and it create the illusion of a hole.

Zapper, just think "endomorph".

XswampyX
12-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Here the scene I came up with..... pretty much as described above really.