PDA

View Full Version : What surface preset is being used?

sdilling
11-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Once a preset has been assigned to a surface, how can you view what preset is assigned to the surface? I can't seem to find anyplace that actually specifies what peset is assigned to a surface.

Silkrooster
11-30-2012, 01:19 AM
Thats, because, technically its not. It copies the perimeters to the surface editor. The name of the preset at that point becomes meaningless.

Markc
11-30-2012, 10:11 AM
This is something I would welcome.
Many times I have revisited a scene and wanted to use the same preset, but couldn't remember which one it was (some are very similar).
Ok I could save the surface and reload into the new scene.
Maybe someone could create an Lscript which would retrieve this info from the scene?

dwburman
11-30-2012, 11:18 PM
I don't think the name of the preset isn't stored in the scene. Object surfaces are saved in the object, not the scene, also I don't think the preset name is copied to the surface, just the settings themselves are.

You could load the object whose surface you like into your new scene and just copy/paste the surface from that object to another one (right-click on the surface name in the Surface Editor). You could Save/Load like you mentioned, or just make a new preset.

meshpig
11-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Save the preset when you apply it, click on the thumb in the presets window to rename it.

daforum
12-01-2012, 03:57 AM
I've always saved a surface as a preset after I've finished a model/ project; and named it the same as the surface name.

:dance: woo hoo! this is my post #1000 :)

meshpig
12-01-2012, 05:32 AM
... woo hoo indeed :)

prometheus
12-03-2012, 07:11 AM
There is probably room for enhancements here, couldnīt this easily be adapted so once you click on a preset it automaticly overwrite the surface name with the preset name selected?
And at the same time, fix a drag and drop method and remove the ..do you really want to replace the..Blah, unecessary requester.

Michael

Chrusion
12-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Ummm... guys... are we forgetting about the COMMENT field at the bottom of the Surface Editor? You could easily type in the name of the preset you just selected or enter a name for one when you create a new preset and name the preset the same as what you entered in the comment field. This would make a great feature request wherein when you use a preset, it's name would be auto entered into this comment field.

jeric_synergy
12-03-2012, 10:35 AM
This would make a great feature request wherein when you use a preset, it's name would be auto entered into this comment field.
I like that.

Precedent: In AE, when you alter a Render Settings or Output Template, the label changes to "based on ....".

Nicolas Jordan
12-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Ummm... guys... are we forgetting about the COMMENT field at the bottom of the Surface Editor? You could easily type in the name of the preset you just selected or enter a name for one when you create a new preset and name the preset the same as what you entered in the comment field. This would make a great feature request wherein when you use a preset, it's name would be auto entered into this comment field.

Great suggestion! I always make use of the comment field when I can but it seems like if I change the surface I usually forget to update the comment field.

jeric_synergy
12-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Maybe we can get the Surface comment field moved up to the TOP, where we might remember to use it now and again. 8~

(Good time to point out/remind people that NODES have comment fields too.)

dwburman
12-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Good suggestions RE: the comment field.

I wouldn't be for completely replacing my surface names with preset names. I suppose if you always name your surfaces for what they look like (scorched metal) rather than what part they are (gun port covers) it would make sense, but I don't always work like that.

jeric_synergy
12-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Good suggestions RE: the comment field.

I wouldn't be for completely replacing my surface names with preset names. I suppose if you always name your surfaces for what they look like (scorched metal) rather than what part they are (gun port covers) it would make sense, but I don't always work like that.
Good point: It would be damn annoying if one had already made a Surface comment, and a preset overwrote it. :chicken:

My solution (as always):

Make it user configurable (defaults to ON); PLUS
Preset names are APPENDED to any existing comment

Since it's nondestructive, having it default to ON doesn't hurt, and will alert noobies to the existence of the Comment field.