PDA

View Full Version : Nodes: vector 'breakout box': vector in, 3 outs?

jeric_synergy
12-07-2012, 09:13 PM
OK, let's see if I can beat the forum (on a friday night):

I could use 3 "Vector Scalar" nodes to break a vector into 3 components, but Shirley there's one node that will do it all at once, right?

(Would it have killed them to name it "Vector To Scalar"?)

Already opened a slew, haven't found it yet... 8~

EDIT: iow, the INVERSE of the "MAKE VECTOR" node.

RebelHill
12-08-2012, 02:19 AM
yeah, not native no. Grab... I think its trueArts... nodes freepack which has it, split vector.

XswampyX
12-08-2012, 05:38 AM
http://www.db-w.com/products/dbwtools/docs?start=1

Channel Blend node?

jeric_synergy
12-08-2012, 12:36 PM
yeah, not native no.
Wow, I'm sincerely surprised. Huh. (Thanks for the alternatives.)

I would have thought that would be like, oh, the 3rd node coded.

http://www.db-w.com/products/dbwtools/docs?start=1

Channel Blend node?
THERE it is. :bowdown:

A very real challenge for ME (and maybe other users) is just RECALLING what nodes are available.

Since I was trawling the filter with "Vector" and "Scalar", "Channel Blender" would have never come up.

Helpful documentation/training would be tricky on this one: besides their names, if it were possible to have

KEYWORDS attached (invisibly, for the most part) to nodes, and
a visual reference so that users could scroll thru a gallery showing the inputs/outputs of a node (which is often what I need to see to determine if the node is the one I need)

would work, but TMK is a huge job, and probably not worth it.

KEYWORDS, maybe, is more worthwhile: if NEWTEK included some sort of system in the node definition it could be pretty extensible and coders could just add that field to the node itself and it would automagically work. Even better if users could add to keywords for their own personal installations, helping them REfind nodes.

dwburman
12-08-2012, 01:01 PM
I've whined about this one in the past too. It seems completely unnecessary to have to open the Vector Scalar node up to select one of five or six options from the drop down menu when you could just put 5 or 6 outputs out on the visible part of the node and not have to open, select channel, for each one.

There's also SplotchDog's 3 Little Nodes (http://www.splotchdog.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6:3littlenodes&catid=11:lightwaveplugins&Itemid=114) pack that has RGB2Scalar, but it's Win 32 only ATM.

jeric_synergy
12-08-2012, 01:16 PM
I've whined about this one in the past too. It seems completely unnecessary to have to open the Vector Scalar node up to select one of five or six options from the drop down menu when you could just put 5 or 6 outputs out on the visible part of the node and not have to open, select channel, for each one.
Yeah: it is not a well-thought out tool. Again with the bloody menus, WTF?

RADIO BUTTONS seem under-used in the LW interface. But for this particular application, outputs would be very appropriate. By good luck, the charity coders have us covered, it seems, but good luck is not Good Policy (despite what the reich-wing wants us to believe).

Sensei
12-10-2012, 08:52 AM
yeah, not native no. Grab... I think its trueArts... nodes freepack which has it, split vector.

You're correct RebelHill.. :)
TrueArt's Node Library > Tools > Split Vector..

Jeric: you're completely not checking what you are installing.. I have seen dozen your posts about Node Library.. How somebody can't see it there?

Do you know what I did when LW v9.0 was released?
Plugged the all nodes, one by one, to check what they do.
Literally all.

jeric_synergy
12-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Jeric: you're completely not checking what you are installing..
Even if I did, remembering what's in there is a challenge. YMMV.

Also, I have a preference for native solutions.

Sensei
12-10-2012, 12:54 PM
If it's challenge, we rather should not talk about Quantum Physics... :D

ps. You will see what I mean 21-December-2012..

jeric_synergy
12-10-2012, 01:32 PM
It is a challenge, which I why I suggested keywords might help people such as myself FIND useful nodes, better than the just node names do.

If "people such as myself" means "not so clever people", I'm ok with that.

As far as helping users: I can see the current node search box (big win THERE-- seriously!) being enhanced by:

being able to work as it currently does
being able to work as it currently does PLUS keywords
being able to work as it currently does ONLY using keywords
allowing user to designate nodes as "Favorites" (search term "Fav", plus an asterisk in the node list)

Or, perhaps "Favorites" deserves its own tab, like the currently existing "Node Flow" tab.

Sensei
12-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Just enter "Vector" or "vec" in search box.. and there is it.. ;)

jeric_synergy
12-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Not the same issue.

Lightwolf
12-11-2012, 04:00 AM
Since I was trawling the filter with "Vector" and "Scalar", "Channel Blender" would have never come up.

But that's because it also does more than simply merging or splitting, it also allows you to selectively replace a component of the vector.

Vector Blender might have been a slightly better choice... except that the duality of vectors/colours being the same still confuses people.

Cheers,
Mike

RebelHill
12-11-2012, 04:58 AM
the duality of vectors/colours being the same still confuses people.

I always liked the thinking of colours as "spectral vectors"... sums it up nicely.

Lightwolf
12-11-2012, 05:02 AM
I always liked the thinking of colours as "spectral vectors"... sums it up nicely.
I just think of them as three values (in this context). :D

Cheers,
Mike

Sensei
12-11-2012, 06:39 AM
I am value, like the rest of Universe.. ;)

See Matrix.. ;)

Do you see values, or not yet Mike? ;)

Lightwolf
12-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Do you see values, or not yet Mike? ;)
Plenty of values, little meaning. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Sensei
12-11-2012, 06:57 AM
Better throw up everything what you do. It's meaningless.
And take a book about Quantum Physics and start thinking: what are true elemenary particles..
You're programmer: you can do it.

You have just 10 days for it to 21 December.. ;)

jeric_synergy
12-11-2012, 09:15 AM
But that's because it also does more than simply merging or splitting
Which is why I'd like keyword search. Names are just too limited.