PDA

View Full Version : fbx import

atmuc
12-03-2012, 10:51 AM
lightwave site says;

FBX is one of the standards for 3D file interchange. FBX files can be imported and exported with a few button clicks with support for bones, weights, geometry, textures, UVís, Camera, and Lights. Our FBX support makes it even easier to integrate LightWave content into a variety of pipelines including motion capture and games.

does it mean it cannot import animations? can you import multi take fbx files? i want to use lightwave with unity3d. my game assets fbx files and they have multiple animations.

Greenlaw
12-04-2012, 01:40 AM
l...does it mean it cannot import animations? can you import multi take fbx files? i want to use lightwave with unity3d. my game assets fbx files and they have multiple animations.
I'm not sure how you read that in the text but I use use FBX to import animation to Lightwave all the time--it's how we get our mocap data onto our Lightwave rigs for the 'Brudders' movies we've been making.

However, regarding multiple takes, no, Lightwave does not read multiple takes from FBX. We have to make sure our mocap FBX files contain only a single take before we can import the data into Lightwave, otherwise we don't get any animation. Sorry but I think you will need to do the same with your Unity FBX exports.

I have to confess, I'm not at all familiar with the LW to Unity workflow so hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will pop in with an answer soon.

G.