PDA

View Full Version : Good benchmark scene?

starbase1
12-07-2012, 07:59 AM
I've got a new PC ordered which should be with me in about a week...

Is there a scene in the LW supplied content (or elsewhere come to that) which is generally accepted as a good benchmark?

Nick

Cageman
12-09-2012, 12:34 PM
http://www.blanos.com/benchmark/

toby
12-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Usually the Tracer Radiosity or Radiosity Reflective Things - it's really hard to get an accurate benchmark when your render time is 1.1 seconds like all the other scenes. Seriously need some updates. There aren't even heavy geo or high-ram texture scenes.

Hieron
12-10-2012, 02:14 PM
imho, just using readily available Cinebench R11.5 benchmark numbers gives a very good estimate of the rendering power between different cpu's. And nothing else in a pc really matters much anyway...

http://www.cbscores.com/
All you need to know in 1 graph...

starbase1
12-10-2012, 02:31 PM
imho, just using readily available Cinebench R11.5 benchmark numbers gives a very good estimate of the rendering power between different cpu's. And nothing else in a pc really matters much anyway...

I have to disagree with that.

Insufficient memory will kill render times faster than anything else. (And having hit the buffers with my displacement mapped Moon on 12 Gb memory, the new beast is going to have 32 Gb!)

It's also very handy when setting up to have a graphics card that can hold all your hi res textures in its memory...

Nick

- - - Updated - - -

Usually the Tracer Radiosity or Radiosity Reflective Things - it's really hard to get an accurate benchmark when your render time is 1.1 seconds like all the other scenes. Seriously need some updates. There aren't even heavy geo or high-ram texture scenes.

Well, these are the Newtek forums! What better place tpo establish the new standards?

Nick

Hieron
12-10-2012, 03:25 PM
I have to disagree with that.

Insufficient memory will kill render times faster than anything else. (And having hit the buffers with my displacement mapped Moon on 12 Gb memory, the new beast is going to have 32 Gb!)

It's also very handy when setting up to have a graphics card that can hold all your hi res textures in its memory...

Nick

I thought you were looking for a good way to benchmark systems, which is usually presented based on cpu's and Cinebench is (one of) the best. Whether renders can be slower due to low memory, power cable accidentally pulled out, no more HD space, coffee into the front fan etc is usually left out of the discussion.

toby
12-10-2012, 04:27 PM
What better place tpo establish the new standards?

Nick
I see a displacement mapped moon benchmark in the near future!! But can we get Blanos to update the site? We still need a central location -

starbase1
12-12-2012, 04:49 AM
I thought you were looking for a good way to benchmark systems, which is usually presented based on cpu's and Cinebench is (one of) the best. Whether renders can be slower due to low memory, power cable accidentally pulled out, no more HD space, coffee into the front fan etc is usually left out of the discussion.

You are mixing incidents, and poor hardware management with the impact of hardware configuration.

(And I speak as someone who is a performance engineer in the day job).

if your scene does not fit in available memory it renders slowly. It is perfectly reasonable, indeed desirable to include this as a factor in a benchmark.