PDA

View Full Version : NewTek's developers' testing suite: names

jeric_synergy
12-07-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm a big advocate of Real World Users sending NewTek entire typical scenes so the devs can experience what working animators (I've heard of them) actually deal with. 'Cuz I suspect the devs sometimes use convenient-to-them elements that are not representative of RW concerns.

Maybe I'm totally crap at naming objects, but "Book2" doesn't seem out of hand in the length department. See the attached image.

The problem is: "Book2" is just the start. Book2 has layers, and incremental versions, and very soon the panel title in the Motions Panel is not useful AT ALL in telling one item from another. They'd be better off not including the object name at all in the panel title, since it only makes it look cluttered, and is functionally useless.

I don't care how Matt addresses this, I'd just like to see it addressed. And there are several places where the area designated for the item names is woefully inadequate.

I suggest that the very top line of the panel, under the title bar, display the item name, with an option for "mouse hover display" for those names that would exceed even that generous amount of space.

cresshead
12-07-2012, 02:36 PM
so basically long names get truncated and that makes 'similar' named objects impossible to decifer what you have open in the motion panel....

jeric_synergy
12-07-2012, 03:05 PM
so basically long names get truncated and that makes 'similar' named objects impossible to decifer what you have open in the motion panel....
And they're not really even all that long. 8~

And it's also true in the LWM object display beside the layer buttons.

It's like we're back to 8.3 filenames. :compbeati :screwy:

jwiede
12-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Yeah, ultimately mouse-hover display is needed for _any_ location displaying names. It needs to be considered and developed in as a fundamental part of the design. Thinking there's ever enough room in small panels is designing for failure.

jeric_synergy
12-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Oh yeah, I remembered one today (I don't often use them):

The HYPERVOXEL panel (see attached) has a ridiculously narrow, unsizable column for item names. You can sidescroll it, but not via mousewheel, --it's bad.

The HV panel seems to have a lot in common w/the FFX panel, but it is resizable, praise Korfu. Perhaps a HV panel makeover would not be too onerous.

jeric_synergy
12-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Here's the REVERSE problem: the node editor doesn't seem to indicate what entity it is addressing but there's generally a LOT of room in editor title bar-- it's a bit unnerving to suddenly realize you're not certain which item you've been working on.....

cresshead
12-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Here's the REVERSE problem: the node editor doesn't seem to indicate what entity it is addressing but there's generally a LOT of room in editor title bar-- it's a bit unnerving to suddenly realize you're not certain which item you've been working on.....

yeh plenty of 'to do's" for newtek on tidying up all panels!

jeric_synergy
12-09-2012, 08:32 AM
This one almost makes me want to add a node and rename it the entity in question as a lable. Another forum user was doing that as a form of commenting.

kopperdrake
12-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Well, if we're talking panel tweaks - my current pet hate is the auto-sizing of the left-hand name panel of the scene editor when you resize the entire window to see more frames in the right-hand panel. I just know someone is going to tell me there's an option to turn that off now...