PDA

View Full Version : Rectangle select?

KellyGriffin
12-05-2012, 11:45 AM
In Modeler, Dan Ablan's courseware talks about various ways of selecting, but (for example) if I were to make a sphere, then want to select a "cap" from it to make a dome, there also has to be a way to rectangle select what I want instead of RT>lasso the area (which Dan doesn't mention) or some of the other methods, no?

--Kelly

sami
12-05-2012, 12:05 PM
On the Select tab there is a select VOLUME button that does what you want. Click it then Drag the box to the extents you want then go to the statistics panel by clicking W if you dont already have it up and then click the + next to Points Inside, Polys Inside, or outside - you get the drift. A slight few more clicks than you'd like but does the trick.

Eventually you'll get used to tricky ways of lassoing where you let the lasso "complete itself" along the trick line you want to close the shape on depending on where you start and end the lasso shape. I rarely have to use the volume box after I figured that out.

KellyGriffin
12-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Hey Sami--

As soon as I read your "complete itself" idea I know exactly what you must be talking about... good idea, and thanks for that (I was kinda doing the opposite... DOH!).

Thanks for your help (in both ways).

--Kelly

jeric_synergy
12-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Rectangle or VOLUME select has some subtleties: there's INCLUSIVE and EXCLUSIVE mode, which are really only pertinent to polys. Basically it differs in whether a poly has to be COMPLETELY within the volume to be selected, or if any piece of it qualifies it for selection.

Visually this is indicated by a solid versus dashed line.

This was a LOT more important before Lasso was developed. Now I barely miss it, although sometimes it's handier than the alternatives.

The trick, and it's not MUCH of a trick, to using Lasso efficiently is to realize the final line the software draws is perfectly straight. Users are crap at drawing straight lines, computers are good at it, so you want to let the computer draw the straight line. Many's the time I've found myself tracing something very nitpicky when, if I had gone the other way it would have been a breeze.

Also, sometimes it makes a lot more sense to select what you DON'T want, and INVERT the selection.

If you have to make a difficult selection twice, go ahead and make a Selection Set. Odds are it'll save you time in the long run.

sami
12-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Also, sometimes it makes a lot more sense to select what you DON'T want, and INVERT the selection.

Yes. This. Remember, the doublequote " key is your friend.

Edit: so is the Select Connected ] (right-bracket) key. Often you'll want to select a poly or some points and hit the bracket and then hide or invert that selection too.

prometheus
12-06-2012, 05:00 AM
This is a shortcoming in Lightwave´s selection tools, Ivë been nagging about this for quite some time/ years ..that we would be better of with a proper rectangular marque selection than volume mode ..or having to resort to lasso when selecting points very close to each or segments.

I hope someone listen..someday, several people have been complaining about this for some time.

Resorting to inverted selection won´t work in all cases, and isn´t the first instinct a newcomer has in mind.

Michael

jeric_synergy
12-06-2012, 08:57 AM
..that we would be better of with a proper rectangular marque selection than volume mode ..or having to resort to lasso when selecting points very close to each or segments.

Define "proper": I mean, a rectangle is a rectangle. :stumped:

jwiede
12-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Define "proper": I mean, a rectangle is a rectangle. :stumped:
I think he means by drawing out a simple rectangular 2D marquee, not a volume.

jeric_synergy
12-06-2012, 11:32 AM
I think he means by drawing out a simple rectangular 2D marquee, not a volume.
::eyeroll:: That's a subset of what Volume Select does, so I'm making a dismissive, borderline obscene, gesture at the idea. ;)

jwiede
12-07-2012, 07:07 AM
::eyeroll:: That's a subset of what Volume Select does, so I'm making a dismissive, borderline obscene, gesture at the idea. ;)
To be fair, it's also vastly quicker to do, requiring a single click-drag operation for infinite-depth selection.

jeric_synergy
12-07-2012, 07:41 AM
To be fair, it's also vastly quicker to do, requiring a single click-drag operation for infinite-depth selection.
I could be halllucinationg (damn flu), but ISTM that originally, it WAS infinite depth, and the silly restriction was added at some point (fairly long ag). Or so it seems.

Certainly that restriction didn't help, but I hardly miss it once Lasso was implemented and it was removed from the spacebar cycle.

prometheus
12-07-2012, 08:36 AM
uhh..I havent got any email replies on this thread and the last answers..weird.

I will explain later about the marquee tool and why you cant use volume mode as selection mode in the same easy way, but as jwiede mentions a little a 2d "box" selection working infinitly is what we should have.

Ill be back on this later when I get the time to work with lightwave again, been a little busy with other stuff right now.

Michael

jeric_synergy
12-07-2012, 11:56 AM
I'm not disagreeing. And I could swear it originally worked that way, and the user had to take extra steps to NOT make it infinite, which I believe is what you want. Agreed.

sami
12-07-2012, 03:41 PM
You guys mean how Magnet works? (provided you stick within one Orthographic viewport - magnet's area of influence goes to infinity). But speaking of Magnet, what really bugs me is thats I can't rotate the falloff sphere in perspective view, in order to get exact regions I want to tweak - it would also be nice if falloff could be based on a background geometry shape, and/or include an *exact* vector of the apply direction. But I digress.