PDA

View Full Version : Workflow: unneccessary closing/reduction of panels.

jeric_synergy
12-04-2012, 07:54 PM
A longstanding (but minor) issue with Lightwave is how it makes you REopen things over and over and over and over.

for instance, I was just examining Mr. Rid's "volumetric plant via particles" scene. There's a number of particle emitters in this scene and I was working thru them one by one to determine their function.

Even though I had the Object:Properties panel Open to FX and the particles selected, everytime I switched objects LW would close the particle portion of the panel. That is SOOOooooOOOOooo convenient. (Not, obviously.)

This is just one example, I'd be grateful for more. Again, this is a place where it seems Lightwave FIGHTS the user, rather than easing their tasks. It might be easier for the programmers to code things this way, but LW doesn't exist for the programmers.

Thomas Leitner
12-05-2012, 01:25 AM
Even though I had the Object:Properties panel Open to FX and the particles selected, everytime I switched objects LW would close the particle portion of the panel. That is SOOOooooOOOOooo convenient. (Not, obviously.)

Hi,
until Newtek implement your request, you can use FX Browser for switching between FX items properties without reopen the panel again and again.
FX Browser remembers even which tab was used (if you switch between same items).

ciao
Thomas

Waves of light
12-05-2012, 02:40 AM
+1

I like the way Adobe do it, whereby you can save out your window/panel placements and have different ones for different scenarios.

Also, when pressing the shortcut keys for a certain window, it would be nice for that window to be the focus and appear in front of all the other windows e.g. CRTL+F1 for scene editor - it has never worked for me.

Also, a way inside the Node editor to change to another material. I have to go back to surface window, pick another material and then click on the 'Edit Nodes' button again. Time consuming.

jeric_synergy
12-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Hi,
until Newtek implement your request, you can use FX Browser for switching between FX items properties without reopen the panel again and again.
FX Browser remembers even which tab was used (if you switch between same items).

ciao
Thomas
Thanks for the reminder Thomas. I often use the FXBrowser, BUT it never is quite as convenient as the Properties panel, and gets lost in the flurry of open panels. (Also, sometimes I have trouble getting it to open at all.)

jeric_synergy
12-05-2012, 10:04 PM
The generic UI term for this is "Persistance of State". Users expect that things should be "as they left them", and when the software does unnecessary closing and resetting of panels it just confuses them.

Waves of light
12-06-2012, 01:15 AM
The generic UI term for this is "Persistance of State". Users expect that things should be "as they left them", and when the software does unnecessary closing and resetting of panels it just confuses them.

Yep, that makes perfect sense... Take note NT.