PDA

View Full Version : How to join a cube to a circle?

Johnny
11-02-2003, 09:26 AM
how to join a cube to a circle?

I have a situation in which I have a solid rectangular object whose cross-section I would like to become circular, but I can't figure out how to join them..

they each have the same number of segments. I have tried selecting points and using the Make Poly command, but I get mangled distortion..doesn't seem like the right way.

In a way, what I want to do is like skinning, except that I already have something with volume that I want to 'skin' to a circle..if that makes sense.. as opposed to a series of splines.

thank you for any clues!

Johnny

ruejos
11-02-2003, 09:35 AM
Yo! i just a newbie here...........did you try to use the BOOLEAN Commands? Hope it helps....:D

SLAYER
11-02-2003, 09:40 AM
Not sure if I get what you are saying and why would you want to use splines.
If you have a cube and a sphere, I Would use Ikedas connect tool. It is awesome and combines two different parts quickly based off of polygon selection. Very cool tool.

Of course, if your cube has onw poly on each side and the sphere has many in the portion that you would like to connect, you may get some funky results which can be modified easily though.

Also the approach on how to join these two would depend on if you want to use sub-d or not. If not, I would just manually join them probably and maybe use add edges.

Johnny
11-02-2003, 09:45 AM
here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about...sorry, I should have posted it initially..

at the bottom is the 'solid rectangle' of a bottle..I want to make a bottle which is square at the bottom, but whose neck is round (the circle)..

what I'd like to do is make an object whose cross-section goes from square to circular.

thanks!

J

http://home.earthlink.net/~zoomin/join.jpg

SLAYER
11-02-2003, 10:02 AM
I would make that disk a poly and face it toward your box. Make the top of the rectangle polys and use Ikedas connect.
I just copied your example and it worked perfectly.

Johnny
11-02-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by SLAYER
I would make that disk a poly and face it toward your box. Make the top of the rectangle polys and use Ikedas connect.
I just copied your example and it worked perfectly.

Thank you, Slayer..but what is "Ikedas connect?"...is that a plug-in? I use Mac LW, and I hear that not all plug-ins are available for the Mac.

J

SLAYER
11-02-2003, 10:19 AM
Re-read your last post and saw that you want a bottle to flow from square to round. Here is a pic showing the same method I used above. A square divided from the top view 3 x 3 making 9 polys and 12 outer points. Then a 12 sided disk with one poly facing the top of square. Ikeda Connect and tab. Add knife cuts in the newly joined polys to desired shape. Also a knife near the base.
No need to do all the beveling at the bottom that you have and you do not need that many polys. Also not sure what all of those free floating points are that you have.

Hope this helps.

If you do not have Ikedas tools, you should get them as they are free and I use them constantly. Powerful and easy tools.

SLAYER
11-02-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Johnny
Thank you, Slayer..but what is "Ikedas connect?"...is that a plug-in? I use Mac LW, and I hear that not all plug-ins are available for the Mac.

J

Ikeda Power tools are an assortment of LW plug-ins.
He appears to have them for MAC as well. Here is a link:

http://www.davidikeda.com/

Johnny
11-02-2003, 10:27 AM
Slayer...

thank you both for the link to Ikeda tools and for the beautifully efficient and clear explanation!

Johnny

colkai
11-03-2003, 08:21 AM
I think the points are left over from him merging a poly with the cross-cut sections for the box - leastways thats how it looks to me.

FenrirWolf
11-03-2003, 11:53 AM
While I have nothing to add here on the originating post, I do want to say: Those Ikeda plugins rock! I especially love the connector and super shift. The new extender is nice, too, as I use that a lot.

Very sweet, thank you for the link!

Johnny
11-06-2003, 05:07 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~zoomin/con.gif

finally got a chance to load and play with the Ikeda tools, but I'm confused about results that I get..this screen capture shows the two pieces before and after a Connect..you can see how my normals and polys are facing. (put together the before and after in PS, which is why you see them together).

The two things I don't understand are: why did I lose the bottom of the rectangular body, and why did the top part twist when connected. (tried to untwist, but it's more a matter of the wrong points being joined..it's not un-twistable).

I tried flipping polys, but got even worse results....Sorry for the extra post, and thanks for any hints!

J

thekho
11-06-2003, 05:48 PM
Select only one top of box polgyon and one top of disc then use a Ikedas connect. See below

Johnny
11-06-2003, 10:50 PM
duh! I'm both red-faced AND grateful.
thank you for the clarification!

Johnny