PDA

View Full Version : Book rigging 2012- connecting rotations to morphs, preferably with curves

jeric_synergy
12-06-2012, 12:23 PM
So, what's the name of that function that connects Bone/Joint rotation with morph percentage?

The cover of this book is rotated w/4 Joints, 3 pieces, the back cover, the spine, the front cover. I need to morph the two sets of "pages" into their "open" and "closed" states (base is "open") varying w/the Pitch rotation of the cover Joints.

I'm just disremembering the native-LW function that makes this easy peasy. Since the relation of the rotation to the state of the morph is probably not linear, some sort of curve would be nice: I can just eyeball it at various rotations to get the proper shape of the curve. In reality the morph percentages would change depending on both the spine and front cover rotation, but for production purposes just connecting the spine rotation to both morphs is probably adequate.

(everyone's seen that Maya book-rigger, right? That thing was ridiculously awesome. I don't think it's even theoretically possible to do in LW.)

RebelHill
12-06-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm just disremembering the native-LW function that makes this easy peasy.

Which one... expressions, jointMorph, relativity, nodes...

jeric_synergy
12-06-2012, 01:06 PM
"JointMorph" I think. THANKS!

Pretty olde-school.
+++
EDIT: aaaahhhnnnnddd right away I run into a problem w/JointMorphPlus: my angle is moving in a negative direction, so the min/max stuff has become quite confusing.

Nodes it is!

RebelHill
12-06-2012, 01:40 PM
my angle is moving in a negative direction, so the min/max stuff has become quite confusing.

Makes no odds... If rotations go between 0 though 90... min=0, max=90. If its 0 through -90... min=-90, max=0.

jeric_synergy
12-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Makes no odds... If rotations go between 0 though 90... min=0, max=90. If its 0 through -90... min=-90, max=0.
It doesn't make any difference, yes, but being sick has still made it confusing. It doesn't help that the JM+ ui disappears a LOT.

+++
OKay, got that working pretty well, now I need to do a similar thing but for translation (position) of the left chunk of paper: its pivot point is at the point where the two chunks of paper touch when they are unmorphed (book 'open'), so I need to relate the motion path of the left chunk to the rotation of spine Joint.

Just thinkin' 'out loud' here..... I vaguely remember that DPKit has something that will help here, with "percentage of path completed" or something... rummages in toolbox.....

RebelHill
12-07-2012, 03:15 AM
Yeah yeah... that'll be DPs motion info node ur after.

lardbros
12-07-2012, 05:34 AM
Sorry... is this because I started something by posting the Maya rig? :D Atleast you're giving it a concerted effort!!! :D I haven't even had a chance to try to get this to work. I think it's possible theoretically... it'll be interesting to see how you get on!!! :D

jeric_synergy
12-07-2012, 07:46 AM
This will in NO way approach that Maya rig, esp. with the "choose the %ge of book to have open" thing* (holy shizzniit!), but eventually I hope to have just one controller attached thru Cycler or something to open the book and maybe flip one (damn) page.

But serendipitously a job came up (that fell thru) that would have involved a book opening.

One thing: any given animator probably only needs to make ONE of these: then just change surfaces for different projects.

*AND book thickness, IIRC. --That whole thing REALLY made me lust for Maya, although I think that guy was a veritable Gandalf of scripting.

lardbros
12-07-2012, 08:51 AM
I realise it won't be that far advanced... I think that kind of thing is the staple for XSI/Maya rigs, but LW hasn't seen anything quite as incredible as that! :D

I did once see a LW rig for a birds wing, and the guy was adding and removing sections of the wing, and the whole lot was updating in real-time... with each 'limb' moving and updating to the position of the average position between each other one. Have tried looking for the video, but think it was a private video :(

Good luck with this though... I'm sure you'll get something, and can't wait to see! :D

jeric_synergy
12-08-2012, 12:53 AM
OK, to make this illlusion work, it would be helpful to move JUST two points from different objects such that they match up in space.

See attached.

The current object already has the XY of its pivot point nodally fixed to the XY of a specific point on the other object, as you can see. To complete part of the illusion, the indicated points should match up too: I want to move the left point to coincide with the right, although the right is morphing.

But, I can't remember/suss out how one can specify a specific point via the nodal displacement system for displacement, while leaving the rest alone. RH has been at pains to get me to understand that it not any one point, it's all the points simultaneously, but in this case I want it to be just two specific points moved to align with two other points on a different morphing object.

(A hacky work around would be to assign two bones w/weight maps to just those two points, and Move the bones nodally, which I DO know how to do, but that is one ugly solution.)

+++
To facilitate extra suggestions on how to address problems like the paper intersecting w/the bookcover when the cover bends shut, I'm attaching the scene in its current unfinished state.