PDA

View Full Version : How to get accurate 'wide angle lens' look?

Algae998
12-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Hey all,

I'm trying to get an accurate wide angle lens look on my camera in LW 9.6.
Basically, Im matchmoving a close up shot with a .45x wide angle lens. Is there a way to mimic this wide angle lens so my 3d objects have the same perspective as my video?
My original thought was that since the wide angle lens gains 45% more viewing angle, I could take the Lens Focal Length of my camera in Layout and multiply it by .45. It appears to have similar wide, zoomed-out view but I'm not sure how accurate this is.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

BeeVee
12-06-2012, 03:21 AM
Try using the Real Lens camera to set your scene with settings taken from an image taken with the real camera.

B

planarsurface
04-04-2013, 01:26 AM
Is there any way to get a barrel distortion effect like a real wide angle lens out of lightwaves cameras?

djwaterman
04-04-2013, 01:40 AM
The real cameras in Lightwave should do this, but you wont see it until you do a render, I've not tested it with VPR ( yes I just did and it doesn't show distortion in VPR either). The other option apparently is you can design your own lens with geometry, good luck with that approach. If you actually know the exact lens the footage was shot with you will probably be able to find it in the huge list of lenses for the real camera types. A little hard to match with background footage but when you can't see the distortion until you render.

BeeVee
04-04-2013, 02:18 AM
You can also match the lens to the EXIF information in an image, rather than choosing a lens manually, making composition a snap.

B

planarsurface
04-04-2013, 02:25 AM
It's not that i want to match real footage in my case. I just want to render some arch vis stills with realistic camera behaviour. Something like here http://www.elevate-studios.de/index.php?site=studio

Danner
04-04-2013, 03:12 AM
Planar, What you see on that image is not a fish eye lens, it's a panorama, either stitched or with a rotating camera. LW's Real life camera has a ton of lenses, but it doesn't have all of them, the distortion doesn't render in VPR, you need to render it out to see it.

Ztreem
04-04-2013, 04:08 AM
Planar, What you see on that image is not a fish eye lens, it's a panorama, either stitched or with a rotating camera. LW's Real life camera has a ton of lenses, but it doesn't have all of them, the distortion doesn't render in VPR, you need to render it out to see it.

Actually VPR does render all cameras in 11.5 including surface baking camera, but you have to disable draft mode.

planarsurface
04-04-2013, 06:44 AM
Planar, What you see on that image is not a fish eye lens, it's a panorama, either stitched or with a rotating camera.

I thought it is a cropped fisheye image. Anyway i want to achieve this (https://www.google.de/search?q=fischeye&hl=de&client=firefox-a&hs=UBQ&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=QXRdUcuHJdHKsga6ioC4DA&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1816&bih=1050) heavy barrel distortion at focal lengths like e.g. 8 mm. I tested some of lw's real lens cameras but i don't get this effect to happen.

dwburman
04-04-2013, 09:36 AM
There's at least one fisheye lens in the Real Lens cameras. That doesn't give you the results you want when you tweak the focal length as well?

I believe there is a fisheye camera in the Liberty3D UberCam plugin.
http://www.liberty3d.com/tools/ubercam-camera-plugin/

Another way to go about this is to undistort the footage first, add the undistorted cg elements and then redistort result back to the original state, but that would require having compositing/image manipulation software that can do those tasks.

JonW
04-04-2013, 02:21 PM
I do archvis photo montages & try to get rid of all distortion possible, it's easier to line everything up. I use LensFix (years ago it started as ptools), you can use it the other way to add barrel distortion to your images.

planarsurface
04-04-2013, 03:15 PM
I believe there is a fisheye camera in the Liberty3D UberCam plugin.
http://www.liberty3d.com/tools/ubercam-camera-plugin/

This plugin looks exactly like what i was after. Thanks for this suggestion! I played around with the focal lengths of some built in lw cameras but nothing gave me this extreme panoramic look and this kind of distortion.