PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this setup?

avkid6345
12-05-2012, 06:16 PM
What do you think of this setup? We've got our production truck setup for an upcoming football game.
http://cameron.helwege.me/uploads/3/9/7/7/3977185/8970249_orig.png
Excuse the mess, I'll put some more pictures up when everything's clean. :P I've got two Tricaster studios running 7 cameras, timewarp replay, dual layer keys (kind-of), an internet stream. Here's how the stream of video goes. It's going to seem really complicated, but with a crew of four running the truck, and a good director, it'll go okay.

Cameras 1-6 go into the first tricaster. This is where primary switching happens. Nothing running through the DDRs, camera inputs are always live on this machine. The keyer is set to external, going to a laptop running Livetext 2.1 with a scoreboard upper third.
Then the Program out of this first tricaster goes into Input 1 of the second tricaster.

The second tricaster will stay on input 1 for 90% of the program.

Camera 7 (input 2 of tricaster 2) is just a locked down shot of the scoreboard. We'll use this as a bailout shot if need be, and also maybe as a transition shot to commercial break.
Input 3 of Tricaster 2 is a duplicate of camera 3 on tricaster 1. This is our camera that we'll use for replay. We won't take this input live, but it will be selected in the effects bus for the duration of the event. Inputs 4-6 might not be used. I haven't decided yet. DDR 1 will be used for replay. DDR 2 will be used for the opening sequence, commercials, and other video playback. Keyer will be for lower thirds with rosters and stats, and displaying scores before breaks. From tricaster 2, the video gets sent to a DA for recording on LP DV, DVD, HDD and we'll also be live streaming.

Crew members in the truck:
One person is switching/robotic cam
One person is on playback/replay
One person is on graphics
One person is on sound/streaming

Questions and comments welcome!

kltv
12-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Makes sense video wise. One thing you'll want to watch out for is audio/video sync. Depending on how you've got that audio flowing, you could be setting yourself up for a little bit of lip flap. Each TriCaster is potentially adding 3-4 frames of video delay, so if you don't have the audio running all the way through both TriCasters, you might have a lipsync issue. Even then, if you are using the DDRs in the second TriCaster to feed your external audio board and then back into the first TriCaster, if it passes through both TriCasters you could have the audio sync issue again. That's tricky to deal with in this configuration.

Kris

PIZAZZ
12-06-2012, 07:33 AM
I agree with Kris. Run your audio out of your analog mixer into the first TriCaster then out of that TriCaster1 into TC2.
For redundancy and backup purposes. Also either DA or Y-Split that same PGM audio into TC2. Only use it in case you need to bypass TC1.

I built out a broadcast trailer for a client years ago with dual VT5 units in a very similar configuration. We eventually put in a Kramer 8x8 video router to assist with backup plans even more. That trailer is still out making money to this day.

Oh and turn around your TriCasters. I found they get nervous when you stare at their backsides the whole event. ;)

Seriously though, you should flip them around since they exhaust their hot air out the back of the power supply. You need to keep in mind that all the gear should suck air in the front an exhaust out the back. Then exhaust with a fan the hot air out the trailer/truck. If that is not possible then use a fan panel at the TOP to suck the hot air back into the work area to be recirculated by the A/C units. Never underestimate how important proper air flow in a rack is. It will show it's displeasure and ugly face only at the worst time.

Oh and good move btw with the Furman Power conditioner/regulator I think I see.
You do have properly adequate UPS battery backups on the TriCasters also right?

avkid6345
12-06-2012, 10:55 AM
I totally forgot to mention audio. I've got it running from the analogue mixer to Tricaster 1 AND Tricaster 2. Hopefully, as you said, Tricaster 1 is feeding Tricaster 2 to compensate for the audio delay. It's going into channels 1+2 on Tricaster 2. Knowing Murphy's Law, I've got the mixer running directly into inputs 3+4 as a backup only. As for the DDR... and I don't love this, but to keep it simple, the Tricaster 2 DDR audio isn't being routed anywhere. It's getting mixed in to the program with the Tricaster software. That's a weak point that I'll have to live with. There's only a few clips with audio anyway, so it shouldn't be a huge problem and I'm running all those clips through Final Cut as we speak to adjust levels for consistency between clips.

As for power, you're correct. That is a Furman regulator. Everything on our "Tech" circuits mains is all conditioned and regulated. There are UPS backups on each tricaster, and a third powering essential "can't just cold shutdown" equipment, analogue mixer, comm and the flat panel displays. If we lose power, we will be crippled, but the show can go on.

PIZAZZ
12-06-2012, 01:05 PM
If we lose power, we will be crippled, but the show can go on.

It sounds like you have really done your homework and planned for the inevitable. Always remember it is not "if" it is "when" something goes wrong.

kltv
12-06-2012, 02:23 PM
I totally forgot to mention audio. I've got it running from the analogue mixer to Tricaster 1 AND Tricaster 2. Hopefully, as you said, Tricaster 1 is feeding Tricaster 2 to compensate for the audio delay. It's going into channels 1+2 on Tricaster 2. Knowing Murphy's Law, I've got the mixer running directly into inputs 3+4 as a backup only. As for the DDR... and I don't love this, but to keep it simple, the Tricaster 2 DDR audio isn't being routed anywhere. It's getting mixed in to the program with the Tricaster software. That's a weak point that I'll have to live with. There's only a few clips with audio anyway, so it shouldn't be a huge problem and I'm running all those clips through Final Cut as we speak to adjust levels for consistency between clips.

As for power, you're correct. That is a Furman regulator. Everything on our "Tech" circuits mains is all conditioned and regulated. There are UPS backups on each tricaster, and a third powering essential "can't just cold shutdown" equipment, analogue mixer, comm and the flat panel displays. If we lose power, we will be crippled, but the show can go on.

Sounds like you have it covered.

Kris

joedemax
12-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Looks good! The only 2 things are:

1. I'd run TriCaster 2 in 3 camera ISO mode, that way all 3 inputs are always synced.
2. You probably already are, but run TriCaster 1 into TriCaster 2 using component video, for the least possible generation loss.

doabgah
02-26-2013, 03:40 AM
Hi,

I intrestly read all,Now i want to know about final result from Cameron H.