PDA

View Full Version : Hole Cutter (Newbie alert)

KellyGriffin
11-29-2012, 04:46 PM
Hey there,

I've been through the 3D Garage courseware, but I'm working on my first simple 3D client logo and I've hit a wall for which I've either got a mental block or I'm just missing something:

I imported as an EPS, but I saw right away that the wireframe shade display didn't show any holes through the letters that need holes (P, a, e, for example), and there was no "canal" (my term) segment cutting between the holes and the rest of the polygon.

I couldn't come up with a way to manually make those cuts in the wireframe, so I made a background layer of what would be the holes into a polygon, and did extrusions of foreground (filled) polygons and background "holes" polygons that I intended to use for a Boolian "subtract". I did step-by-step what Dan Ablan did in the demo to do that, but all that happened was that the wireframe appeared to have the little canals cut after that, but still no holes in the foreground.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or not seeing? Image attached for what I'm describing.

THANK YOU

--Kelly

ps: The 3D Garage courseware was good, but he kinda brushed over some of the basic tools and then jumped to (what I would call) less "everyday" kind of stuff. Are there some good tutorials that talk in a bit more detail about basic tool use? I'd like to try to not bother you guys with every little hang up I run into...

probiner
11-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Take 'P' for example. If the polygons aren't messed up and you have a cap-hole in both front and back, just select both caps and run 'Bridge'.

You could always share the object for better look.

Cheers

nickdigital
11-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Try the eps tutorial from Matt Gorner. It's about halfway down the page.
http://pixsim.com/

KellyGriffin
11-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Thanks fellers. I'll check out the EPS tutorial. What's a "cap-hole"?

--Kelly

XswampyX
11-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Try pressing 'SHIFT - T' for triple. The outer shape of your 'P' is all one poly. ie it's not connected to it's inner hole.

JoePoe
11-30-2012, 08:47 AM
I imported as an EPS, but I saw right away that the wireframe shade display didn't show any holes through the letters...

It's good that you are learning to trouble shoot this problem.... good suggestions above.
But in order to avoid the problem in the first place remember to tick the "Auto AxisDrill" box in the EPSF loader.

Are there some good tutorials that talk in a bit more detail about basic tool use?

If you haven't already, check out the 24 Hours of Training (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?77002-Hours-of-Free-LightWave-Training-(24-Hours-)) thread.