PDA

View Full Version : Noobie Tip: Invisible surface

jeric_synergy
12-06-2012, 11:21 AM
D'oh! Just rendered something and there's these mysterious lines... ohhhhhhh. :grumpy: :chicken: 8~

Even as I made some guidelines in Modeler I thought "I should give them an invisible surface..." --but I didn't. But for you, wise noobie, here's a tip: having an Invisible Surface ready to go in Modeler can keep you from messing up your own renders if you want to leave in guidelines and rulers in your geometry.

Just set the Transparency to 100%, Spec=0, Diff=0, and you're good.

You could also make guidelines and rulers on a Hidden layer, but hey, it'sa sorta useful tip.

EDIT: Making a bunch of UTILITY SURFACES and saving them as presets, including INVISIBLE, PUREBLACK, PUREWHITE, PURECHARTREUSE, would probably be a clever thing to do, especially if they involved Shaders and plugins and whatnot.

Silkrooster
12-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Thats really not a bad idea. Sometimes aligning objects can be a bit of a pain, especially for new users. For me I pretty much rely on the grid, even though at times it even gets in the way.

jeric_synergy
12-07-2012, 01:31 AM
Thats really not a bad idea. Sometimes aligning objects can be a bit of a pain, especially for new users. For me I pretty much rely on the grid, even though at times it even gets in the way.
Unfortunately, since the grid autosizes, it's IMO not all that useful as it jumps around in scale. (IE, a fixed grid would sometimes be more useful than the autosizing grid.)

Whereas EXTEND makes creating guidelines from single points a snap. In this case I wanted to line up some morphs, and extending a single point into a line made this very easy.