PDA

View Full Version : Shatter Plug-in

circleofsmoke
12-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Hi

I dont think this is currently a feature but I think it would be useful to have a way of controlling shatter more effectively either through weight maps or maybe using the polygons as an exclusion zone ie only shatter within? -

Currently as far as I can tell the whole object is shattered therefore if I want to shatter the tops of pillar for instance I have to split it and rejoin it if I want it to behave as one object

or maybe selected polygons act as a mask??

Thanks

cagey5
12-07-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm not familiar with shatter. Where is it listed?

jeric_synergy
12-07-2012, 01:32 PM
I think (s)he means "Fracture".

circleofsmoke
12-11-2012, 12:07 AM
I think (s)he means "Fracture".
duh! yeah - what was I thinking?? it was late, very late, what can I say darling Ive been beaten up again . . .

circleofsmoke
12-11-2012, 12:09 AM
maybe an envelope that controls fracture fall-of along xyz or in the opposite direction to a selected poly normal?

stobbs
12-11-2012, 02:18 PM
This tutorial/demo shows how you can roughly change the falloff of big to small chunks using background points or geometry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRGYxLuIqNM

circleofsmoke
12-12-2012, 05:50 AM
Thanks for that - I get the background points thing - I guess I dont like the fact that the whole object shatters I like to find a way to preserve certain areas from destruction without going backwards and forwards between layers glueing things back together - Id like the control of Rayfire - but dont get me wrong this is superb compared to nothing :)

jeric_synergy
12-12-2012, 01:53 PM
In Modeler, what happens if you HIDE a portion of the mesh?

Greenlaw
12-12-2012, 02:43 PM
What I do is select the parts that I don't want affected by Bullet and move them to a separate object and then merge the polygons. You can then select the the inside faces by surface and kill the polygons. Then you can simply leave it out of the simulation completely or turn it a collision object.

Alternatively, you can use weights in Glue in Bullets to make certain regions of an object to be less likely to 'break'. Here's a simple demo I did earlier year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKAKsP3naGc

And, yes, the points in BG trick works well in controlling how you want something fracture in Modeler. Here's a short demo I did using an early release of Lightwave Bullet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT0TzT7m_ZM

Hope this helps.

G.

Greenlaw
12-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Oh, wait...I just remembered that I didn't use weights in that Glue demo. Nevermind. :p

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure I had used weights with a gradient for a test here at work last spring. I needed to create a collapsing floor effect and I either used a weight map to keep the pieces near the walls from falling--or--I simply placed the outer pieces in a separate object file and used a different Glue setting on it. I don't remember which method worked better but there you go.

G.

circleofsmoke
12-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks its all good stuff

m.d.
12-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Weights don't work with glue....don't ask me why
You can control it with textures