PDA

View Full Version : Please refresh my memory about Image Editor

sami
12-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Please refresh my memory about Image Editor, is there a reason that loading an object loads the associated texture images, but closing that object (or all objects which reference that image) doesn't unload the image from Modeler's Image Editor (in LW 11.03) - it's probably always worked this way, but it seems odd to me. It seems like an extra step (or a hundred depending on how many images your object loads) to have to close the object and then figure out which images were loaded by that object and then manually delete them from the Image Editor. When I want to make sure I have a "clean" Modeler I tend to quit and restart it to delete the unwanted images in there.

There must be a reason it is this way, but for some reason it escapes me and after all these years is annoying me today ;) What's up with that? If I wanted an image in Modeler separate from an object - I'd manually load it. If it's in there automatically, it should leave automatically when object is closed. Or there should be a "Purge unused textures" button.

jeric_synergy
12-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Don't bother. When next you load that scene, unreferenced images are not loaded.

sami
12-03-2012, 08:55 PM
yeah, I know, but it feels messy and also if I load another model with a similarly named texture (from a different path) then I can't tell which is which easily, Maybe I'll look into a script to purge them if it's possible until they fix this or add a purge button..

kopperdrake
12-04-2012, 04:46 AM
A 'purge' button would be a nice idea in Modeler, but it's useful to have images hanging around I find - if you're working on related objects then you don't need to keep loading them in! Swings and roundabouts.

Sensei
12-04-2012, 04:53 AM
LW doesn't know when and where image is used and by how many resources..

The same is with surfaces and other things.

sami
12-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks Sensei, Does that mean that it doesn't keep track of these resources on a per object basis? So to manually keep track, LW would have to fire an event on load of objects and associate them then. So there's no way to do that without a fundamental change in LW?

jeric_synergy
12-04-2012, 07:47 PM
yeah, I know, but it feels messy and also if I load another model with a similarly named texture (from a different path) then I can't tell which is which easily,
@^@. Or you could have a system that that generates images with more clearly differing names.

sami
12-05-2012, 12:41 AM
@^@. Or you could have a system that that generates images with more clearly differing names.

Ah, I see, so it's blame the user ;-) ... Yes, but there are many cases where that is not possible - such as loading architectural models from other companies which I need to incorporate into animations etc. In that case I might load a building or site/city object which has hundreds of sub-objects each with several UV maps. Which means if I delete one subobject from the model, it's impossible to figure out if the object-you-deleted's images are needed or not needed by other loaded objects without saving the whole thing and then quitting Modeler and then restarting it from scratch and reloading the object again. Hence the need for a PURGE button.

Sensei
12-05-2012, 03:12 AM
Thanks Sensei, Does that mean that it doesn't keep track of these resources on a per object basis? So to manually keep track, LW would have to fire an event on load of objects and associate them then. So there's no way to do that without a fundamental change in LW?

It's simply too late for that. It would mean change to every single tool, every single resource such as node, shader, texture etc. etc.
Imagine you're making custom Image node or volumetric using image or modeling tool which is using images or whatever- you have image pop-list control in GUI to pick up LWImageID (pointer to image resource). Then you keep that pointer and pass to building or evaluating routine to do something with/from that image.
User picks one of image that exist in LW - LW has no idea that node, volumetric or whatever else used that image.

probiner
12-05-2012, 04:08 AM
LW doesn't know when and where image is used and by how many resources..

The same is with surfaces and other things.

Oh yes, that kind of bites me when I want to open the image editor and need to find what's using it ala AE.

Sensei
12-05-2012, 04:24 AM
Oh yes, that kind of bits you when you want to open the image editor and need to find what's using that image.

But it has advantages: faster working, less memory used..

probiner
12-05-2012, 04:27 AM
Ah ok. Well, good there is an upside :)

jeric_synergy
12-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Ah, I see, so it's blame the user ;-) ...
Yeah, I trimmed out the 'reason' : "It feels messy".

Let me reiterate: @^@

:jam: :neener: :boogiedow