PDA

View Full Version : Instance render issue -please help!

Simon-S
12-05-2012, 02:40 AM
Hi All,

I have a scene where I've set up a tree to be instanced across the surface of a hillside, and its all looking pretty good in openGL and in VPR it all renders fine.

The problem is when I do an f9 render none of the instances render and i'm left with a single tree in the middle of my scene.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or how to sort this?

Edit: I've just noticed that the trees are rendering with f9 but only in reflections :s
I've checked the render settings of the source object and it all looks fine.

Many Thanks,
Simon

Simon-S
12-05-2012, 03:37 AM
Looks like there's a bit of a 'gotcha' here...

Switched my camera type from 'classic' to perspective and problem solved!!

Just as a note - fiberFX was constantly crashing one me...switched camera to perspective camera and again, problem solved.

JBT27
12-05-2012, 04:46 AM
I have had aspects of this with native instancing, but still not been able to pin down what it is. VPR renders great previews, but F9 renders nothing, sometimes. I also get wildly different results in appearance between native, HD Instance and DP Instance, the third party tools. By far HDI has proven the most consistent and best looking so far (for my needs), but it's galling for the native instancer to be so tetchy. I have posted about this, but got little response. I guess it may well be something I'm doing, which is always high on the list. I had not expected it to be such a hassle and so unpredictable though.

Julian.

Sensei
12-05-2012, 05:12 AM
I guess so it's simply normal vectors that are flipped. It might happen when accidentally scale is negative.
VPR is buggy and is/was rendering flipped polygons like they would have to be double sided, therefor difference between regular F9 and VPR.
Try turning on Double Sided on the all surfaces and see whether F9 render is showing them.
If it'll start rendering them, it's normal vector flipped.

Simon-S
12-05-2012, 05:25 AM
I guess so it's simply normal vectors that are flipped. It might happen when accidentally scale is negative.
VPR is buggy and is/was rendering flipped polygons like they would have to be double sided, therefor difference between regular F9 and VPR.
Try turning on Double Sided on the all surfaces and see whether F9 render is showing them.
If it'll start rendering them, it's normal vector flipped.

All fixed now thanks ;) it turned out to be instances don't render if you're using the 'Classic' camera.