PDA

View Full Version : LW11: flock of one?

Spinland
12-05-2012, 02:28 PM
I know this may seem weird, but I was enjoying the somewhat-random, darting motion of a flock I just created and it hit me that it might be useful to be able to reproduce that motion for a single creature. I understand a large part of the algorithm involves interaction with other members of the flock, but isn't there something like a flock leader?

I tried a very basic test by setting the instancing numbers to 1/1/1 and setting a goal path and the singleton just sat there unmoving. Is this not possible or is there some way into fooling the system into doing this?

Many thanks in advance!

nickdigital
12-05-2012, 04:27 PM
You could do your flock simulation and then bake out the motion of the single agent that you want.

dwburman
12-06-2012, 11:34 AM
There is a "Flocking - Item Motion" motion modifier you can add to individual objects. You still need to use the Flock Master panel to set your settings and Calculate All Motions and you'll need to add a Director for your hero object to move toward or be repelled by.

You may need to add an invisible flock (not used for instances or HyperVoxels or PixieDust) for your hero object to avoid if you want that behavior.