PDA

View Full Version : The Good Old Embarrasing Question from an amateur

Ty Catt
11-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Hello everyone.

What is the best method for importing .DWG files into Modeler?

It's my first time involved in a CAD project with work (stop laughing).

I see the subject comes up in the forums, but it's kind of like "...once you import CAD files into Modeler..." mentioning and never really goes beyond that.

I know you can export .DWG, and I know there is a .DXF plugin...

Is there a workaround I am missing?

Thanks everyone,

Tyler

Nicolas Jordan
11-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Export the .DWG as a .DXF out of the CAD program and load it into Accutrans. From there you can save it off as many different formats including .lwo. Accutrans is a very helpful program for converting 3d files and at $20 CDN it's a great deal for the amount of stuff it can do. I use it on a daily basis. It also works very nicely for loading and converting collada files now.

Accutrans can be downloaded here http://micromouse.ca/

If you need a free CAD program to load up .DWG files to edit and view them then I recommend DraftSight.

Ty Catt
11-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the quick info!

I actually was only handed the .DWG files, no CAD program to handle them.

But I will definately take your suggestions up and give them a try.

Thanks again,

Tyler

Dexter2999
11-30-2012, 11:19 AM
If you have Adobe Illustrator, you should be able to load it and save out as an EPS.

jeric_synergy
11-30-2012, 01:07 PM
On the free side, you should look see if Blender will import the DWG file. 2second peek suggests it does, at least to some extent.

Ty Catt
12-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Ahhh.

I will try these, too.

I have both IL and Blender.

Shouldn't be an issue.

As always, much thanks!

This forum always is a great resource!

Tyler

ApacheDriver
12-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Down load the free trial version of Rhino 3D and use it's 'best in the industry' , my opinion, conversion utility to go straight from dwg to lwo. It also allows you to control the density of the mesh as well as many other parameters. Rhino 3D is a great CAD program that I use all the time to model stuff that requires precision or needs to be in one of the zillion formats for the CAD world.

tyrot
12-02-2012, 11:58 AM
hello friend
this is my workflow

1- oakdoc's dwg to dxf converter - IT works everytime - www.oakdoc.com
2- import DWG to accutrans - and adjust the scale at save as sectiong - save as LWO
3- DONE

i used this method over hundreds of time - worked everytime.. download autodesk DWG trueview for DWG viewing .. you do not need anything else..

jeric_synergy
12-02-2012, 02:00 PM
hello friend
this is my workflow
1- oakdoc's dwg to dxf converter - IT works everytime - www.oakdoc.com
2- import DWG to accutrans - and adjust the scale at save as sectiong - save as LWO
3- DONE
i used this method over hundreds of time - worked everytime.. download autodesk DWG trueview for DWG viewing .. you do not need anything else..
Shouldn't step #2 be "import DXF" ? Otherwise what's step #1 for?

Nicolas Jordan
12-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Shouldn't step #2 be "import DXF" ? Otherwise what's step #1 for?

Yes it is import DXF since AccuTrans can't import a DWG.