PDA

View Full Version : Parenting frustration

KellyGriffin
12-04-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm missing something really obvious/stupid that's driving me nuts...

I've got two objects; a logo and a door on which it's mounted. I've got the logo parented to the door. Shazam.

In Layout, I've got my static lights and camera all set up, and all I want to do is a two-keyframe animation of the door going from open to shut.

In the "Current Item" dropdown list, both the logo and the door show up (as I would expect). However, when I select "door" and rotate it, the logo doesn't travel with it. I tried switching the parenting, but same results.

What the bejeezis am I missing (besides some of my hair today)?

Thanks,

--Kelly

OnlineRender
12-04-2012, 05:33 PM
create a Null and parent both objects to the null ...and animate the null
:)

KellyGriffin
12-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Does parenting only work with more than two objects? What am I missing? If the logo is parented to the door, why would it not stay with the door when I move the door?

--K

jeric_synergy
12-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Send a screen grab of your Scene Editor.
OR, a screen grab of your logo's motion panel.

Or both, or the whole scene.
I'd think this would be obvious, but the more info you give us, the better we can help you.

And parenting does work w/more than two objects.

dwburman
12-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Parenting the logo to the door should work. I'm not sure why it doesn't. Do you have a scene to upload or at least a screen shot?

JoePoe
12-04-2012, 07:45 PM
hmmmm.

should work. Still a little unclear, did you do the parenting in Modeler or layout? (both should work btw).
If there's a key frame for the child at zero, try deleting it.

nickdigital
12-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Sounds like you don't have it parented properly. If you set up the parent-child relationship in Modeler after sending the objects to Layout I don't think that updates in Layout. If you did it in Layout it sounds like user error. As the others have said, send a screen grab if the Scene Editor or the Motion Options panel with your logo object selected.

nickdigital
12-04-2012, 07:57 PM
See if this YouTube video by bugzilla helps.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=eWqG75AjYX8

jeric_synergy
12-04-2012, 09:04 PM
If you set up the parent-child relationship in Modeler after sending the objects to Layout I don't think that updates in Layout.
I highly suspect that is true. Parenting in Modeler, or any change in the Layers panel, is not well supported across the two apps.

JoePoe
12-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Re: parenting in Modeler....

I never do, so I did a quick test..... worked fine........... this time.

jeric_synergy
12-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Oh, you can do it, send it to Layout, but it's not interactive between the two-- that is, only the first send counts. After that you can't parent or un-parent via LWM Layer panel.

sami
12-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Parenting the logo to a door should work unless you animate the door in a funky way- say you used a displacement map or some kind of morph or something to slam the door and not actually rotated or translated the door, then that wouldn't work. Remember parenting is essentially parenting an object to the other object's pivot point (which doesn't move in say a morph only animation) - so if the parent's pivot point doesn't move, neither will the child - despite the parent's point moving. If you need to parent to a point on the surface of an object, then that's a whole new kettle of fish.

If you aren't animating the door that way, then yup you are doing something wrong and we need to see the scene to tell you what you did. It really is pretty straightforward to hook them up whether in Modeler or Layout.

KellyGriffin
12-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Okay, I just found out two things: (1) I double-checked the parenting setup (and functioning) in Modeler and all's good, but no joy in Layout, and (2) somebody just learned me about "Schematic View" in Layout and the two objects were side by side with no connection. I parented there and all is well...

Thanks for your help (and I meant to post this thread in "General Support", sorry).

--Kelly