PDA

View Full Version : Ik in arm? You gone ta hell now!

Boobyman
12-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Much love to the Lightwave Tribe for helping me get to where i'm at with the program. I still have alongs ways to go, but because of you i've made alot of progress.

With that out of the way. Does anyone have a link to how to setup IK for the arm. I know how to set one up for a leg, but the Arm setup confuses me's alots. People have said that foward IK is better for the Arms, but i don't know. Any help is welcome family. Thanks again and HAPPY ENDINGS.:D

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h47/lan73nb/ARM-IK.jpg

nickdigital
12-05-2012, 11:06 AM
It's not that different than setting up a leg. Instead of a knee you have the elbow. What part are you having problems with?

Boobyman
12-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Honestly i need aid with the whole Whale. But for now Goal placement would help alots. In the legs i pace the goal in the calf hinge bone. With the arm i've placed in the big hand bone (Bone in controll of fingers). It doesn't work at all. Also i've tried the elbow with the same results.

nickdigital
12-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Did you set the rotations for the bones in your arm to be set to 'Inverse Kinematics' and not 'Key Frames'?

sami
12-05-2012, 08:39 PM
I've seen that a slight initial bend in the elbow at the skeleton helps the arm solves, though rigging is not the primary thing I do. Perhaps other experts like RebelHill will chime in.

RebelHill
12-06-2012, 02:23 AM
Yep, there's no difference to a leg really... IK is IK. Sami's prebend idea could well be a culprit... if your limb's initially straight IK wont work. Maybe grab yourself this months 3Dworld(163)... there's a neat lil IK tut in there for LW that highlights all the necessary basics. BTW... "forward" IK... never heard of it. Either you must mean something else, or you should probs stop listening to whoever told you it was "better".