PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Alert (surfacing question)

KellyGriffin
12-03-2012, 03:23 PM
I have a typical extruded, beveled client logo, with "sides", "bevels" and "front face" surface sets saved. I'm looking for a high-gloss, black enamel look, and I snagged the "black pearl" preset, thinking Bob's my uncle with just that.

But, when I viewed it in VPR in Layout, the front faces appear to have "creases" everywhere on the front faces. What would be causing that?

Also, by the way, is "LW-Community" the best place to be posting (what could turn out to be a lot of) beginner questions?

Thank you,

--Kelly

nickdigital
12-03-2012, 03:48 PM
It might be the smoothing angle that needs to be adjusted on your surface. What does it look like when you do a F9. You could try adjusting the smoothing angle. Another thing to do with geometry that has tiny bevels like that is to cut the bevel area off the model and then paste it back on. This will create a discontinuous surface so the polygons don't try to smooth across those edges.

General Support is probably a better area to post questions.

KellyGriffin
12-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Okay, thanks Nick. I'll give 'er a go (and start posting in General Support).

--Kelly

meatycheesyboy
12-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Hi KellyGriffin, welcome aboard. If nickdigital's suggestion doesn't fix the problem, can you post a screenshot of the surface editor and also of the VPR window with the problem visible? Also, does the problem happen during F9 renders as well or just in the VPR window?

jeric_synergy
12-03-2012, 06:31 PM
.... is to cut the bevel area off the model and then paste it back on. This will create a discontinuous surface so the polygons don't try to smooth across those edges.
And then NEVER use Point Merge again!!!

In general, posting at least screen grab is a good strategy for high-quality help.

Also, never sweat OpenGL too much: it's nowhere near the final render. VPR is a million times better, but still, the final render is the, ahhh, pudding.

++
ooo, ooo, here's one! Remember Lightwave supports Ngons. If you isolate the front sections you can probably use SELECT LOOP to easily generate a nice, new ngon from a mess of knife blades one often gets from other programs.